Jamrelliot

Default Grinding Wheels

Do any of you metalworkers know where I can get low cost grinding wheels, 5/8"
arbor, 1/4 and 1/2"thick, 6 or 8" diameter? Wheels need to be this thin so as
to get the washers and nut back on the arbor. Also to grind a groove into the
1/2 - 3/4" round and flat high carbon steel.
I'm trying to make some woodworking tools on an old 10" tablesaw. Sort of use
it as a surface grinder. Cut a groove into an oak 2 X 4, embed and hot melt
glue the stock into this and slide it back and forth over the wheel and slowly
raise the wheel. I'll stand in back of the saw, not in front.
Is this idea worthwhile or is it too dangerous? I would appreciate any
guideance. I think it would be fun and save money at the same time.

TIA
Jim

Eide

MSC has some ( www.MSCdirect.com ) but be careful with the rpm rating. The
grinding wheels on my grinder are rated for about 3600 rpm. My table saw's
arbor is 4700 rpm. I know there are wheels rated to at least 6500 rpm, but
man that's fast. Just my two cents.

Eide

[...]

michael

Ever hear the comment, "Don't try this at home"? Have you ever seen a
wheel come apart?

mj

DanG

ROTFLMAO

greatest line yet. When I am setting up one of my "don't ever let
me see you doing this" stunts, one of my co workers usually says,
let me go dial 9, 1; so all we need to do is dial that last 1.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
gy.com...
[...]

Ljwebb11

Ever hear the comment, "Don't try this at home"? Have you ever seen a
wheel come apart?

I have yet to actually see one come apart. It happens so fast all you see is
the resulting damage and carnage after the dust clears.

Les
Roy

On 04 Jan 2004 19:39:08 GMT, (Jamrelliot) wrote:

===Do any of you metalworkers know where I can get low cost grinding wheels, 5/8"
===arbor, 1/4 and 1/2"thick, 6 or 8" diameter? Wheels need to be this thin so as
===to get the washers and nut back on the arbor. Also to grind a groove into the
===1/2 - 3/4" round and flat high carbon steel.
===I'm trying to make some woodworking tools on an old 10" tablesaw. Sort of use
===it as a surface grinder. Cut a groove into an oak 2 X 4, embed and hot melt
===glue the stock into this and slide it back and forth over the wheel and slowly
===raise the wheel. I'll stand in back of the saw, not in front.
===Is this idea worthwhile or is it too dangerous? I would appreciate any
===guideance. I think it would be fun and save money at the same time.
===
===TIA
===Jim

Well I walked into a neighbors shop as a kid and found the owner on
the floor with a hole in his head and brain matter on the floor from a
grinding wheel that exploded during use, but it was from grinding
aluminum on it. I would think this idea of using a grinding wheel on a
table saw would be relatively safe as there would not be any side
loads or abuse applied to a wheel as there is when its on a bench
grinder. Bench grinder wheels are notoroious for being abused by most
folks. I would not think it would be any worse than using and abusing
a carbide tipped saw. Those aluminum guards do little for a tooth that
comes loose during use. I had a DeWalt RAS one time that had a carbide
tooth come off during use and it went through the steel siding and
1/2" plywood panels inside the shop. Just like a bullet. I also seen
a tooth go right through the blade guard.

Provided the wheels used are rated sufficiently high enough for the
saws rpm, and considering that lots of bench grinders run at 3600 rpm,
why would it be any more dangerous to turn it on a table saw? Depth
of grind is being controlled a lot more uniformily than with a bench
grinder, no side loads are applied. May not be good for the saws
motor, so why would this idea be any worse? I'm not saying its a great
idea but no reasons other than don't try it at home have been given to
justify the answers given. basically just like a surface grinder, and
if you keep out of direct path of wheel, just like when using a bench
grinder or other equipment with rotaing wheels and blades should be no
more dangerous IMHO.

This idea gives me an idea to utilize my old RAS frame, and a motor I
have...........

Of course this is just my take on it, and I ama not an "expert" by any
means. Don;t know how accurate it will turn out using a saw for a
surface grinder, but yo should be able to get a pretty uniform and
decent finish on an item.

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Jeff Dantzler

Personally, I would never use a grinding wheel at more than
its rated speed. Never.

I am curious though why grinding wheels explode.

What are the typical reasons for a wheel going (assuming
it is not being spun faster than it was meant to) ?

One fellow mentioned grinding aluminum. What happened there?

What is the best way to get a wheel to go?

I would imagine that it is not a common occurance when the wheel
is not abused otherwise we'd hear about it more.

I recently picked up a 3/4 HP Baldor pedastal grinder at Boeing
Surplus that looked like a wheel blew up. The cast iron side guard
is in 2 pieces and the wheel was fragmented when I got it. From what
I've read, a good way to fix the side guard (cast iron?) would be
with nickel rod--any comments?

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA

Jonathan Barnes

"Jeff Dantzler" wrote in message

I am curious though why grinding wheels explode.

It's down to the stress patern, the stress is greatest at the inside, so the
crack starts there and grows outward.... when the crack reaches the
outside........

Jeff Dantzler

--
Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device
there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Harold & Susan Vordos

Personally, I would never use a grinding wheel at more than
its rated speed. Never.

I am curious though why grinding wheels explode.

Centrifugal force?

What are the typical reasons for a wheel going (assuming
it is not being spun faster than it was meant to) ?

One fellow mentioned grinding aluminum. What happened there?

Grinding aluminum in and of itself will not cause a wheel to explode. I've
ground aluminum in a centerless grinder, even with the wrong wheel
selection (aluminum oxide when silicon carbide should have been used) for
days on end and had no difficulties with the wheel aside from having to
dress far more frequently due to wheel loading. My educated guess on a
wheel that blows up from grinding aluminum is the higher forces applied to a
wheel that didn't want to cut because of that condition. One might give
a little consideration to the idea that the loading also behaves as a wedge
and opens up a crack as the soft aluminum is driven deeper into the open
structure of a wheel by the extra pressure applied by the operator in order
to get the wheel to cut when it is fully loaded. . A harder, less friable
wheel would likely reduce the chance of that happening. Regardless of the
reason, grinding aluminum isn't a great idea, even with a silicon carbide
wheel. Belt sanders are far more forgiving, likely because the belt won't
permit deep loading.

What is the best way to get a wheel to go?

Mounting one that is known to be cracked. The forces are extreme on
wheels because of their preferred operating speeds. The slightest
defect will give the wheel a good reason to let go. Always "ring" a
wheel before mounting it, and never run one that doesn't have a distinct
ring to it. Don't just set it aside, break it so someone else won't try
to run it.

Never force a wheel on the arbor. If it won't go easily, look for the
cause. In the old days of leaded bores, it was pretty easy to scrape the
bore slightly until the wheel was an easy slip fit on the mounting arbor.
You want it to be snug enough to locate, but not be forced in any way.
That would be critical if the wheel tends to tip to a side and would be
cracked when straightened. A sloppy bore would be far better.

Mounting a wheel without the blotters. Those pieces of paper attached to
grinding wheels aren't there for advertising. Wheels that have minor
variations in their thickness can be cracked by the flanges if there's not
something to average out the clamping forces. Never run grinding wheels
without using a blotter on both faces. Use a cereal or shoe box if nothing
else. You might get away with it a thousand times, but it's asking for
trouble, and is generally not forgiving when it occurs.

Always stand to the side of any grinding wheel when you first start it,
allowing it to run for an honest minute before stepping in front of it.
That's especially important with a new wheel that has not been run since
being tested at the manufacturing facility.

Running wheels beyond their rated RPM is also a dumb trick, in spite of the
fact that they are typically run at 150% of their rated speed in testing.

Side loading on a type 1 wheel can cause a wheel to come apart, and is
likely the chief cause in many instances. If one is to do grinding that
requires pressures in that direction, there are wheels designed for the
load. A good example would be the steel backed type 6 found on carbide
tool sharpening grinders.

I would imagine that it is not a common occurance when the wheel
is not abused otherwise we'd hear about it more.

If you consider the number of wheels in proper use, you're absolutely
correct. However, it's like an airplane that goes down. Because it
doesn't happen routinely, when it does happen it's big news, and is
typically fatal to the operator. After all, in most instances the wheel
is aimed at the operator. A centerless grinder is one exception, as is a
normal reciprocating surface grinder.

I recently picked up a 3/4 HP Baldor pedastal grinder at Boeing
Surplus that looked like a wheel blew up. The cast iron side guard
is in 2 pieces and the wheel was fragmented when I got it. From what
I've read, a good way to fix the side guard (cast iron?) would be
with nickel rod--any comments?

Yes, a comment that in your instance the grinder was most likely tipped over
or was otherwise struck with something. When a wheel lets go I would
expect that you would find little of the wheel on the arbor, and the cast
iron guard would likely be more like a do-it-yourself kit, certainly not
just broken in half. I'll defer to those with welding expertise where it
comes to fixing the guard.

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA

Harold

Jeff Dantzler

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for your informative post.

You're probably right about the tipped over pedastal grinder
as the wheel wasn't in that many pieces.

Cheers--Jeff Dantzler

Harold & Susan Vordos

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for your informative post.

You're probably right about the tipped over pedastal grinder
as the wheel wasn't in that many pieces.

Cheers--Jeff Dantzler

You're very welcome, Jeff.

Harold

Roy

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:55:07 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

===
[...]

I agree blotters a re important, and need to be used. Same for a
ring test before a wheel is installed and always stand off to the side
when its run or started initially, and even though I am the only one
here that uses my grinders, I always let it run up to speed for awhile
before I use it. The lousy minute or two spent waiting is better than
any amount of time in the emergency room or worse yet a morgue.

From what I have heard and was told in tech school, the grey aluminum
oxide wheel especially, as commonly found on most folks grinders can
get loaded up with aluminum or even brass etc. This hyinders the
abrasives cutting action, and increases heat generated during
grinding. Same as any abrasive will get loaded up and cause heat
buildup, but on a vitreous stone it expands in the pores between the
abrasive particles and exerts pressure on the stone which can cause
fracture of the wheel. This is still another reason to keep a
grinding wheel dressed up, especially those cheap ones that are not as
friable as the better grade of wheels. Cheap wheels are not as friable
as a good wheel and are prone to loading and by not exposing clean
sharp abrasive girt, more often than not they run hotter. Its hard to
beat a good grinding stone. I learned that from my friend who is in
the grinding business. I thought I had some great wheels until he gave
me a few that he uses. World of difference in how they cut and the
finish they leave. No more cheap wheels for me no matter what the
cost is.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Mark

Jeff Dantzler wrote:
Personally, I would never use a grinding wheel at more than
its rated speed. Never.

I am curious though why grinding wheels explode.

To add to what Roy wrote,

What I usually saw was someone would load the wheel with aluminum, brass
or rubber then turn around and grind iron.

Sparks carry heat from the wheel, if theres something in the wheel to
hold the sparks the heat stays with the wheel. With something like
aluminum or brass I think it would be friction causing heat buildup.

What is the best way to get a wheel to go?

You mean blow up??

Drop a chisel between a badly adjusted tool rest and the wheel. Sudden
stoppage will usually do it.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Martin H. Eastburn

Another point that only use coolant on those rated for that - and only have
it flow on to never sit into a pool. A stopped wheel will be heavy on
one side if stopped in a pool. That will shift the balance out...
Martin

Jeff Dantzler wrote:

[...]

Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Mark" wrote in message
snip----
What is the best way to get a wheel to go?

You mean blow up??

Drop a chisel between a badly adjusted tool rest and the wheel. Sudden
stoppage will usually do it.

Mark

The stop isn't a problem. The damage done to a wheel when the wedging
action occurs certainly can be. I recall an incident many years ago in
which we routinely ground a short piece of 3-1/2" diameter steel, three
inches long, in a centerless (Cincinnati #2). Because the size was beyond
the rated capacity of the grinder, even using our lowest height blade, the
part rode too far above center, yielding an operation running on the edge
where one shouldn't be running. The parts would traverse the blade with a
rumbling sound, one that you knew was caused by the part starting to jump
up, but always falling back in place, gradually running through the grinder.
One fateful night that was not the case. I was, fortunately, not the guy
running the job when it happened, it was on the opposite shift. One of
the parts finally made the leap out of the machine, coming back down
sideways. The grinding wheel, 6" wide and 20" diameter, driven with a 15
horse motor, was slammed to an immediate stop, wedging between the grinding
and regulating wheel on top of the carbide blade, which was shattered.
Messelman, the operator, was very pale, I was told. Go figure!

The grinding wheel had a divot removed, but after dressing to get down to a
full wheel the wheel was used again. Stopping them fast doesn't do any
damage. Apparently when they're well made, neither does wedging them!

Harold

Jeff Dantzler

Roy wrote:

[big snip]

friable as the better grade of wheels. Cheap wheels are not as friable
as a good wheel and are prone to loading and by not exposing clean
sharp abrasive girt, more often than not they run hotter. Its hard to
beat a good grinding stone. I learned that from my friend who is in
the grinding business. I thought I had some great wheels until he gave
me a few that he uses. World of difference in how they cut and the
finish they leave. No more cheap wheels for me no matter what the
cost is.

Okay, I'll bite.

What are considered the "better grade" of wheels?

I picked up a Norton Alundum course wheel to fit on a recently acquired
pedastal grinder. I've heard good things about them, but would like
to know what wheels you folks consider good.

I usually run a course wheel and a wire wheel on my bench/pedastal
grinders and grind exclusively mild steel. A machinist friend recently
showed me how to dress a wheel and it definately made a difference on
the grey wheel on my cheap, old, 6" Jet grinder. He is also turning
some spacers and a 1" to 3/4" adaptor so I can get the pedastal
grinder up and going.

I'm looking forward to turning the old Jet into a tungston grinder.
I guess all I need at this point is a TIG setup--any one got a Miller
Dynasty that's gathering dust at the back of the shop?

BTW one of my favorite abrasives is a good flap wheel (Pferd or Tiger)
on an angle grinder. These can make a bead disappear quick if I'm so
inclined (though I usually just leave them.)

Cheers--Jeff Dantzler
Roy

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:04:24 -0000, Jeff Dantzler
wrote:

snip
===Okay, I'll bite.
===
===What are considered the "better grade" of wheels?

I would assume what they mean by better grades of wheels are those
normally sold by major companies with a brand name on them and not the
el cheapo china import wheels. As good a grinder as Baldor makes,
they still supply a pi$$ poor stone on them. Not even a manufacturers
name on these wheels. I was really dissappointed in my 7" Baldors
performance when I first got it, until I got rid of the no name wheels
and put on some DoAll brand and Norton wheels.

The same is true with grinding wheels as everything else you buy. You
get what you pay for 99% of the time.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Mark

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

The grinding wheel had a divot removed, but after dressing to get down to a
full wheel the wheel was used again. Stopping them fast doesn't do any
damage. Apparently when they're well made, neither does wedging them!

Geez, what can I write?

If you want to trust your life and limb to a stressed wheel go right
ahead. God watches out for fools and drunks.

Makes me wish I saved the manual with graphics of grenaded wheels. Had
one picture of a wedge dropped between a rest and wheel to illustrate
the need for a guard. Thousand words omitted.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Mark" wrote in message

Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

The grinding wheel had a divot removed, but after dressing to get down

to a
full wheel the wheel was used again. Stopping them fast doesn't do any
damage. Apparently when they're well made, neither does wedging

them!

Geez, what can I write?

Agreed! I'm not sure who had the courage (or stupidity) to start the wheel
once the part was removed. As I stated, the crash occurred on the opposite
shift. However, when you come in to find the machine has been running for
hours, seems to me the wheel has been through the trial period that says
it's likely to stay together. It did.

If you want to trust your life and limb to a stressed wheel go right
ahead. God watches out for fools and drunks.

I'd like to think I was neither of them. I know I wasn't a drunk. On the
other hand, I'm not sure there's a God. We agnostics are like that.

Makes me wish I saved the manual with graphics of grenaded wheels. Had
one picture of a wedge dropped between a rest and wheel to illustrate
the need for a guard. Thousand words omitted.

You're talking with someone that has used grinding wheels long enough to
more than understand your point. A point I had concluded way back in the
early 60's, in fact.

Ever had any wheels blow on you? I've had two. One was on an internal
grinder with a spindle speed of 18,000 RPM. We had used the wheel way too
long (production job) and had dressed it down until it was just a thin
shell. When it blew I was standing right over it and the effect was much
like a fly landing on you. Seems all the energy was spent coming apart,
with particles so small they didn't do any damage. Call me lucky!

Second one was on a tool post grinder when I started it up without changing
the pulleys (it had been used previously for some internal work). Talk
about having your head in a dark place. A portion of the small diameter
wheel (roughly 4" diameter) was buried about 2" deep in the edge of a piece
of 3/4" plywood, a bench top. All I could visualize was my head in
place of the plywood.

I'm more careful now! :-)

Harold