Joe AutoDrill

Default How to get known?

We all work with metal in some shape or form (or are reading the group for
some other reason). I assume that many of us look for machinery from time
to time as proven by the many posts about what (insert generic object title
here) to buy.

When looking for specific info, some people ask here... Some people look in
trade publications... Some people visit the net / MSC / McMaster /
ThomasRegister / etc. eBay is sometimes a viable search area too since many
of us look for used or low cost equipment either for kicks or sometimes just
for spare parts, etc.

For our company, I hit the trade publications and web sites as often as we
can afford to. We also work very hard to have a high page rank and many
"doors" to our business via web site(s). We are on Thomas's web "thing" as
well as Zycon and a few others. Am I missing some other avenue to advertise
metalworking - or in my specialized case, production drilling machinery?

Would love to be able to grow the business... But want to make sure I'm not
missing some great opportunity to advertise somewhere just because I don't
know about it. Rather than doubling my efforts in the areas we already know
are working, I'm seeking for new ideas on where to put my time and effort...

So, I ask the question... Where do YOU look when you need equipment?

I'm going to post this separately on a woodworking group too because we do
get leads from that industry as well. However, most of the posts there are
low cost items compared to what we buy... Your answers will be more
relevant to me in my opinion.

Regards,
Joe

(Sigfile removed to make sure nobody mistakes this for spam)

Grant Erwin

I would never ever consider buying new machinery, Joe. I think 99% of this
NG's audience is home shop guys like me. The entire reason we exist in the
numbers that we do is that used industrial machinery can sometimes be had
quite cheaply. I have no opinion on your company or any of your products
or business practices, but I don't think you will find Usenet to be very
productive.

GWE

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

Rex B

I agree with Grant. I search the online want ads of newspapers in my
area, and the classifieds-only rags, plus the online forsale sites. I
also include auxtions, but I can never seem to find an interesting one
that fits my scheule.
I look for smaller lathes (mostly) in the 12" and under size, that
are for sale well below market value. I enjoy the "treasure hunt"
aspect a lot. Once I find something interesting and work the right deal
on it, I enjoy cleaning/repairing/restoring/learning/documenting a
new-to-me machine, then either keeping it for my shop or passing it to
someone who will appreciate and use it. The only new machine I have
bought is a $400 mini-mill.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

Tom Gardner

I've done well with Google pay-per-click. Any submission service I have
used is worthless. I now know your products and they are great! Word of
mouth is the best. One happy customer is worth a great deal. I'll watch
this post closely to see what ideas come up as I will benefit from this as
much as you.

Unfortunately, selling machinery in America is a dog, the US is getting out
of the business of making stuff. Open a liquor store, import Chinese stuff,
become a lawyer, invest in nursing homes and pharmaceuticals.

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
[...]

Joe AutoDrill

I would never ever consider buying new machinery, Joe. I think 99% of this
NG's audience is home shop guys like me. The entire reason we exist in the
numbers that we do is that used industrial machinery can sometimes be had
quite cheaply. I have no opinion on your company or any of your products
or business practices, but I don't think you will find Usenet to be very
productive.

I'm not necessarily looking to sell to folks on Usenet... More of my
customers are large companies or small companies doing large runs of the
same parts, etc. But I would bet that people here sometimes work for those
companies and know how they shop for their machines...

Selling on Usenet is never a good idea IMHO unless you are in a "forsale" or
similar group...

I simply want to know where people find their large purchase tools so I can
investigate for future advertising, etc.

Regards,
Joe

....sigless for this thread

Steve Peterson

[...]

There are a few companies that use eBay as an advertising tool. Every time I
am looking for a new or used piece of equipment I research it on eBay and
newsgroups first and use the info gleaned from the search to investigate the
tools and the companies that make them more thoroughly. I have yet to
purchase any machine tools from eBay but I have bought used from online
auctions and the new tools from local dealers. I don't consider a link in
your signature to be spam.
Steve

Joe AutoDrill

I've done well with Google pay-per-click.

Agreed! No argument from me on that one...

Any submission service I have used is worthless.

Do you mean the sites where you post your job and business post their bids
on the job baqck to you through the third party?

If so, those don't work for us since we sell the equipment rather than the
service most of the time.

I now know your products and they are great! Word of mouth is the best.
One happy customer is worth a great deal. I'll watch this post closely to
see what ideas come up as I will benefit from this as much as you.

Where do you want your comission check sent? grin

Unfortunately, selling machinery in America is a dog, the US is getting
out of the business of making stuff. Open a liquor store, import Chinese
stuff, become a lawyer, invest in nursing homes and pharmaceuticals.

Oy... I figure we only have a small percentage of the market. I have
nowhere to go but up. ...At least that is what I'm counting on for now!

Regards,
Joe

....sigless for this thread

Joe AutoDrill

I don't consider a link in your signature to be spam.

Thanks Steve... Either do I. But considering how sensitive some folks are
to spam, I'm going to err on the side of caution. If people REALLY want to
find my business via my link in the sig, they can look at another thread.

Regards,
Joe

....sigless for this thread

Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter

The only advice I can give you is make your website about more than
what you have for sale specifically. Have articles on buying
machinery, use of machines, downloadable manuals for the machines you
sell, pictures of the use of those products, tips and tricks of the
trade. You need to make your site a reference so that you are always
on the mind of the potential buyer. This also makes you an "expert"
which increases the chance that someone will buy from you over another
site that offers nothing.

By focusing on these ideas my website is in a position where a search
for "lathe" on google returns my site as the 4th-8th hit, all without
even thinking about ranking my site, but about helping customers.

Just my 2c

On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:58:39 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

[...]

Tom Gardner

Any submission service I have used is worthless.

Do you mean the sites where you post your job and business post their bids
on the job baqck to you through the third party?

I tried "Traffic Magnet" that does weekly submissions to search
engines...worthless!

Where do you want your comission check sent? grin

I'd rather have a warm fuzzy knowing your strong business is there when I
need it.

Unfortunately, selling machinery in America is a dog, the US is getting
out of the business of making stuff. Open a liquor store, import Chinese
stuff, become a lawyer, invest in nursing homes and pharmaceuticals.

Oy... I figure we only have a small percentage of the market. I have
nowhere to go but up. ...At least that is what I'm counting on for now!

How about a targeted push by looking at the SIC numbers of your top ten
customers and hitting those SICs? Come to think of it, just about every
brush maker would use your heads if they knew about them. I never knew
about multi-spindle heads other than our 60 fixed hole Zagar, untill one of
my techs saw one at a used machinery place and the wheels started
turning...figurativly speaking. We are just starting to set-up the
Clausing with the Commander, BTW.

Regards,
Joe

...sigless for this thread

Joe, get on the mailing lists of major auction houses that cater to
industial liquidations. The have by far the greatest bargains on
machinery. The downside is that you have to travel to the auction site
to view the equipment in person and bid, plus carry cash or have your
credit approved in advance of the auction.

In past years when I operated a small electronics manufacturing firm, I
picked up a year old $10,000 Excellon Quad Drill for $900, 2 500-Amp
electroplating power supplied for $200 each, and a Forslund automatic
circuit board screening machine for $250.

A one-way truck rental from Cleveland to Rochester, NY was another
$250, plus add $100 to grease the grunts at the auction house to load
my purchases on the truck using their fork lift, plus $90 to fly
one-way from Rochester to Cleveland and an overnight hotel stay.

The bottom line is that on just this one auction, I was able to save
about $19,000 over dealer prices at a total expenditure of less than
$2,000. All in all, not a bad 2 days work.

Most of these liquidation auctions take place at a failed specialty
firm, so you know in advance it they would have the type of equipment
on the block that you need in advance, and most of the bidders will
come from the same situation as yourself (I've never seen a large firm
put in a bid). Your other competition will likely come from the used
equipment dealers, who rarely want to bid more than 20% of what they
can re-sell the equipment for.

My almost new Bridgeport, lathe and sheet metal shear (which we used
for cutting PCB laminates) came from an auction in Memphis, where my
purchased totalled around $2,600, but shipping added another $1,100.
Beware of shipping costs on heavy equipment over significant distances!
Still, a savings of over $3,500 over local sources.

Then too, I have traveled to auctions where I didn't win anything. The
were at major hi-tech locations on both the east and west coast, where
usually a newly formed hi-tech firm is ready to purchase all the assets
of a defunct firm in the same line of business.

Just offered as a suggestion.

Harry C.

Joe, whoops...

I read you post too quickly and concluded that you were more interested
in buying machine tools for your own use, rather than selling them. My
error.

Perhaps someone else can benefit from the content of my previous post.

Harry C.

Joe AutoDrill

I read you post too quickly and concluded that you were more interested
in buying machine tools for your own use, rather than selling them. My
error.

Perhaps someone else can benefit from the content of my previous post.

I liked it anyhow for what that's worth. grin
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

ATP*

[...]

Are there any LISTSERV type email distribution lists that cater to that
segment? Although specific product pushing is not allowed, professional
lists allow contributors to post their contact information at the bottom of
their message. There are quite a few such lists and the discussions are
usually pretty industry specific and often quite technical. Another
possibility might be writing articles for trade magazines, although that
would probably be pretty time consuming.

larry g

Joe
I'm a bit surprised that you waited so long in this string to put our your
website in your signature. I'm also a bit curious as to why you have two
web sites, and why they are so different. As a big user of the web to find
stuff I perceive a good website as the front door to a business. If I can't
get what I want in two or three clicks or there is to much "flash" I'm gone.
What little I looked at your sites they are ok, at least didn't **** me off.
I followed a link to "technical" (I think) and found information on drill
bits, not what I expected. This was on the multi spindle site, looked for
the same link in the single spindle site and didn't find it. As Nick said
above it about getting hits on the search engines. It would seem to me that
you would have one site and then split if the business's are different, at
least get the layout to look the same so that people know that they are
dealing with the same person. Iggey's note about e-bay is not to far off.
Ya pay a few bucks for a listing and direct them off to your site or phone
for more information. Look up one of Wells-Index's sales for an example. I
work for a fortune 500 company and have used e-bay to find stuff and used
that information to get to the mfg of what I want.

I realize that this is a bit fragmented but ideas come faster than I can
type. Hopefully one of the ideas help a small bit.
lg
no neat sig line

I read you post too quickly and concluded that you were more interested
in buying machine tools for your own use, rather than selling them. My
error.

Perhaps someone else can benefit from the content of my previous post.

I liked it anyhow for what that's worth. grin
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013

I thought someone would suggest this, but no one has.

I would make up a questionair asking your customers how they look for
machine tools and how they found you. I would send it out with a brand
new dollar bill and suggest that the person responding give the crisp
dollar bill to some deserving boy or girl. I would also include a self
adressed stamed envelope.

Dan

Joe AutoDrill

I would make up a questionair asking your customers how they look for
machine tools and how they found you. I would send it out with a brand
new dollar bill and suggest that the person responding give the crisp
dollar bill to some deserving boy or girl. I would also include a self
adressed stamed envelope.

I'm relatively sure I know how most of my customers found me because we have
decently long discussions about their application before I sell them a
single piece of equipment... Mostly.

Usually, towards the end of the conversation - after I've promised to send
literature, a quotation with CAD drawings, etc. I ask the question of where
they found us.

Your idea is pretty interesting. If I had a base of customers I didn't know
much about, I'd seriously consider something along those lines. Right now,
I'm sur what is working, but always seeking new ideas too. Thus the thread.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

sigfile removed for this thread

Joe AutoDrill

The only advice I can give you is make your website about more than
what you have for sale specifically. Have articles on buying
machinery, use of machines, downloadable manuals for the machines you
sell, pictures of the use of those products, tips and tricks of the
trade. You need to make your site a reference so that you are always
on the mind of the potential buyer. This also makes you an "expert"
which increases the chance that someone will buy from you over another
site that offers nothing.

We are halfway there with many of those items already on the site. I
hesitate to add the articles though because people searching for drill
teams, drill instructors, military drill exercises, etc. all seem to migrate
towards articles since they have such a high word content... But as I've
said before, bandwidth is dirt cheap.

By focusing on these ideas my website is in a position where a search
for "lathe" on google returns my site as the 4th-8th hit, all without
even thinking about ranking my site, but about helping customers.

Just my 2c

$0.02 worth of info is always received gladly here! I'm impressed with your
search engine results with such a broad keyword. I get top 10 almost always
(sometimes 6 of 10) with specialized terms... But a search like "production
drilling" or even just "drill" is hard to come out on top of... In fact,
for "production drilling" we come out as result #10 only through a recent
press release...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

no sig for this discussion

Joe AutoDrill

I'm a bit surprised that you waited so long in this string to put our your
website in your signature. I'm also a bit curious as to why you have two
web sites, and why they are so different.

It was a mistake. I don't EVER want to be confused with spammers so I am
purposely taking my sig off this particular thread to avoid that
accusation... people who really want to find me can do it via other threads
where the sig is prominently shown at the bottom every time. grin I
don't think anyone here would confuse me with spammer-trash, but one or two
complaints that get you blacklisted can really hurt business...

The sites are different to get page rank under different terms. "production
drilling" and "multiple spindle heads" are sometimes thought of in teh same
realm, but because they are used in different arenas (CNC, lathe, fixtures
on assembly lines, robot handled, etc.) we chose to make some focused
sites... We have 8 or 9 up now.

It also helps with the search engine ranking since we sometimes have three
different sites in the top 10. Better odds of a clickthrough.

CLIP

What little I looked at your sites they are ok, at least didn't **** me
off.

Good!

CLIP

I realize that this is a bit fragmented but ideas come faster than I can
type. Hopefully one of the ideas help a small bit.

Anything is helpful in this "brainstorming" session... I appreciate the
thoughts and ideas!

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

no sig for this thread (when I remember!)

Old Nick

On Fri, 20 May 2005 14:41:45 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"

Build and use a trebuchet????
Joe AutoDrill

Build and use a trebuchet????

Cheaper to go up in the air with a freind in his small plane and throw loads
of flyers out... Covers more are too...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

sigless

Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:48:20 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Build and use a trebuchet????

Cheaper to go up in the air with a freind in his small plane and throw loads
of flyers out... Covers more are too...

Yanno, the "airplane scatter flyers" idea might work, but it's messy
and you can't control the distribution pattern.

They make automatic paper folding machines to put flyers in
envelopes - I wonder if they could make a folding machine that would
fold them into paper airplanes in bulk?

Then people who spot them might want to track and catch them as they
glide down... Oh, and use rice paper and soy ink for the flyers, so
the environmentalists don't complain about the leftovers.

You could always pull a "Les Nessman" and drop domesticated turkeys
out of the airplane...

-- Bruce --

Hey, I can do sig-less, too!
Gunner

On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:34:56 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Then people who spot them might want to track and catch them as they
glide down... Oh, and use rice paper and soy ink for the flyers, so
the environmentalists don't complain about the leftovers.

You could always pull a "Les Nessman" and drop domesticated turkeys
out of the airplane...

Oh the inhumanity! sob......

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Don Foreman

wrote:

So, I ask the question... Where do YOU look when you need equipment?

Disclaimer: my "business" is electronics rather than metalworking.

I puruse the trade mags and rags regularly, read the ads as much as
the 20% of technical content that has any relevance to me.

Having an informative "go to" website with some "how to" content and
examples of customer problems solved might help. Examples:

http://www.tinmantech.com/

http://www.handyharmancanada.com/

http://www.caswellplating.com/

These guys all have competitors of course, and they may not be
lowest-cost suppliers -- but I *know* that stuff I buy from them will
do what I want to do.

Joe AutoDrill

Having an informative "go to" website with some "how to" content and
examples of customer problems solved might help. Examples:

Clipped some good sites and info... Thank you!

The key here is that you found their sites... I'm positioned very well on
most content-related searches. However, I'm sure I'm missing some good
methods to publisize and/or advertise my sites. Trade magazines work in one
arena. Web promotions and/or press releases work in others. Link exchanges
simply give us a bigger footprint.

I actually contacted two of those sites for some info as they had products I
might be interested in on another front... So word of mouth is great too.

....Constantly looking for a new avenue of opportunity here...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

....no sig today either...

Bill Chernoff

You could always pull a "Les Nessman" and drop domesticated turkeys
out of the airplane...

Oh the inhumanity! sob......

what do you mean take the flyers out of the box first?