Alec

Default How to remove rusty screw

"Alec" wrote in message
I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double glazed
unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted
through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my screwdriver. Is
there a way to remove the screws without causing damage to the frame? TIA.

Thanks for many helpful comments. I will try the more gentle method, though
standing on a ladder and my hand on an awkward angle it isn't easy to apply
solid pressure.

BTW, what kind of screws do I use as replacements - brass, SS, galvanised?
As I live near the sea it doesn't take long for the rust to appear on
anything metallic.

Alec