Jeff Dantzler

Default Grinding Wheels

Roy wrote:

[big snip]

friable as the better grade of wheels. Cheap wheels are not as friable
as a good wheel and are prone to loading and by not exposing clean
sharp abrasive girt, more often than not they run hotter. Its hard to
beat a good grinding stone. I learned that from my friend who is in
the grinding business. I thought I had some great wheels until he gave
me a few that he uses. World of difference in how they cut and the
finish they leave. No more cheap wheels for me no matter what the
cost is.

Okay, I'll bite.

What are considered the "better grade" of wheels?

I picked up a Norton Alundum course wheel to fit on a recently acquired
pedastal grinder. I've heard good things about them, but would like
to know what wheels you folks consider good.

I usually run a course wheel and a wire wheel on my bench/pedastal
grinders and grind exclusively mild steel. A machinist friend recently
showed me how to dress a wheel and it definately made a difference on
the grey wheel on my cheap, old, 6" Jet grinder. He is also turning
some spacers and a 1" to 3/4" adaptor so I can get the pedastal
grinder up and going.

I'm looking forward to turning the old Jet into a tungston grinder.
I guess all I need at this point is a TIG setup--any one got a Miller
Dynasty that's gathering dust at the back of the shop?

BTW one of my favorite abrasives is a good flap wheel (Pferd or Tiger)
on an angle grinder. These can make a bead disappear quick if I'm so
inclined (though I usually just leave them.)

Cheers--Jeff Dantzler