ississauga

Default How to remove stair railing?

Can oak stair rails and spindles be removed?, are these screwed in?
Any tips/tricks on removing them without damaging them since they need
to be put back.

If they are built so the spindles must be cut at the treads to remove
them, what technique to use to reattach them?
Greg G.

ississauga said:

Can oak stair rails and spindles be removed?, are these screwed in?
Any tips/tricks on removing them without damaging them since they need
to be put back.

If they are built so the spindles must be cut at the treads to remove
them, what technique to use to reattach them?

Dude, you need to go to the local library and get a few books on home
improvement and general carpentry and woodworking. ;-)

But to answer your question as best as I can, some balusters are glued
in, some are simply pressed in, some have nails driven crosswise into
the ends where they enter the banister and stair treads.

Anyway you look at it, it going to be a PITA job! I would pick the
least exposed spindle (so that any damage is more easily concealed)
and look for small nails or other fasteners. If I found none, I would
attempt to pull the joint apart. If it breaks and/or you see the
remnants of glue, you're in trouble! You could try gently heating the
joints in an attempt to soften the glue, or try a solvent, but either
way, it going to be a PITA. If the joint comes apart easily, you're
in luck, they are just pressed together. Good Luck!

FWIW,

Greg G.
George

Piggyback - spindles are not always structural. Sometimes they're held in
place by moldings applied over them. In any case, some study required to
ascertain what manner of beast you're dealing with. One thing I can say
with confidence, younger the staircase, more likely to be fastener-based.

Greg G. wrote in message
ississauga said:

Can oak stair rails and spindles be removed?, are these screwed in?
Any tips/tricks on removing them without damaging them since they need
to be put back.

If they are built so the spindles must be cut at the treads to remove
them, what technique to use to reattach them?

Dude, you need to go to the local library and get a few books on home
improvement and general carpentry and woodworking. ;-)

JerryMouse

ississauga wrote:
Can oak stair rails and spindles be removed?, are these screwed in?
Any tips/tricks on removing them without damaging them since they need
to be put back.

If they are built so the spindles must be cut at the treads to remove
them, what technique to use to reattach them?

Idea (I've never done it).

Reciprocating saw to remove. Number them as you remove.

Double end screw to attach to stair, dowel-and-glue to attach to bannister.

Joe Bobst

Can oak stair rails and spindles be removed?,

Why on earth do you need to remove them? Rethink your project in the fashion
of, "Don't lower the river, raise the bridge". If you just need them out of the
way to refinish yhe treads and risers, then a bit more diligent handwork may
turn out to be far less damaging. HTH

Joe