Colbyt

"Gautam Thaker" wrote in message
Hello:

I am trying to replace a kitchen/outside door that is stuck in locked
position ( I can not open the door, and must use other doors to get in
and out of the house.)

i bought a replacement lock (it has door knob (w/ key slot) on the
outside, and a handle on the inside.) I removed the screws on the inside
and that part comes out easily. Yet, the outside part (the door knob
part) does not come out. Something in the lock mechanism is holding it
in. I can't still open the door. Is there some trick? some latch? How
can i remove this lock so that I may replace it with a newer one?

THanks.

George

Think what this poster was trying to say

"Its hung up on the gizmo that has the dealybob that sticks into the
door frame."

Is that you need to remove the parts you can from the door. Most likely the
mechanism that retracts the bolt has malfunctioned. I have seen this happen
several times. You can use a screwdriver to manually move the bolt once you
slide aside or break off the broken part. Generally this requires a CCW turn
of the mechanism.

Once you can open the door you are ready to install the new lock. This is
the easy part.

Colbyt