warren

Default Lead Wheel Weights

The other day an article in the newspaper was saying some local
government (bragging) is changing over to the no lead wheel weights. I
guess nation wide they are trying to change the wheel weights from lead
to zinc because of environmental issues. This was based on the fact
that in the article, 13 percent of vehicles loose wheel weights and
they are ground up on the road. Now my question is how the heck did
they come up with the 13 percent number? I have balanced many tires and
never really noticed missing or lost weights. Rebalances are because
less tire rubber and you install smaller weights. So anybody lost their
wheel weights? I think it is another scam by some company trying to
make a buck.

Grant Erwin

warren wrote:
The other day an article in the newspaper was saying some local
government (bragging) is changing over to the no lead wheel weights. I
guess nation wide they are trying to change the wheel weights from lead
to zinc because of environmental issues. This was based on the fact
that in the article, 13 percent of vehicles loose wheel weights and
they are ground up on the road. Now my question is how the heck did
they come up with the 13 percent number? I have balanced many tires and
never really noticed missing or lost weights. Rebalances are because
less tire rubber and you install smaller weights. So anybody lost their
wheel weights? I think it is another scam by some company trying to
make a buck.

I walk a lot and often notice wheel weights by the side of the road.
Compared to the number that remain attached, though, I would have serious
doubt about 13% coming loose. Maybe just a fnord .. - GWE
DeepDiver

"warren" wrote in message
oups.com...

The other day an article in the newspaper was saying some local
government (bragging) is changing over to the no lead wheel
weights. I guess nation wide they are trying to change the wheel
weights from lead to zinc because of environmental issues. This
was based on the fact that in the article, 13 percent of vehicles
loose wheel weights and they are ground up on the road.

Now my question is how the heck did they come up with the
13 percent number?

By using the same "scientific" methods that produced the myth of Global
Warming/Freezing (i.e., they made it up).

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:18:36 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:
"warren" wrote in message
oups.com...

The other day an article in the newspaper was saying some local
government (bragging) is changing over to the no lead wheel
weights. I guess nation wide they are trying to change the wheel
weights from lead to zinc because of environmental issues. This
was based on the fact that in the article, 13 percent of vehicles
loose wheel weights and they are ground up on the road.

Now my question is how the heck did they come up with the
13 percent number?

By using the same "scientific" methods that produced the myth of Global
Warming/Freezing (i.e., they made it up).

Sounds like you need to visit www.dhmo.org to learn about a _real_ threat.
Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

Steve Peterson

By using the same "scientific" methods that produced the myth of Global
Warming/Freezing (i.e., they made it up).

Sounds like you need to visit www.dhmo.org to learn about a _real_ threat.
Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

I have heard that crap is in all the drinking water in the USA!
Steve

BillP

Steve Peterson wrote:
By using the same "scientific" methods that produced the myth of Global
Warming/Freezing (i.e., they made it up).

Sounds like you need to visit www.dhmo.org to learn about a _real_ threat.
Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

I have heard that crap is in all the drinking water in the USA!
Steve

Yes, Steve, and it's pollulted all the world's oceane!!!
aaaaarrrrrgggg1

Bill
DeepDiver

"BillP" wrote in message ...
Steve Peterson wrote:
By using the same "scientific" methods that produced the myth of Global
Warming/Freezing (i.e., they made it up).

Sounds like you need to visit www.dhmo.org to learn about a _real_
threat.
Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

I have heard that crap is in all the drinking water in the USA!
Steve

Yes, Steve, and it's pollulted all the world's oceane!!!
aaaaarrrrrgggg1

How dare those evil American industrialists and corporations dump raw DHMO
into rivers, lakes, streams, bays, and coastal waters? Sign a petition to
demand that all companies and households store DHMO waste on site until
EPA-approved disposal methods are enacted!

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
warren wrote:
[...]

Yep!
What Grant said. I, too, have noticed wheel weights, and have picked them
up when convenient. If 13% of the autos were losing them, I'd have tons of
lead, and I don't. They make great bullets for those of us that hand load
for revolvers.

Harold

Rex B

Dave Hinz wrote:

Sounds like you need to visit www.dhmo.org to learn about a _real_ threat.
Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

Reading the FAQ, it almost reads like a parody.
It's responsible for a long list of ills from cancer to SOIL EROSION??
Death due to accidental injhalation AND decreases effectiveness of
automobile brakes???

The common uses list isn't much better:

Used to make styrofoam and used by porographers and pedaphiles??
(One does wonder...)

Used by both the KKK and the NAACP in their rallies and marches!
(How in the heck...?)

Maybe those two groups have common ground after all

DeepDiver

"Rex B" wrote in message

Dave Hinz wrote:

Sounds like you need to visit www.dhmo.org to learn about a _real_
threat.
Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

Reading the FAQ, it almost reads like a parody.

It *is* a parody. It's designed to illustrate the ease by which masses of
people can be whipped into a fearful frenzy over the "dangers" of things
they don't understand (e.g., global warming, CO2 emissions, mercury, lead,
asbestos, second-hand smoke, firearms, etc.).

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) = H2O = water.

- Michael

Rex B

DeepDiver wrote:
"Rex B" wrote in message

Dave Hinz wrote:

Sounds like you need to visit www.dhmo.org to learn about a _real_
threat.
Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

Reading the FAQ, it almost reads like a parody.

It *is* a parody. It's designed to illustrate the ease by which masses of
people can be whipped into a fearful frenzy over the "dangers" of things
they don't understand (e.g., global warming, CO2 emissions, mercury, lead,
asbestos, second-hand smoke, firearms, etc.).

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) = H2O = water.

- Michael

LOL Took me in.
And now that I've thought about it, I've seen that one before.
Gunner

warren wrote:
[...]

Ayup. I have to work hard at scrounging Wheel Weights for bullet
casting. If so many were lost, it would be far easier to get some.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:45:24 -0700, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

What Grant said. I, too, have noticed wheel weights, and have picked them
up when convenient. If 13% of the autos were losing them, I'd have tons of
lead, and I don't. They make great bullets for those of us that hand load
for revolvers.

Years ago, I bought two 5-gallon pails full of wheelweights at an
auction. Hey, 2 bucks is 2 bucks, y'know? So, I melted them down
(outside) into ingots. I've got 5 ammo cans full of wheelweight ingots,
another two full of .22 bullet lead melted into ingots, and a bunch of
picked up centerfire pistol bullets in more cans. Some day, I'll use
some of 'em. Point is, I see you're in TDS world - anywhere near
Milwaukee or Madison, and if so, do you want a can of lead WW ingots?

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:34:10 -0500, Rex B wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

Sounds like you need to visit www.dhmo.org to learn about a _real_ threat.
Nasty stuff, that DHMO...

Reading the FAQ, it almost reads like a parody.
It's responsible for a long list of ills from cancer to SOIL EROSION??
Death due to accidental injhalation AND decreases effectiveness of
automobile brakes???

All these things are true about it. Really.

The common uses list isn't much better:

Used to make styrofoam and used by porographers and pedaphiles??
(One does wonder...)

Used by both the KKK and the NAACP in their rallies and marches!
(How in the heck...?)

Maybe those two groups have common ground after all

They sure do. Maybe it's the water.

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:

What Grant said. I, too, have noticed wheel weights, and have picked

them
up when convenient. If 13% of the autos were losing them, I'd have tons

of
lead, and I don't. They make great bullets for those of us that hand

load
for revolvers.

Years ago, I bought two 5-gallon pails full of wheelweights at an
auction. Hey, 2 bucks is 2 bucks, y'know? So, I melted them down
(outside) into ingots. I've got 5 ammo cans full of wheelweight ingots,
another two full of .22 bullet lead melted into ingots, and a bunch of
picked up centerfire pistol bullets in more cans. Some day, I'll use
some of 'em. Point is, I see you're in TDS world - anywhere near
Milwaukee or Madison, and if so, do you want a can of lead WW ingots?

Dave Hinz

My addy can be misleading. I was a member of the community council when
it was first established by TDS (at least locally), so I became somewhat
familiar with them. They are a small phone company in the scheme of
things, but slowly growing by buying even smaller phone companies. That's
what happened in our case. We're in Lewis County, Washington State. The
McDaniels family started the phone company here many, many years ago, and
ran it successfully until the late 90's. They still owned the business when
we moved here from Utah. About a year later, TDS bought them and changed
the name. At that time, TDS was comprised of something like 109 small
companies spread around the nation, including another in Paonia, CO, a small
town I had visited, so I remember it well.

Bottom line: I'm a long ways away, but I sure as hell appreciate your kind
offer, which I'd snap up in a heart-beat were we closer together.

Harold

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 10:49:19 -0700, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

anywhere near
Milwaukee or Madison, and if so, do you want a can of lead WW ingots?

Bottom line: I'm a long ways away, but I sure as hell appreciate your kind
offer, which I'd snap up in a heart-beat were we closer together.

Ah well. Anyone here in the Milwaukee/Madison area who wants an ammo
can full of ingots made from wheelweight lead, just say the word.

Dave Hinz

Gunner wrote:

Ayup. I have to work hard at scrounging Wheel Weights for bullet
casting. If so many were lost, it would be far easier to get some.

Don't the folks at tire shops & garages have plenty?

--

FF

Tim Williams

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
Ah well. Anyone here in the Milwaukee/Madison area who wants an ammo
can full of ingots made from wheelweight lead, just say the word.

I could (from Beloit), but 50 miles seems a long drive just for lead. (

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 15:41:59 -0500, Tim Williams wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
Ah well. Anyone here in the Milwaukee/Madison area who wants an ammo
can full of ingots made from wheelweight lead, just say the word.

I could (from Beloit), but 50 miles seems a long drive just for lead. (

Standing offer...my address is valid, and it's not going anywhere any
time soon. Straight shot up 26 gets you almost here, I'm 6 miles out
from Jefferson.

Dave

Gunner

On 25 May 2005 15:49:45 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:45:24 -0700, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

What Grant said. I, too, have noticed wheel weights, and have picked them
up when convenient. If 13% of the autos were losing them, I'd have tons of
lead, and I don't. They make great bullets for those of us that hand load
for revolvers.

Years ago, I bought two 5-gallon pails full of wheelweights at an
auction. Hey, 2 bucks is 2 bucks, y'know? So, I melted them down
(outside) into ingots. I've got 5 ammo cans full of wheelweight ingots,
another two full of .22 bullet lead melted into ingots, and a bunch of
picked up centerfire pistol bullets in more cans. Some day, I'll use
some of 'em. Point is, I see you're in TDS world - anywhere near
Milwaukee or Madison, and if so, do you want a can of lead WW ingots?

Dave Hinz

The 22 bullet ingots are very soft and are pretty much unsuitable for
high power pistol bullets without adding some tin. They do work ok
for black powder projectiles though or low velocity smokeless loads.
They are an odd alloy.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:29:50 GMT, Gunner wrote:

The 22 bullet ingots are very soft and are pretty much unsuitable for
high power pistol bullets without adding some tin. They do work ok
for black powder projectiles though or low velocity smokeless loads.
They are an odd alloy.

My Ruger Old Army likes 'em. But, at what, 250 grains per bullet, those
cans of lead will last a gooooood long time.

Lane

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in message Of course they
did. The very notion that lead is valueless is absurd, the
stuff of housewife's tales. It is a commodity like anything else and
is
valuable in the recycle business. How folks deduct that because a
substance is controlled that it has no value is beyond me. Wouldn't a
prudent individual conclude that old wheel weights can be melted to make
*new* wheel weights?

Harold

This was true even 20-25 years ago. If a good customer asked for some old
wheel weights I'd give him a pound or so, but if it was someone I didn't
know they were sent on thier way. But I'm sure the stuff is even more
valuable now.

Lane

Mark

Glen Ashmore used to be on this group. Some of you will remember, Glen
bought wheel weights for months if not years making a circuit of tire
dealers and purchasing 1,000 pounds on each trip. His goal was to buy
enough to cast an 8,000 pound lead keel for his sailing ship. The 8,000
pounds of lead cost him about $1,000 (therefore 12-1/2 cents a pound and he
was a "quantity" buyer.

http://www.rutuonline.com/html/the_keel.html

Mark

No. And there is steady competition from the folks who use them to
cast fishing weights.

(Snip)

I wanted wheel weights for slingshot ammo and went to a few gas
stations/tire businesses thinking I would be doing them a favor by
taking the lead off their hands. Not so. All of them say they have
companies picking them up (and paying for them) to recycle. Les Schwab,
whom I have been buying tires from for years, treated me like a pan
handler/.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in message Of course

they
did. The very notion that lead is valueless is absurd, the
stuff of housewife's tales. It is a commodity like anything else and
is
valuable in the recycle business. How folks deduct that because a
substance is controlled that it has no value is beyond me. Wouldn't a
prudent individual conclude that old wheel weights can be melted to make
*new* wheel weights?

Harold

This was true even 20-25 years ago. If a good customer asked for some old
wheel weights I'd give him a pound or so, but if it was someone I didn't
know they were sent on thier way. But I'm sure the stuff is even more
valuable now.

Lane

Yep! Surprisingly, not all substances (or elements) work that way. There
was a time when you could sell mercury with no trouble. Recycle places
gladly accepted it and paid a reasonable price for it.

In the course of running the refining business I once owned, I retorted a
considerable amount of dental amalgam. It runs slightly over 50% mercury,
as I recall, and I ended up with more than 100 pounds of it over the years.
I was shocked to find that unless you have a full flask (76 pounds), even
major refiners won't accept it from you, and they won't pay for it until the
amount exceeds what I recall to be 150 pounds. You can ship a single flask
to them at your expense and they'll gladly accept it gratis. You're out
the flask and shipping. The deal was so lousy, I gave all the mercury to
the purchaser of the business when I sold it.

Harold

Tim Williams

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
What effect would a few zinc wheel weights have on an amateur (WW)
lead caster?

Lead is insoluble in zinc, however 1.8at% (gah, I hate phase diagrams not in
weight percent) zinc forms an eutectic in lead at 590K = 602°F. Above
zinc's melting point, there's about 5at% solubility. Lemme see if I can
convert that... about 1.7% max, by weight?

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Old Nick

wrote:

Yep!
What Grant said. I, too, have noticed wheel weights, and have picked them
up when convenient. If 13% of the autos were losing them, I'd have tons of
lead, and I don't. They make great bullets for those of us that hand load
for revolvers.

So is the national brain threat greater from wheel weights, or spent
rounds?
Old Nick

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:16:33 -0700, "larry g"
wrote:

and if youall wank enough, the protien balance will be upset. But by
then you'll already be...blind...to the overall problem...

shaft the lot of you US-derfending-comsumptionist-head in the sand
****wits! We are lost if you keep saying that nothing is happening,
and using peripheral stuff to ridicule real stuff (that US favorite
the straw man).

There is no problem. Hey! Pollution is not a threat! God's third
division is a pile of nonsense! So how can pollution be a threat?

Old Nick

On 24 May 2005 08:38:55 -0700, "warren"
wrote:

I withdraw from this NG. You are a bunch of FW's, With a few
exceptions, the info I have gained from here is not worth the
listening to world blindness, and US/imperial self-justification,
along with the gun theory that you need a gun to stop the other guy
with a gun, that I have to endure.

Unfortunately, the audience I aim at has already probably already cut
me off in a childish fit of self-righteous US inperialist
shoot-the-other- guy.

So **** you.

Do not bother replying. Seriously. I give up. With regret
Lane

wrote:

I withdraw from this NG. You are a bunch of FW's, With a few
exceptions, the info I have gained from here is not worth the
listening to world blindness, and US/imperial self-justification,
along with the gun theory that you need a gun to stop the other guy
with a gun, that I have to endure.

Unfortunately, the audience I aim at has already probably already cut
me off in a childish fit of self-righteous US inperialist
shoot-the-other- guy.

So **** you.

Do not bother replying. Seriously. I give up. With regret

With that kind of attitude and language, you won't be missed!

Lane

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

"Old Nick" nsnsafemail#iinet.net.au wrote in message

Do not bother replying. Seriously. I give up. With regret

With that kind of attitude and language, you won't be missed!

Lane

Seriously, what put a bee in his bonnet?

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

Lane wrote:

With that kind of attitude and language, you won't be missed!

Seriously, what put a bee in his bonnet?

Australian Happy Hour?

R,
Tom Q.
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Chuckle!

That would explain it, wouldn't it!

Harold

On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:26:38 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

.. .
Lane wrote:

With that kind of attitude and language, you won't be missed!

Seriously, what put a bee in his bonnet?

Australian Happy Hour?

R,
Tom Q.
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Chuckle!

That would explain it, wouldn't it!

Harold

From the way a few blokes I've met from down under like their
"Fosters", you'd think Aussie Happy Hour was 24 hours long.

Gunner

On Sat, 28 May 2005 22:52:20 +0800, Old Nick

wrote:

I withdraw from this NG. You are a bunch of FW's, With a few
exceptions, the info I have gained from here is not worth the
listening to world blindness, and US/imperial self-justification,
along with the gun theory that you need a gun to stop the other guy
with a gun, that I have to endure.

Unfortunately, the audience I aim at has already probably already cut
me off in a childish fit of self-righteous US inperialist
shoot-the-other- guy.

So **** you.

Do not bother replying. Seriously. I give up. With regret

So Nicky is going to once again, toss out the baby with the bathwater.
In other words..take his ball and go home because he doesnt want to
hear bad words.

Be careful not to brush against the door jam when you leave. With skin
as thin as yours..you could bruise easily, or worse

(and dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out)

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
JohnM

wrote:

I withdraw from this NG. You are a bunch of FW's, With a few
exceptions, the info I have gained from here is not worth the
listening to world blindness, and US/imperial self-justification,
along with the gun theory that you need a gun to stop the other guy
with a gun, that I have to endure.

Unfortunately, the audience I aim at has already probably already cut
me off in a childish fit of self-righteous US inperialist
shoot-the-other- guy.

So **** you.

Do not bother replying. Seriously. I give up. With regret

That's cool with me.

John
Harold and Susan Vordos

"JohnM" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

I withdraw from this NG. You are a bunch of FW's, With a few
exceptions, the info I have gained from here is not worth the
listening to world blindness, and US/imperial self-justification,
along with the gun theory that you need a gun to stop the other guy
with a gun, that I have to endure.

Unfortunately, the audience I aim at has already probably already cut
me off in a childish fit of self-righteous US inperialist
shoot-the-other- guy.

So **** you.

Do not bother replying. Seriously. I give up. With regret

That's cool with me.

John

Uh-huh!

Harold

Noob Lathe Q: Turning between centers B.B. Metalworking 53 March 10th 05 08:53 PM
Lead-Loc and Gas pipes tom w UK diy 29 June 16th 04 11:10 PM
What is the proper tool/method Roger Hull Metalworking 36 April 26th 04 05:36 PM
What Grinding Wheel to Use? Mr. Fix-It Metalworking 2 March 10th 04 05:37 PM
Grinding Wheels Jamrelliot Metalworking 21 January 7th 04 05:39 PM