Mark

Glen Ashmore used to be on this group. Some of you will remember, Glen
bought wheel weights for months if not years making a circuit of tire
dealers and purchasing 1,000 pounds on each trip. His goal was to buy
enough to cast an 8,000 pound lead keel for his sailing ship. The 8,000
pounds of lead cost him about $1,000 (therefore 12-1/2 cents a pound and he
was a "quantity" buyer.

http://www.rutuonline.com/html/the_keel.html

Mark

No. And there is steady competition from the folks who use them to
cast fishing weights.

(Snip)

I wanted wheel weights for slingshot ammo and went to a few gas
stations/tire businesses thinking I would be doing them a favor by
taking the lead off their hands. Not so. All of them say they have
companies picking them up (and paying for them) to recycle. Les Schwab,
whom I have been buying tires from for years, treated me like a pan
handler/.