Alec

Default How to remove rusty screw

I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double glazed
unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted
through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my screwdriver. Is
there a way to remove the screws without causing damage to the frame? TIA.

Chris Oates

"Alec" wrote in message
I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double glazed
unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted
through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my screwdriver. Is
there a way to remove the screws without causing damage to the frame? TIA.

Slot head/Posidrive or Phillips

MrCheerful

Alec wrote:
I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double
glazed unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have
rusted through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my
screwdriver. Is there a way to remove the screws without causing
damage to the frame? TIA.

Assuming they are crosshead, get the apropriate anti cam out rib
screwdriver bit and undo them.

MrCheerful

Chris Oates

"MrCheerful" wrote in message
Alec wrote:
I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double
glazed unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have
rusted through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my
screwdriver. Is there a way to remove the screws without causing
damage to the frame? TIA.

Assuming they are crosshead, get the apropriate anti cam out rib
screwdriver bit and undo them.

I thought your spell checker had failed
but no - summat I've never heard of
http://tinyurl.com/gp4r

parish

Chris Oates wrote:

"Alec" wrote in message
I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double glazed
unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted
through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my screwdriver. Is
there a way to remove the screws without causing damage to the frame? TIA.

Slot head/Posidrive or Phillips

Either way, try *tightening* them a tad first, then undoing them.

CJ

I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double
glazed unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have
rusted through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my
screwdriver. Is there a way to remove the screws without causing
damage to the frame? TIA.

Slot head/Posidrive or Phillips

Either way, try *tightening* them a tad first, then undoing them.

Or give them a whack using an old, strong, screwdriver as a punch and a
hammer. They'll often just spin out once the rust bonds have been broken
by the shock treatment.

That would work as well of course (since the object is to break the bond
as you said) though I think the screwdriver would punch a hole through
uPVC should it slip when you whack it with the hammer which is why I
suggested the tightening method.

yea,,, you need to be a good shot.... good point ;-)
--
remove ".nospam" from my reply address
Alec

"Alec" wrote in message
I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double glazed
unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted
through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my screwdriver. Is
there a way to remove the screws without causing damage to the frame? TIA.

Thanks for many helpful comments. I will try the more gentle method, though
standing on a ladder and my hand on an awkward angle it isn't easy to apply
solid pressure.

BTW, what kind of screws do I use as replacements - brass, SS, galvanised?
As I live near the sea it doesn't take long for the rust to appear on
anything metallic.

Alec

BigWallop

"Alec" wrote in message

"Alec" wrote in message
I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double

glazed
unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted
through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my screwdriver. Is
there a way to remove the screws without causing damage to the frame?

TIA.

Thanks for many helpful comments. I will try the more gentle method,

though
standing on a ladder and my hand on an awkward angle it isn't easy to

apply
solid pressure.

BTW, what kind of screws do I use as replacements - brass, SS, galvanised?
As I live near the sea it doesn't take long for the rust to appear on
anything metallic.

Alec

http://www.mutr.co.uk/MechComp/Mech_screws_nscrew.htm

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:47:03 +0100, "Alec"
wrote:

But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted
through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my screwdriver.

Diamond paste in oil, sold as "magic screwdriver grip". It's
impressively effective.

A good screwdriver bit helps too. I have a Wiha with diamond-plated
faces that is handy for awkward ones. They don't last though, so don't
use it for "everyday".