Gymmie Bob

This is why self fueling gas pumps have signs that tell you it is illegal to
block the pump on with any mechanical means.

We just saw a little clip from the security camera tape at a gas pump where
this happenned. It wasn't funny for the woman in the film.

Jerry cans are to be grounded with a ground strap here before filling or
emptying. (I assume just the metal ones). To many nice vehicles have been
damaged by this. Plastic pickup bed liners have made this worse.

"ledbalon" wrote in message
There was news show that was talking about the static electric discharge
causing several car fires.. Mostly happening to women.. They get out of
the car.. start the pump. get back into the car to get cc etc.. or to
stay warm.. get out of the car.. touch the fuel filler nozzel and Zap SE
discharge and vaporizing fuel pouring out of the fill nozzle..

Just another reason to ground oneself getting in and out of the car.

Steve

daestrom wrote:
"wmbjk" wmbjk@remove_this citlink.net wrote in message

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:11:59 GMT, Anthony Matonak
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The static is cause by your clothing rubbing against the seat

upholstery
when you get out. Easy to prevent, just drive naked.

If you choose to continue wearing clothing, hold the keys in your hand
as
you get out. Now, touch the key to the door frame and see the spark
jump.
Once grounded, you can close the door wit no shock.

You could also just hold on to the frame of the car as you slide out.
This will ground out the charge as soon as it builds, no sparks.

It seems to me that it happens more with nylon and synthetic fibers
than with cotton. Changing what you wear and using anti-static
sprays on the seats might help.

Anthony

It happens to me *every* time I get out of the car (AZ). I sort of
smack the window frame as I get out, which lessens the effect, and
eliminates the surprise. Strangely enough, it *never* happens to my
wife, who wears very similar clothing.

Wayne

Perhaps it's her shoes. Similar clothing would *generate* similar

charge,
but a different kind of shoe could dissipate the charge faster. Or

maybe
she holds onto the door when getting out?

daestrom