Marc Wolfe

"Gautam Thaker" wrote in message
Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in and
out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob part)
does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it in. I
can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How can i
remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

If the latch was in the locked position when you removed the interior knob
the latch is what's holding the exterior knob in place.

From the inside look into the knob hole. You should see a slim bar
horizontally bisecting the knob hole at latch level. That slim bar should
have a hole in it in line with the lock keyway. The hole should have one
or two detente points. Put a screwdriver blade (flat) into the detentes and
turn away from the latch to unlock.

Best,

Marc