meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:35:55 -0500 Gautam Thaker
posted:

BTW, this HAPPENS, had to do a few myself like it.
in ANY CASE, you will have to have the door OFF the hinges for a
bit to get this piece out
--Shiva--

I have a door with the lock broken in locked position. It appears I will
hvae to remove the door off the hinges to get this broken lock out.

When I was 11 and my uncle was 42, he took our front door off so he
could drill a hole in it and install a peephole. It was a two inch
hole for a pointable eyeball like peephole. I was 11. I thought he
knew what he was doing. Now I'm older than he was then and I see no
need to have taken off the door. Power drills were probably a little
heavier then, but iirc he used a brace and bit.

I don't think you need to take off the door either.

However, this door has one of those spring loaded hinges (they close the
door automatically, more or less). Can such door be removed from hinges
while the door is in closed position?

thanks.

George

Meirman