Gautam Thaker

Default can not remove 1/2 of an exterior door lock...

Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in
and out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob
part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it
in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How
can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

THanks.

George
Matt

Its hung up on the gizmo that has the dealybob that sticks into the
door frame.

Follow the directions that came with the new lock, in reverse.

Gautam Thaker

Matt wrote:
Its hung up on the gizmo that has the dealybob that sticks into the
door frame.

Follow the directions that came with the new lock, in reverse.

I have not been able to find the exact door knob as one that is there
now. For that reason I was hoping to take this off first successfully
before venturing further, even possibly taking this model with me to
find a replacement. How likely is it that the (non-exact) replacement I
have will have all the same mechanisms?

thanks.

george
The hooligan

Try taking the pins out on the hinges and removing the lock off the
door.

G. Morgan

Subject: can not remove 1/2 of an exterior door lock...
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Gautam Thaker = wrote:

I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob
part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it
in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How
can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

It's probably hung up on paint (on the outside). From the inside tap a
screwdriver in the tip of the spindle (I think that's what it's called). Should
just be able to pop the outside part into the back yard. Then you can fiddle
with the bolt to get the door open.

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Joey

Most of the locks I've seen have two screws that must be removed before
the outside part will slide out. These screws go through a plate that
is mounted on the inside. Once these two screws are removed the lock or
should I say door knob will pull out from the outside or the key side.
Sometimes you have to stick a flathead screwdriver onto the striker and
pull it inward toward the center of the lock. This will pull the
striker from the door which should open it. Normally when you pull the
lock out from the outside the striker will remain in the door and two
more screws on the side of the door must be removed. If all this
doesn't make much sense, finding a picture on the web might help.

Joey

Gautam Thaker wrote:

Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in
and out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob
part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it
in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How
can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

THanks.

George

Gautam Thaker

G. Morgan wrote:
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Gautam Thaker = wrote:

I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob
part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it
in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How
can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

It's probably hung up on paint (on the outside). From the inside tap a
screwdriver in the tip of the spindle (I think that's what it's called). Should
just be able to pop the outside part into the back yard. Then you can fiddle
with the bolt to get the door open.

Dear Mr. Morgan:

Since I removed the 2 inside screws the our side door know is lose, it
comes out partially (no sticking due to any point). It slides about 1/2
inch or so out and get stuck, as if something is holding the exterior
part from being pulled apart.

I can't remove the door from the hinges easily as the door as some heavy
duty, spring load hinges.

George.
Gautam Thaker

Joey wrote:
Most of the locks I've seen have two screws that must be removed before
the outside part will slide out. These screws go through a plate that
is mounted on the inside. Once these two screws are removed the lock or
should I say door knob will pull out from the outside or the key side.
Sometimes you have to stick a flathead screwdriver onto the striker and
pull it inward toward the center of the lock. This will pull the
striker from the door which should open it. Normally when you pull the
lock out from the outside the striker will remain in the door and two
more screws on the side of the door must be removed. If all this
doesn't make much sense, finding a picture on the web might help.

Joey

I have the inside screws out, and the outside door knob slides out the
first 1/2 inch without trouble, but then gets stuck. Is the "striker"
the piece that moves horizontally and forms the "pin" or "bolt" that
actually forms the lock?

thanks.

george

Gautam Thaker wrote:

Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in
and out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the
inside and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door
knob part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is
holding it in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some
latch? How can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a
newer one?

THanks.

George

Colbyt

"Gautam Thaker" wrote in message
Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in
and out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob
part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it
in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How
can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

THanks.

George

Think what this poster was trying to say

"Its hung up on the gizmo that has the dealybob that sticks into the
door frame."

Is that you need to remove the parts you can from the door. Most likely the
mechanism that retracts the bolt has malfunctioned. I have seen this happen
several times. You can use a screwdriver to manually move the bolt once you
slide aside or break off the broken part. Generally this requires a CCW turn
of the mechanism.

Once you can open the door you are ready to install the new lock. This is
the easy part.

Colbyt

G. Morgan

Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Gautam Thaker = wrote:

Since I removed the 2 inside screws the our side door know is lose, it
comes out partially (no sticking due to any point). It slides about 1/2
inch or so out and get stuck, as if something is holding the exterior
part from being pulled apart.

I can't remove the door from the hinges easily as the door as some heavy
duty, spring load hinges.

Hi George,

Since have you tried to forcibly hammer it out? Since the lock is trash now
anyway, it's worth a shot.

You might also try posting your question on 'alt.locksmithing'.

Good luck,

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Joey

Yes, the part you see that comes out from the edge of the door is the
striker. When the lock is working right turning it pulls the striker
inward toward the middle which opens the door. Usually there are two
parts to the inward part of the striker. One is the main door latch and
the other is the part that prevents using a credit card to open the door
without a key. Using a screwdriver or two or needlenose plies to pull
the center of the stricker inward toward the center will open the
lock/door. You might have to pull hard on this since it might be bent
by now.

This site below has the closest pic I could find of what you need to
pull on. This pic is a deadbolt but yours should like similiar.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT.../rightNavHowTo

Look for the 'latch bolt sliding into place'. You'll see part of the
center that pulls inward to open the door. I know this pic is not the
best example but hope it helps.

Gautam Thaker wrote:

Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get
in and out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the
inside and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the
door knob part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is
holding it in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some
latch? How can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a
newer one?

THanks.

George

xrongor

ding ding! we have a winner!

randy

"The hooligan" wrote in message
Try taking the pins out on the hinges and removing the lock off the
door.

Kathy

"Gautam Thaker" wrote in message

I have the inside screws out, and the outside door knob slides out the
first 1/2 inch without trouble, but then gets stuck. Is the "striker"
the piece that moves horizontally and forms the "pin" or "bolt" that
actually forms the lock?

Did you remove the circlip under the cover thingie that you took the screws
out of?

The part that pops into the door frame slides _INTO_ the doorknob assembly.
That is why you can't pull it out with out first removing the throw. That
being said, you have to get to the edge of the door some other way. Maybe
you can use a butter knife in the slot where the inside door knob goes and
twist it to work the in-out thingie.

Marc Wolfe

"Gautam Thaker" wrote in message
Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in and
out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob part)
does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it in. I
can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How can i
remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

If the latch was in the locked position when you removed the interior knob
the latch is what's holding the exterior knob in place.

From the inside look into the knob hole. You should see a slim bar
horizontally bisecting the knob hole at latch level. That slim bar should
have a hole in it in line with the lock keyway. The hole should have one
or two detente points. Put a screwdriver blade (flat) into the detentes and
turn away from the latch to unlock.

Best,

Marc

Gautam Thaker

BTW, this HAPPENS, had to do a few myself like it.
in ANY CASE, you will have to have the door OFF the hinges for a
bit to get this piece out
--Shiva--

I have a door with the lock broken in locked position. It appears I will
hvae to remove the door off the hinges to get this broken lock out.
However, this door has one of those spring loaded hinges (they close the
door automatically, more or less). Can such door be removed from hinges
while the door is in closed position?

thanks.

George

Bob DeWeese, CML

You don't have to take the door off the hinges.

BTW - This is not a binary group. Posting of pictures is frowned upon.
(Insert flame here.)

Take a large flat screwdriver and a pair of large channel locks and tear the
part of the latch unit that you can see, out of the door. Then reach in
between the door and the frame with a very thing flat screwdriver and work
the latch back into the door. You can probably get a replacement latch at
Home Depot. If you can't find one there, a locksmith will definitely stock
them. You may have to settle for one of the cheesier adjustable ones, but
to be honest, I've never seen one of them fail the way the better non
adjustable ones do.

Bobby
--
Bob DeWeese, CML
(remove"no spaamm")

Bear Lock & Security Service, Inc - A full service locksmith company
specializing in professional, cost effective solutions to your
Commercial, Residential, Safe, and Automotive Security Problems.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness;
and all these things will be added unto you. Matthew 6:33
"Gautam Thaker" wrote in message

BTW, this HAPPENS, had to do a few myself like it.
in ANY CASE, you will have to have the door OFF the hinges for a
bit to get this piece out
--Shiva--

I have a door with the lock broken in locked position. It appears I will
hvae to remove the door off the hinges to get this broken lock out.
However, this door has one of those spring loaded hinges (they close the
door automatically, more or less). Can such door be removed from hinges
while the door is in closed position?

thanks.

George

Stormin Mormon

This is Stormy The Great. I am giving you a free psychic reading. This is on
the door from the kitchen to the garage. I see you... oh, it's getting
cloudy. I see.... you going to the yellow pages and calling a locksmith....
I see you being very pleased with the excellent service.....

That will be $48.50 for psychic consultation.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Gautam Thaker" wrote in message
Hello:

I have attached a photo of the situation. One can see this long barrel
(which I am hold inward by my hands). In the horizonal bar there appear
to be this this metal thingy that prevents the barrel from sliding
out. I have tried to move, slide or rotate the retaining "clip", but do
not have magic. Any hints welcome. I am tempted to hammer on it, but the
since the whole remaining assembly hangs I am afraid of damaging something.

Gautam

Marc Wolfe wrote:
"Gautam Thaker" wrote in message

Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in and
out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob part)
does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it in. I
can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How can i
remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

If the latch was in the locked position when you removed the interior knob
the latch is what's holding the exterior knob in place.

From the inside look into the knob hole. You should see a slim bar
horizontally bisecting the knob hole at latch level. That slim bar should
have a hole in it in line with the lock keyway. The hole should have one
or two detente points. Put a screwdriver blade (flat) into the detentes

and
turn away from the latch to unlock.

Best,

Marc

----

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:35:55 -0500 Gautam Thaker
posted:

BTW, this HAPPENS, had to do a few myself like it.
in ANY CASE, you will have to have the door OFF the hinges for a
bit to get this piece out
--Shiva--

I have a door with the lock broken in locked position. It appears I will
hvae to remove the door off the hinges to get this broken lock out.

When I was 11 and my uncle was 42, he took our front door off so he
could drill a hole in it and install a peephole. It was a two inch
hole for a pointable eyeball like peephole. I was 11. I thought he
knew what he was doing. Now I'm older than he was then and I see no
need to have taken off the door. Power drills were probably a little
heavier then, but iirc he used a brace and bit.

I don't think you need to take off the door either.

However, this door has one of those spring loaded hinges (they close the
door automatically, more or less). Can such door be removed from hinges
while the door is in closed position?

thanks.

George

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
rnr_construction

"--Shiva--" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:11:59 -0500, you wrote:

I don't think you need to take off the door either.

you must never have had the door latch broken so that it could
not be moved to 'unlatch' it, have you????

--Shiva--

My door only has 1 spring hinge the one in the middle I unscrew the
middle hinge at let it snap shut.

then I can pull the top and bottem hinge pins

Bob B.

I once had a Schlage AL53PD Lever Lock detach from the latch. It was
installed by one of the contractor's laborers and he had not enganged the
latch correctly. The door was locked, steel door and frame and it was a
devil of a time getting it open. I hope I never have another one.

Bob

"--Shiva--" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:11:59 -0500, you wrote:

I don't think you need to take off the door either.

you must never have had the door latch broken so that it could
not be moved to 'unlatch' it, have you????

--Shiva--

Roger Shoaf

"Bob B." wrote in message
I once had a Schlage AL53PD Lever Lock detach from the latch. It was
installed by one of the contractor's laborers and he had not enganged the
latch correctly. The door was locked, steel door and frame and it was a
devil of a time getting it open. I hope I never have another one.

Bob

Why? Didn't you bill for your time and materials?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Bob B.

Actually, yes I did, but since I had put a high security cylinder in it a
few weeks before, the contractor didn't want to own up to it. You know, the
old "You touched it last, you screwed it up!" line. The owner didn't want
to pay for it (shouldn't have to). I got stuck in the middle as is often
the case when working with commercial new construction. I spent more time
documenting it than I did fixing it. The owner contracted with me, so I let
the owner and contractor battle it out but it's no fun being stuck in the
middle.

Bob

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Bob B." wrote in message
I once had a Schlage AL53PD Lever Lock detach from the latch. It was
installed by one of the contractor's laborers and he had not enganged the
latch correctly. The door was locked, steel door and frame and it was a
devil of a time getting it open. I hope I never have another one.

Bob

Why? Didn't you bill for your time and materials?

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.