Mr. Fix-It

Default What Grinding Wheel to Use?

Hi,
-
I've got a Sears "Drill Bit Grinding Attachment" Model No. 351.252920 I
want to setup and use. It is similar to the US General item , probably
made by them with SEARS logo added.
-
I used one of these units years ago in a tool room I was working in and
with very good results. It was used on the side of the wheel not on the
periphery. We freehand rough ground the drills first, then used this
little fixture to get balanced cutting edges. I don't care to blow up
and disintergrate a wheel. Does anybody here know what wheel to use?
-
I was thinking of calling NORTON and picking their brains.
-
Sears' 2002-2003 catalog designates Catalog Number 64536 as their wheel
to get (a 60 grit, 6" dia. x 1" thick wheel) but that wheel is no longer
available via their catalog or to Sears.com as neither is the fixture.

Looks like Drill Doctor=AE took over their previous line. I was always
told in the shop not to use steel on diamond wheels as it loads up the
wheel! We used diamond on carbide. How to redress the wheel via Drill
Doctor=AE? Or is it a throw away and just buy an expensive replacement
wheel?
-
Thanks in advance.
-
Eric

Mr. Fix-It

ttt
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What Grinding Wheel to Use?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi,
-
[...]

Doctor=AE? =A0 Or is it a throw away and just buy an expensive
replacement wheel?
-
Thanks in advance.
-
Eric

DAUBIE1

Hi to Eric,
-
I worked as a general machinist in a couple different tool and die shops
and I got mucho big time experience working with surface and OD / ID
grinders, and form grinding within tight tolerances. I also used to use
one of these drill grinding fixtures on a pedestal grinder but I don't
recall what wheel we used. We never blew a wheel up. Our sales rep was
a DO-ALL guy, all our stuff we got from him. We used NORTON wheels.
But that was a while ago and I have forgotten much of the particulars.
As well I am also losing my close vision and why, I too, want to rig up
a fixture to fine tune my rough freehand grinds. Yes, I do use
binocular magnifiers with my Progressive tri-focal eyeglasses in OSHA
approved saftey eyeglasses and a faceshield.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
REMEMEBER: BLIND IS FOREVER!!
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
The best way I have found to freehand grind drill bits, especially the
big ones is a disc or vertical belt sander.
-
I used to be able to freehand grind to within .003" TIR but that was 20
years ago! Our drills were used to finish size in production runs on
out of tool room jobs.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Anyway, some stuff for you:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Drill Grinder
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/dr...ill-grind.html
Changed:8:32 AM on Tuesday, October 1, 2002
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
The following is down page a little ways:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Drill Grinding Attachment
http://www.igs.net/~wyliecoyote/projects.htm Changed:11:32 AM on
Wednesday, March 10, 2004
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
The TINKER tool & cutter griding jig:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Lautard.Com - THE TINKER TOOL AND CUTTER GRINDING JIG
http://lautard.com/tinker-s.htm Changed:4:34 PM on Monday, March 8, 2004
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
The PROBABLE wheel to use for U.S. General's No.825 (SEARS) drilling
attachments is (but I'm not done researching this, yet):
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
NORTON: 60 grit white aluminum oxide: 32A60K5VBE (1/2 inch minimum
thickness) for high speed cutters.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Any input from the GURUS here would be appreciated. Huntress and
Vordoss come to mind immediately, maybe Gunner and Rozen.
-
Thanks in advance,
-
Kurt
{:{

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(from another BBS):
-
In my previous life (that of a tool and die maker) I used grinding
wheels extensively. We were always cautioned about grinding on the side
of a standard grinding wheel. The wheel is not intended to handle side
pressure, only pressure from the front. Consider yourself lucky that a
wheel has never blown up on you and reform yourself immediately(you've
been warned, and it won't be even a little bit funny if it happens). I
don't mean to come down on you but grinding wheels are something that
people take for granted. I've seen people grind aluminum on a wheel
meant solely for carbon steel(not good!). Also, you should be able to
get a smooth finish from the face of the wheel if it's dressed properly.
There are so many things to know about grinding wheels that it's
probably best for users to take a class at the local high school if
available. I worked with people that would always wear a face shield as
well as safety glasses when using a grinding machine. These were the
people that had actually witnessed a wheel blow up. That's proof

enough for me, later, Roger.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Used one years ago, and as far as I know there was nothing special

about
the wheel, except that it was a medium or fine grained. I have ground

on
the sides of my wheels for years when ever I wanted a smoother grind,

such
as a knife edge. I've yet to have one blow up on me, but it could

happen
tomorrow and then it will naturally be your fault for have broached

the
subject. I think the main thing is to buy a good quality wheel in

the
first place. Dale

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

-
What Grinding Wheel to Use?
-
Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Sun, Mar 7, 2004, 9:21am From:
(Mr.=A0Fix-It)
Hi,
-