Don Ocean

daestrom wrote:
"wmbjk" wmbjk@remove_this citlink.net wrote in message

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:57:05 GMT, "daestrom"
wrote:

"wmbjk" wmbjk@remove_this citlink.net wrote in message

It happens to me *every* time I get out of the car (AZ). I sort of
smack the window frame as I get out, which lessens the effect, and
eliminates the surprise. Strangely enough, it *never* happens to my
wife, who wears very similar clothing.

Wayne

Perhaps it's her shoes. Similar clothing would *generate* similar charge,
but a different kind of shoe could dissipate the charge faster.

Similar shoes most times as well.

Or maybe she holds onto the door when getting out?

We both get out while opening the door by its plastic handle. She's
usually on the passenger side, so I just asked her if she gets a shock
when getting out after driving. She says she might have. So maybe the
charge builds through the steering wheel? Still, it seems like there
must be some other difference. One more thing... I can't remember ever
getting zapped when driving the truck. So, same guy, same clothes,
same (or similar) cloth upholstery, same route, yet a major difference
in the shock frequency. Is it possible that the vehicles could be
getting charged up from driving on dusty roads, and that the lower
ground clearance of the car makes for more charge?

IIRC, most modern tires have enough carbon in the rubber that they can
dissipate static charge through them.

Not so

I do remember old gas tankers that
would drag a short length of chain under them to keep them 'grounded', but
haven't seen that in years.

Maybe the upholstery or foam cushions underneath?

daestrom