Roy

Default Grinding Wheels

On 04 Jan 2004 19:39:08 GMT, (Jamrelliot) wrote:

===Do any of you metalworkers know where I can get low cost grinding wheels, 5/8"
===arbor, 1/4 and 1/2"thick, 6 or 8" diameter? Wheels need to be this thin so as
===to get the washers and nut back on the arbor. Also to grind a groove into the
===1/2 - 3/4" round and flat high carbon steel.
===I'm trying to make some woodworking tools on an old 10" tablesaw. Sort of use
===it as a surface grinder. Cut a groove into an oak 2 X 4, embed and hot melt
===glue the stock into this and slide it back and forth over the wheel and slowly
===raise the wheel. I'll stand in back of the saw, not in front.
===Is this idea worthwhile or is it too dangerous? I would appreciate any
===guideance. I think it would be fun and save money at the same time.
===
===TIA
===Jim

Well I walked into a neighbors shop as a kid and found the owner on
the floor with a hole in his head and brain matter on the floor from a
grinding wheel that exploded during use, but it was from grinding
aluminum on it. I would think this idea of using a grinding wheel on a
table saw would be relatively safe as there would not be any side
loads or abuse applied to a wheel as there is when its on a bench
grinder. Bench grinder wheels are notoroious for being abused by most
folks. I would not think it would be any worse than using and abusing
a carbide tipped saw. Those aluminum guards do little for a tooth that
comes loose during use. I had a DeWalt RAS one time that had a carbide
tooth come off during use and it went through the steel siding and
1/2" plywood panels inside the shop. Just like a bullet. I also seen
a tooth go right through the blade guard.

Provided the wheels used are rated sufficiently high enough for the
saws rpm, and considering that lots of bench grinders run at 3600 rpm,
why would it be any more dangerous to turn it on a table saw? Depth
of grind is being controlled a lot more uniformily than with a bench
grinder, no side loads are applied. May not be good for the saws
motor, so why would this idea be any worse? I'm not saying its a great
idea but no reasons other than don't try it at home have been given to
justify the answers given. basically just like a surface grinder, and
if you keep out of direct path of wheel, just like when using a bench
grinder or other equipment with rotaing wheels and blades should be no
more dangerous IMHO.

This idea gives me an idea to utilize my old RAS frame, and a motor I

Of course this is just my take on it, and I ama not an "expert" by any
means. Don;t know how accurate it will turn out using a saw for a
surface grinder, but yo should be able to get a pretty uniform and
decent finish on an item.

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.