CJ

Default How to remove rusty screw

I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double
glazed unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have
rusted through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my
screwdriver. Is there a way to remove the screws without causing
damage to the frame? TIA.

Slot head/Posidrive or Phillips

Either way, try *tightening* them a tad first, then undoing them.

Or give them a whack using an old, strong, screwdriver as a punch and a
hammer. They'll often just spin out once the rust bonds have been broken
by the shock treatment.

That would work as well of course (since the object is to break the bond
as you said) though I think the screwdriver would punch a hole through
uPVC should it slip when you whack it with the hammer which is why I
suggested the tightening method.

yea,,, you need to be a good shot.... good point ;-)
--
remove ".nospam" from my reply address