Rod Speed

"Don Ocean" wrote in message
daestrom wrote:
"Gymmie Bob" wrote in message

This is why self fueling gas pumps have signs that tell you it is illegal to
block the pump on with any mechanical means.

We just saw a little clip from the security camera tape at a gas pump where
this happenned. It wasn't funny for the woman in the film.

Jerry cans are to be grounded with a ground strap here before filling or
emptying. (I assume just the metal ones). To many nice vehicles have been
damaged by this. Plastic pickup bed liners have made this worse.

In NY its posted that cans must be removed from the vehicle and placed on the
ground next to the pump prior to filling (metal or plastic). This is to help
eliminate this hazard. The signs also warn of keeping the nozzle in contact
with the can while filling.

Of course, hoisting a five gal can in and out of a truck can be a pain, but
better safe than sorry.

Not quite true. All states have farm pickups, construction pickups and
governmental service pickups that have on board tanks installed just for
servicing other equipment. Everything from AvGas to Grade 4 fuels. And of
course this falls under federal jurisdiction as it is interstate
transports as soon as any vehicle touchs a highway or road.

Nope.

A point in case is that most pickups don't have a hose system to unload from
Auxillary in bed tanks..thus the cans have to be fill at the pickup bed level.
I am sure that you remember the tanker trucks going down the road with a piece
of chain dragging from the frame and sparking everytime it bounced on the
road.

They dont anymore tho.