Gunner

Default Grinding Wheels

On 04 Jan 2004 19:39:08 GMT, (Jamrelliot) wrote:

Do any of you metalworkers know where I can get low cost grinding wheels, 5/8"
arbor, 1/4 and 1/2"thick, 6 or 8" diameter? Wheels need to be this thin so as
to get the washers and nut back on the arbor. Also to grind a groove into the
1/2 - 3/4" round and flat high carbon steel.
I'm trying to make some woodworking tools on an old 10" tablesaw. Sort of use
it as a surface grinder. Cut a groove into an oak 2 X 4, embed and hot melt
glue the stock into this and slide it back and forth over the wheel and slowly
raise the wheel. I'll stand in back of the saw, not in front.
Is this idea worthwhile or is it too dangerous? I would appreciate any
guideance. I think it would be fun and save money at the same time.

TIA
Jim

Hummm define Low Cost.

Most surface grinder wheels are available in that diameter and that
thickness from your local machine tool supply company. They will have
a 1.25 dia hole, but a bushing may be made easily.

Ebay is a good source for such if you are too far away from a supply
house. MSC, Travers etc are good sources for catalog sales.

As for the safety...hummmm your on your own here. The grinding media
may not be good for your motor, if it is open caged.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"