wmbjk

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:57:05 GMT, "daestrom"
wrote:

"wmbjk" wmbjk@remove_this citlink.net wrote in message
.. .

It happens to me *every* time I get out of the car (AZ). I sort of
smack the window frame as I get out, which lessens the effect, and
eliminates the surprise. Strangely enough, it *never* happens to my
wife, who wears very similar clothing.

Wayne

Perhaps it's her shoes. Similar clothing would *generate* similar charge,
but a different kind of shoe could dissipate the charge faster.

Similar shoes most times as well.

Or maybe she holds onto the door when getting out?

We both get out while opening the door by its plastic handle. She's
usually on the passenger side, so I just asked her if she gets a shock
when getting out after driving. She says she might have. So maybe the
charge builds through the steering wheel? Still, it seems like there
must be some other difference. One more thing... I can't remember ever
getting zapped when driving the truck. So, same guy, same clothes,
same (or similar) cloth upholstery, same route, yet a major difference
in the shock frequency. Is it possible that the vehicles could be
getting charged up from driving on dusty roads, and that the lower
ground clearance of the car makes for more charge?

Wayne
Gymmie Bob

This is why self fueling gas pumps have signs that tell you it is illegal to
block the pump on with any mechanical means.

We just saw a little clip from the security camera tape at a gas pump where
this happenned. It wasn't funny for the woman in the film.

Jerry cans are to be grounded with a ground strap here before filling or
emptying. (I assume just the metal ones). To many nice vehicles have been
damaged by this. Plastic pickup bed liners have made this worse.

"ledbalon" wrote in message
There was news show that was talking about the static electric discharge
causing several car fires.. Mostly happening to women.. They get out of
the car.. start the pump. get back into the car to get cc etc.. or to
stay warm.. get out of the car.. touch the fuel filler nozzel and Zap SE
discharge and vaporizing fuel pouring out of the fill nozzle..

Just another reason to ground oneself getting in and out of the car.

Steve

daestrom wrote:
"wmbjk" wmbjk@remove_this citlink.net wrote in message

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:11:59 GMT, Anthony Matonak
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The static is cause by your clothing rubbing against the seat

upholstery
when you get out. Easy to prevent, just drive naked.

If you choose to continue wearing clothing, hold the keys in your hand
as
you get out. Now, touch the key to the door frame and see the spark
jump.
Once grounded, you can close the door wit no shock.

You could also just hold on to the frame of the car as you slide out.
This will ground out the charge as soon as it builds, no sparks.

It seems to me that it happens more with nylon and synthetic fibers
than with cotton. Changing what you wear and using anti-static
sprays on the seats might help.

Anthony

It happens to me *every* time I get out of the car (AZ). I sort of
smack the window frame as I get out, which lessens the effect, and
eliminates the surprise. Strangely enough, it *never* happens to my
wife, who wears very similar clothing.

Wayne

Perhaps it's her shoes. Similar clothing would *generate* similar

charge,
but a different kind of shoe could dissipate the charge faster. Or

maybe
she holds onto the door when getting out?

daestrom

daestrom

"Gymmie Bob" wrote in message
This is why self fueling gas pumps have signs that tell you it is illegal
block the pump on with any mechanical means.

We just saw a little clip from the security camera tape at a gas pump
where
this happenned. It wasn't funny for the woman in the film.

Jerry cans are to be grounded with a ground strap here before filling or
emptying. (I assume just the metal ones). To many nice vehicles have been
damaged by this. Plastic pickup bed liners have made this worse.

In NY its posted that cans must be removed from the vehicle and placed on
the ground next to the pump prior to filling (metal or plastic). This is to
help eliminate this hazard. The signs also warn of keeping the nozzle in
contact with the can while filling.

Of course, hoisting a five gal can in and out of a truck can be a pain, but
better safe than sorry.

daestrom

daestrom

wrote:

"wmbjk" wmbjk@remove_this citlink.net wrote in message
. ..

[...]

IIRC, most modern tires have enough carbon in the rubber that they can
dissipate static charge through them. I do remember old gas tankers that
would drag a short length of chain under them to keep them 'grounded', but
haven't seen that in years.

Maybe the upholstery or foam cushions underneath?

daestrom

Gymmie Bob

After getting a nasty poke under a 230kV line some investigations started to
occur. Before the investigators could get my vehicle back to the spot on a
nice sunny dry day the tires got changes and they could not duplicate the
potential hazard. I registered 760Vac to puddle and they could only get 150
or so.
Another utility bloke told me radial tires have less problem with it. It may
have something to do with the bands of steel going full to the rim in
radials.

wrote:

[...]

suzn

"daestrom" wrote in message
Perhaps it's her shoes. Similar clothing would *generate* similar charge,
but a different kind of shoe could dissipate the charge faster. Or maybe
she holds onto the door when getting out?

It happens regardless of my shoes. Different shoes same shock. As long as
am sitting there is no shock. I am sitting as I open the door and when I get
out of the car
both feet on the ground and I turn to close the door I get zapped. It
happens every time
so I know to expect it. You can actually hear it.

suzn

"wmbjk" wmbjk@remove_this citlink.net wrote in message

We both get out while opening the door by its plastic handle. She's
usually on the passenger side, so I just asked her if she gets a shock
when getting out after driving. She says she might have. So maybe the
charge builds through the steering wheel? Still, it seems like there
must be some other difference. One more thing... I can't remember ever
getting zapped when driving the truck. So, same guy, same clothes,
same (or similar) cloth upholstery, same route, yet a major difference
in the shock frequency. Is it possible that the vehicles could be
getting charged up from driving on dusty roads, and that the lower
ground clearance of the car makes for more charge?

I get the same shock when I get out of my husbands truck, passenger side.
He never gets shocked. So it must be me......

Edwin Pawlowski

"suzn" wrote in message

I get the same shock when I get out of my husbands truck, passenger side.
He never gets shocked. So it must be me......

He may be holding the door frame or a body part when he gets out.

TURTLE

p j m@see _my _sig _for_address.com wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:29:21 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Most winters it is dry enough here that I want to add humidity for
personal comfort. Any energy used to achieve that I don't consider
wasted, but well spent. .

Irrelevant to what was being discussed in this particular subthread.

But this is a sub-sub thread making it relevant again.

nazi ! nazi ! nazi !

Now the thread will die .....

Paul

This is Turtle.

Well Hell-o Paul and it is funny to see you over here at frugal-living
newsgroup ! I did not know you was into that kind of thing.

TURTLE

Don Ocean

Gymmie Bob wrote:
It's usually the clothes, seat material combination, no the static buildup
of tires This doesn't happen with radials, so I''m told. It happenned a lot
with bias ply tires.

Nope... It had to do with the seat covers and fabric.. Nylon was
quite popular. Your car chasis is isolated from ground-Ground. In other
words your frame floats to any electrical level the environment allows
it to. So grounding it to the road alleviates the problem.. Give it
a try.. Tires really don't have any function in this other then
insulating you from the ground. Have you ever heard of a vehicle being
struck by lightning?

wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Install a ground strap to drag from the car frame.. They were quite
common in the late 1950's to early 1960's.

Don Ocean

wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

faster. Or maybe she holds onto the door when getting out?

daestrom

Actually the hose and nozzle are grounded by fire code!

Don Ocean

daestrom wrote:
"Gymmie Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Not quite true. All states have farm pickups, construction pickups and
governmental service pickups that have on board tanks installed just for
servicing other equipment. Everything from AvGas to Grade 4 fuels. And
of course this falls under federal jurisdiction as it is interstate
transports as soon as any vehicle touchs a highway or road. A point
in case is that most pickups don't have a hose system to unload from
Auxillary in bed tanks..thus the cans have to be fill at the pickup bed
level. I am sure that you remember the tanker trucks going down the
road with a piece of chain dragging from the frame and sparking
everytime it bounced on the road.

Don Ocean

suzn wrote:
"wmbjk" wmbjk@remove_this citlink.net wrote in message

We both get out while opening the door by its plastic handle. She's
usually on the passenger side, so I just asked her if she gets a shock
when getting out after driving. She says she might have. So maybe the
charge builds through the steering wheel? Still, it seems like there
must be some other difference. One more thing... I can't remember ever
getting zapped when driving the truck. So, same guy, same clothes,
same (or similar) cloth upholstery, same route, yet a major difference
in the shock frequency. Is it possible that the vehicles could be
getting charged up from driving on dusty roads, and that the lower
ground clearance of the car makes for more charge?

I get the same shock when I get out of my husbands truck, passenger side.
He never gets shocked. So it must be me......

He doesn't wear pantyhose.. Its the fabric and female hair is drier
then male generally. I guess that makes you a hot Mamma.. ;-p

KLS

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:59:49 -0600, "suzn"
wrote:

It happens regardless of my shoes. Different shoes same shock. As long as
am sitting there is no shock. I am sitting as I open the door and when I get
out of the car
both feet on the ground and I turn to close the door I get zapped. It
happens every time
so I know to expect it. You can actually hear it.

This happens to me every single time I rent a Chevy Cavalier,
regardless of the state I'm renting in. Very weird, and I thought
there must be something wrong with the cars themselves since it
doesn't happen with any other car, leather or upholstered.

Don Ocean wrote:
Gymmie Bob wrote:
It's usually the clothes, seat material combination, no the static

buildup
of tires This doesn't happen with radials, so I''m told. It

happenned a lot
with bias ply tires.

Nope... It had to do with the seat covers and fabric.. Nylon was
quite popular. Your car chasis is isolated from ground-Ground. In

other
words your frame floats to any electrical level the environment

allows
it to. So grounding it to the road alleviates the problem.. Give it
a try.. Tires really don't have any function in this other then
insulating you from the ground. Have you ever heard of a vehicle

being
struck by lightning?

Myth: Cars are safe from lightning because the rubber tires insulate
them from the ground.

Truth: Rubber tires provide no protection from lightning. Cars are
safe because of their metal shell and steel frame. Convertibles are
not safe.

Cars are safe because they act like a Faraday Cage.

Peter Bruells

Don Ocean writes:

Nope... It had to do with the seat covers and fabric.. Nylon was
quite popular. Your car chasis is isolated from ground-Ground. In
other words your frame floats to any electrical level the
environment allows it to. So grounding it to the road alleviates the
problem.. Give it a try.. Tires really don't have any function in
this other then insulating you from the ground. Have you ever heard
of a vehicle being struck by lightning?

Absoultey. Vehicles, inluding ships and planes, get regulary hit by
lighting. However, as long as they have a metal frame, they work like
a Faraday cage and thus protect the passengers inside.

Besides, with lighning, a little bit of rubber doesn't help that
much. Lighting are powerful and will glady travel through feeble
insoluation of even yards through air.
Steve Spence

Rod Speed appears to be Irrelevant.

Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust
http://www.green-trust.org

Contributing Editor
http://www.off-grid.net
http://www.rebelwolf.com/essn.html

Rod Speed wrote:
Steve Spence wrote in message

A tea kettle on the woodstove doesn't waste much energy,

Irrelevant to the Lennox claim about their humidifiers.

and helps our breathing a lot.

Irrelevant to the Lennox claim about their humidifiers.

wrote:

Just got a call from Lennox International's Engineering VP Mark Hogan, after
sending the president and legal department a detailed email with
calculations.

He said "You are correct. Winter humidification wastes energy. We will
modify the energy savings claim on our Aprilaire humidifier web site." :-)

Nick

http://lennox.com/pdfs/brochures/Len...umidifiers.pdf

wrote:

It happens regardless of my shoes. Different shoes same shock. As

long as
am sitting there is no shock. I am sitting as I open the door and

when I get
out of the car
both feet on the ground and I turn to close the door I get zapped.

It
happens every time
so I know to expect it. You can actually hear it.

This happens to me every single time I rent a Chevy Cavalier,
regardless of the state I'm renting in. Very weird, and I thought
there must be something wrong with the cars themselves since it
doesn't happen with any other car, leather or upholstered.

Same here but for me it's my work car, a Dodge Intrepid. The shock is
so big and loud, clients often comment because they hear it too.

Rod Speed

wrote in message
ps.com...

Don Ocean wrote:
Gymmie Bob wrote:
[...]

And hardly anyone gets struck by lightning in a convertible.

So they are clearly safe enough.

Cars are safe because they act like a Faraday Cage.

And convertibles are safe for other reasons.

Rod Speed

"Don Ocean" wrote in message
daestrom wrote:
"Gymmie Bob" wrote in message

[...]

Nope.

A point in case is that most pickups don't have a hose system to unload from
Auxillary in bed tanks..thus the cans have to be fill at the pickup bed level.
I am sure that you remember the tanker trucks going down the road with a piece
of chain dragging from the frame and sparking everytime it bounced on the
road.

They dont anymore tho.

Vlad

After playing with multi hygrometers and humidistat's in different
rooms, timers to select the proper room to be humidified and
decreasing the humidity when the outside temperature is cooler, I
realized that a 300 W electric kettle running all the time except when
the r/u exceeds 40 % does ( in my case) a perfect job,
The annual cost is about $45 US .

I will keep using it.

Vlad

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:49:16 -0600, "suzn"
wrote:

wrote in message

We might explore a different myth. Does anyone have any real non-anecdotal
evidence that low humidity actually causes health problems? Do people who
live in Arizona have more or fewer respiratory problems than the rest of
us?

I dont have any extreme proof that lower humidity in the home effects ones
health
but since I started using a DEhumidifier I have no traces of mold anywhere
in my home
and no condensation on any window glass. I also noticed I stopped sneezing
100 times a day
and a cough that dragged on for weeks mysteriously disapearred practically
over night.
The house actually feels warmer (dryer air?) and my gas billed dropped
$12.00 from last month.
So I dunno......

Swiss people open windows and crawl under thick quilts in unheated
bedrooms
in wintertime because they believe that cold dry winter air is
healthier...

Nick

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Don Ocean wrote:
Gymmie Bob wrote:
[...]

Hardly anyone follows your advice, ******.

The experts say:

"The car itself is very well insulated and offers more protection than
being outside. the exception to this is the convertible, which provides
virtually no protection."

"http://www.tinleyparkema.org/TPEMA_Tips1.html

So they are clearly safe enough.

So is sitting next to a terrorist who's on holiday.

Trust the experts folks and not Rod.

"Seek shelter inside a building or an automobile, but not a
convertible or a golf cart."

http://www.floridadisaster.org/hwa03/printer_lightning_safety.htm

Cars are safe because they act like a Faraday Cage.

And convertibles are safe for other reasons.

Not in a lightning storm.

Keep to the subject you are an expert on, getting welfare and ****.

Thank you.

Rod Speed

wrote in message
ups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Don Ocean wrote:
Gymmie Bob wrote:
[...]

Plenty do. And those who ride bikes and motorbikes do in spades.

The experts say:

"The car itself is very well insulated and offers more
protection than being outside. the exception to this is
the convertible, which provides virtually no protection."
"http://www.tinleyparkema.org/TPEMA_Tips1.html

And hardly any of those in convertibles, on bikes or motorbikes
actually get killed or even crashed due to lightning. Funny that.

So they are clearly safe enough.

So is sitting next to a terrorist who's on holiday.

Trust the experts folks and not Rod.

No thanks, not when they cant explain why so few of those
who ride bikes or motorbikes get struck by lightning.

"Seek shelter inside a building or an automobile,
but not a convertible or a golf cart."
http://www.floridadisaster.org/hwa03/printer_lightning_safety.htm

How odd that so many who ride bikes or motorbikes
dont bother and manage to survive anyway.

Cars are safe because they act like a Faraday Cage.

And convertibles are safe for other reasons.

Not in a lightning storm.

Yep, just like with those who ride bikes or motorbikes too.

Not a ****ing clue, as always.

Rod Speed

"Vlad" wrote in message
After playing with multi hygrometers and humidistat's in different
rooms, timers to select the proper room to be humidified and
decreasing the humidity when the outside temperature is cooler, I
realized that a 300 W electric kettle running all the time except when
the r/u exceeds 40 % does ( in my case) a perfect job,

The annual cost is about $45 US .

Only if the humidity is hardly ever below 40%

I will keep using it.

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Rodtarded Speed wrote:

Not a ****ing clue, as always.

Tell us something about yourself that we don't already know.

Thank you.

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Don Ocean wrote:
Gymmie Bob wrote:
[...]

There you have it folks, the "expert" has spoken.

Blindly follow his advice or research it yourself,
here's a start:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-06,GGLD:en&q=struck+by+lightning+riding+motorcycle

Serendipity

Vlad wrote:

After playing with multi hygrometers and humidistat's in different
rooms, timers to select the proper room to be humidified and
decreasing the humidity when the outside temperature is cooler, I
realized that a 300 W electric kettle running all the time except when
the r/u exceeds 40 % does ( in my case) a perfect job,
The annual cost is about $45 US .

I will keep using it.

Isn't there the possibility of the kettle overheating and causing a
fire? I would be very concerned about this. I would think an actual
humidifier even if table top model would be safer. I would also think
that actual humidifier whether in the furnace or tap top would be
cheaper to run than $45 a year. YMMV

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Rod Speed

wrote in message
oups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Don Ocean wrote:
Gymmie Bob wrote:
[...]

Anyone with a clue has noticed plenty continuing to ride their bikes
and motorbikes every day and how few ever get struck by lightning.

And how few furiously knock on the windows of cars
to be allowed into the 'faraday cage' in spades.

Rod Speed

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
desperately attempted to
bull**** its way out of its predicament in message
oups.com...
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Don Ocean wrote:
Gymmie Bob wrote:
[...]

We can only hope that you do the same, ******.

Rod Speed

wrote in message
oups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Don Ocean wrote:
Gymmie Bob wrote:
[...]

Even you should be able to bull**** your way out of your
predicament better than that pathetic effort, ****wit child.

Obviously not.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
I am sure that you remember the tanker trucks going down the road with a
piece of chain dragging from the frame and sparking everytime it bounced
on the road.

They dont anymore tho.

Some still do. The Osterman truck that delivers propane to out shop has a
series of chains.

George Grapman

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...

Don Ocean wrote:

Gymmie Bob wrote:

[...]

Another fact filed reply from Mr. Welfare.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Rod Speed

George Crapchild wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
oglegroups.com...

Don Ocean wrote:

Gymmie Bob wrote:

[...]

More puerile **** from the crapchild.

I have never ever accepted a cent in welfare, ever.

We arent stupid enough to hand out welfare
to those who are rolling in it, crapchild.

Rod Speed

Edwin Pawlowski wrote in message
m...
Rod Speed wrote
Don Ocean wrote
daestrom wrote
Gymmie Bob wrote

[...]

That wasnt even being discussed.

to out shop has a series of chains.

George Grapman

Rod Speed wrote:
George Crapchild wrote in message

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
oglegroups.com...

Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
ooglegroups.com...

Don Ocean wrote:

Gymmie Bob wrote:

[...]

Tell us about your imaginary job. Seem to have hit a raw nerve here.

Rod-I-Play-With-****-Speed wrote:
George Grapman wrote in message

Obviously not.

Another fact filed reply from Mr. Welfare.

More puerile **** from the crapchild.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

I have never ever accepted a cent in welfare, ever.

Sure, just like the allegations against Wal-Mart were union lies.

We arent stupid enough to hand out welfare
to those who are rolling in it, crapchild.

The only thing you're rolling in is your own feces.

Gymmie Bob

Evere see a movie or in real life the tires on an electric utilty truck
burst into flames when the boom comes into contact with a 14 or 27kV line?

I have.

Happens all the time to backhoes, digger dereks and large boom machines
with huge rubber tires. They are full of conductive carbon. This is what
makes the rubber black.

"Peter Bruells" wrote in message
Don Ocean writes:

Nope... It had to do with the seat covers and fabric.. Nylon was
quite popular. Your car chasis is isolated from ground-Ground. In
other words your frame floats to any electrical level the
environment allows it to. So grounding it to the road alleviates the
problem.. Give it a try.. Tires really don't have any function in
this other then insulating you from the ground. Have you ever heard
of a vehicle being struck by lightning?

Absoultey. Vehicles, inluding ships and planes, get regulary hit by
lighting. However, as long as they have a metal frame, they work like
a Faraday cage and thus protect the passengers inside.

Besides, with lighning, a little bit of rubber doesn't help that
much. Lighting are powerful and will glady travel through feeble
insoluation of even yards through air.

Oil/Pellet Stoves? Bill LaFleur Home Ownership 285 November 18th 04 09:33 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Window install - in middle of winter - cons? Jonny R Home Repair 3 May 31st 04 12:59 AM
SURVIVING THE 100 YEAR WINTER Gunner Metalworking 12 December 15th 03 06:11 AM