Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Bill LaFleur

Default Oil/Pellet Stoves?

Good morning folks,

We're in the process of deciding on the various systems for our new
house. I have always liked the idea of using pellet stoves as they
seem to be a very environmentally friendly heat source. I've also
gotten the impression that they're pretty cheap as well. [Anyone have
hard numbers on this?]

I like the idea of having backup though, so I'm wondering: Has anyone
come across a dual wood pellet/oil furnace? I've seen plenty that
combine oil and wood, but nothing yet with oil and wood pellets. I
guess its possible that no one makes them, but want to be sure.

Thanks, Bill
Arnold Walker

Messrsmith in Bark River, Mich. will run solid fuel with 50% moisture and
has a oil burner as well.Rated 150,000 and 400,000btu for thier Fire Dragon
home series.
Of course ,in case you happen to have a sawmill nexr door or something
..Their Industrial versions of the fluidize bed burner, go all the way out to
5Mw boiler rating..
I think that translates out to 17,000Mbtu/hr roughly.
Can think of four other manufacturers....pretty much the same story on their
product.
"Bill LaFleur" wrote in message
om...
Good morning folks,

We're in the process of deciding on the various systems for our new
house. I have always liked the idea of using pellet stoves as they
seem to be a very environmentally friendly heat source. I've also
gotten the impression that they're pretty cheap as well. [Anyone have
hard numbers on this?]

I like the idea of having backup though, so I'm wondering: Has anyone
come across a dual wood pellet/oil furnace? I've seen plenty that
combine oil and wood, but nothing yet with oil and wood pellets. I
guess its possible that no one makes them, but want to be sure.

Thanks, Bill

Serendipity

Bill LaFleur wrote:

Good morning folks,

We're in the process of deciding on the various systems for our new
house. I have always liked the idea of using pellet stoves as they
seem to be a very environmentally friendly heat source. I've also
gotten the impression that they're pretty cheap as well. [Anyone have
hard numbers on this?]

I like the idea of having backup though, so I'm wondering: Has anyone
come across a dual wood pellet/oil furnace? I've seen plenty that
combine oil and wood, but nothing yet with oil and wood pellets. I
guess its possible that no one makes them, but want to be sure.

Thanks, Bill

I'm not sure if your interested in grain stoves but they would fit your
need as well.

--
Think beyond your assumptions.
Bill Bonde ( ``This is the Battle of Epping Forest

Bill LaFleur wrote:

Good morning folks,

We're in the process of deciding on the various systems for our new
house. I have always liked the idea of using pellet stoves as they
seem to be a very environmentally friendly heat source. I've also
gotten the impression that they're pretty cheap as well. [Anyone have
hard numbers on this?]

I like the idea of having backup though, so I'm wondering: Has anyone
come across a dual wood pellet/oil furnace? I've seen plenty that
combine oil and wood, but nothing yet with oil and wood pellets. I
guess its possible that no one makes them, but want to be sure.

Why do you want to be stuck with having to buy pellets? The oil seems
good because you can avoid a monthly charge, as with propane tank rental
and natural gas hook up.

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
R.White

I just got our oil tank filled. 200 gal @ $1.82 gal.

Bill LaFleur wrote:

Good morning folks,

We're in the process of deciding on the various systems for our new
house. I have always liked the idea of using pellet stoves as they
seem to be a very environmentally friendly heat source. I've also
gotten the impression that they're pretty cheap as well. [Anyone have
hard numbers on this?]

I like the idea of having backup though, so I'm wondering: Has anyone
come across a dual wood pellet/oil furnace? I've seen plenty that
combine oil and wood, but nothing yet with oil and wood pellets. I
guess its possible that no one makes them, but want to be sure.

Why do you want to be stuck with having to buy pellets? The oil seems
good because you can avoid a monthly charge, as with propane tank rental
and natural gas hook up.

I just got our oil tank filled. 200 gal @ $1.82 gal.

But it is your tank and there's no monthly fee to have the tank, right?
Usually with propane, you pay just to lease the tank, with natural gas
just to be hooked up to the system. That isn't a big deal if you are
using it for your primary heat but if you are using it for a backup for
wood, and trying to be frugal about it, the extra cost is, well, extra
cost.

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
what Oscar Wilde went to prison for, he ought to have got the Victoria
Cross.'", Andrew Lycett, "Rudyard Kipling"

Have you looked at corn stoves, they work well.

Are they really cost effective tho?
Bill Seurer

Bill Bonde ( ``This is the Battle of Epping Forest '' ) wrote:

But it is your tank and there's no monthly fee to have the tank, right?
Usually with propane, you pay just to lease the tank, with natural gas
just to be hooked up to the system. That isn't a big deal if you are
using it for your primary heat but if you are using it for a backup for
wood, and trying to be frugal about it, the extra cost is, well, extra
cost.

The propane company we use charges $0.03 extra a gallon for rent. If I
remember right it was $500 (maybe only $250) to buy one.
--

-Bill

If you live in corn country and can get waste corn then
Yes, it's very cost effective.

Yes I do live in corn country...... north Missouri

But I cant get waste corn for free
edfan

It's too bad we do not popularize stoves which could burn USED oil.
Waste oil could help many budgets as well as infrastructure
requirements for hazardous dumping. There are several African designs
which seem to work pretty well.

wrote in message . ..
[...]

Midnight trips to the cornfields?

That's a possibility

There are several African designs
which seem to work pretty well.

Have a link for these units?

We've been pricing them. Two we looked at were right near the $2000
mark but they vent right through the wall eliminating the cost of a
double wall chimney. Cost of operation was quoted at $3 per day. The
sales person said he kept his house at 80 F. We'd find that way to hot!
So I think operation cost would likely be lower than $3 per day. Two
problems I can see a a close source of grain and storage capacity for
the grain. You would need to store the grain properly as wet grain
wouldn't burn well and you wouldn't want rodents to feast on your fuel
supply.

Ive looked at them too and your info is exact same as
what I found

I live in the heart of corn country....and could buy
corn by bushel no problem

However i just haven't done the math to see if its cost
effective vs gas or oil heat.

A 2k stove is gonna take awhile to reach payback

Oh..... on the grain storage... I was told to go to
Sams club or Costco and get one of this BIG industrial
type refuge cans for that. They are plastic and water
proof and was told work well for corn storage.

they vent right through the wall eliminating the cost of a
double wall chimney.

The one I looked at had same vent as well

Pretty neat!

Bill Seurer wrote:

Bill Bonde ( ``This is the Battle of Epping Forest '' ) wrote:

But it is your tank and there's no monthly fee to have the tank, right?
Usually with propane, you pay just to lease the tank, with natural gas
just to be hooked up to the system. That isn't a big deal if you are
using it for your primary heat but if you are using it for a backup for
wood, and trying to be frugal about it, the extra cost is, well, extra
cost.

The propane company we use charges $0.03 extra a gallon for rent. If I
remember right it was $500 (maybe only $250) to buy one.

So that means that might be a viable option as a backup. And if you own
it, you can presumably choose who you are going to buy the propane from,
something that probably isn't allowed when you are renting like that.

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
what Oscar Wilde went to prison for, he ought to have got the Victoria
Cross.'", Andrew Lycett, "Rudyard Kipling"
Serendipity

Ron Peterson wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:41:30 -0500, wrote:

Have you looked at corn stoves, they work well.

Are they really cost effective tho?

If the price of corn is low, they can be cost effective.

The ones we were looking can be seen at
http://www.GrainStovesInc.com
They burn wheat, rye, and corn so if the price of corn is high one
season, you might be able to get one or the other grain cheaper. The
nice thing about these stoves is they are environmentally friendly too.

They have to be very tiny. What do they do? Hollow out a corn thing?
What do you put inside to burn? How do you keep the rest of the corn
from catching fire?

OK, its the cob. I just remembered the cob. They make pipes out of
them so I guess they are fireproof.

They use shelled corn.

Serendipity wrote:

Ron Peterson wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:41:30 -0500, wrote:

Have you looked at corn stoves, they work well.

Are they really cost effective tho?

If the price of corn is low, they can be cost effective.

The ones we were looking can be seen at
http://www.GrainStovesInc.com
They burn wheat, rye, and corn so if the price of corn is high one
season, you might be able to get one or the other grain cheaper. The
nice thing about these stoves is they are environmentally friendly too.

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
what Oscar Wilde went to prison for, he ought to have got the Victoria
Cross.'", Andrew Lycett, "Rudyard Kipling"
Rod Speed

wrote in message

Serendipity wrote:

Ron Peterson wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:41:30 -0500, wrote:

Have you looked at corn stoves, they work well.

Are they really cost effective tho?

If the price of corn is low, they can be cost effective.

The ones we were looking can be seen at
http://www.GrainStovesInc.com
They burn wheat, rye, and corn so if the price of corn is high one
season, you might be able to get one or the other grain cheaper. The
nice thing about these stoves is they are environmentally friendly too.

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

Not as smelly as burning corpses.

You dont need gas chambers first either.

wrote in message

Serendipity wrote:

Ron Peterson wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:41:30 -0500, wrote:

Have you looked at corn stoves, they work well.

Are they really cost effective tho?

If the price of corn is low, they can be cost effective.

The ones we were looking can be seen at
http://www.GrainStovesInc.com
They burn wheat, rye, and corn so if the price of corn is high one
season, you might be able to get one or the other grain cheaper. The
nice thing about these stoves is they are environmentally friendly too.

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

Not as smelly as burning corpses.

You dont need gas chambers first either.

Killing a lot of people and putting them in the ground like the
Northwest Coast Indians used to do with salmon, especially that chum,
that chum salmon, well, nobody eats the chum, maybe the eggs, well,
anyway, putting those people in the ground would cut down on them
burning fossile fuels and it would make the grass green. So how does
that compare to burning food? It seems like you eat the corn and you
gasify the cob and associated waste material.

--
"In August Rudyard's listlessness called for another series of major and
very unpleasant medical examinations.... He later joked ... 'If this is
what Oscar Wilde went to prison for, he ought to have got the Victoria
Cross.'", Andrew Lycett, "Rudyard Kipling"
Rod Speed

wrote in message

Serendipity wrote:

Ron Peterson wrote:

[...]

It doesnt with the lard arses so common now. Kills the grass.

So how does that compare to burning food? It seems like you eat
the corn and you gasify the cob and associated waste material.

They actually burn the corn, not the cob.

Serendipity

Serendipity wrote:

Ron Peterson wrote:

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:41:30 -0500, wrote:

Have you looked at corn stoves, they work well.

Are they really cost effective tho?

If the price of corn is low, they can be cost effective.

The ones we were looking can be seen at
http://www.GrainStovesInc.com
They burn wheat, rye, and corn so if the price of corn is high one
season, you might be able to get one or the other grain cheaper. The
nice thing about these stoves is they are environmentally friendly too.

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

Grain is a renewable resource unlike fossil fuels.

--
Think beyond your assumptions.

Joel M. Eichen

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:05:05 -0700, "Bill Bonde ( ``This is the Battle
of Epping Forest '' )" wrote:

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

I was thinking that too. Besides, can't you make bread or something
out of it?

Then use the profits to buy an oil burner or something.

Joel

Serendipity

of Epping Forest '' )" wrote:

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

I was thinking that too. Besides, can't you make bread or something
out of it?

Then use the profits to buy an oil burner or something.

Joel

Anything that uses a renewable source of fuel rather than fossil fuel is
environmentally friendly. Corn is also being used to generate a more
environmentally friendly fuel for vehicles - ethanol. There is an
ethanol plant not far from us. I suspect more will be built as the
product increases in popularity.

According to pelletstove.com "Corn Pellets North America produces about
300 million tons of corn, enough to heat over 115 million homes. Shelled
Corn has about the same BTU as wood pellet fuels (8,000 Btu/lb), but has
more ash, so the maintenance on the pellet stove in terms of ash removal
is greater. One acre will yield 3.8 tons of shelled corn, enough to heat
1.5 homes and is equal to 11.5 barrels of oil. Heating with a closed
loop energy crop such as corn can reduce green house gases (CO2) by as
much as 5.1 tons of CO2 per home per year."

--
Think beyond your assumptions.
Joel M. Eichen

of Epping Forest '' )" wrote:

How is burning grain environmentally friendly?

I was thinking that too. Besides, can't you make bread or something
out of it?

Then use the profits to buy an oil burner or something.

Joel

Anything that uses a renewable source of fuel rather than fossil fuel is
environmentally friendly.

I thought maybe that sucker smokes a lot.

Joel

[...]

Those are pretty neat stoves

I wasn't aware that one could also burn wheat or rye as
well as corn. That's a good idea as it gives you
multiple sources of fuel

The only stoves Ive seen here in the midwest (north
Missouri) are the corn and wood pellet burning kind

Hmm.... let me know how that wheat/rye/corn stove works
out. That might be a better stove to get than a corn
only unit

Corn is also being used to generate a more
environmentally friendly fuel for vehicles - ethanol. There is an
ethanol plant not far from us. I suspect more will be built as the
product increases in popularity.

They are building a ethanol plant not far from me
either... north Missouri

Anything that uses a renewable source of fuel rather than fossil fuel is
environmentally friendly.

Im curious... what will you burn if you should buy the
grain stove?

Will you burn wheat or rye.... instead of corn?

Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess it depends on what
environment you want to live in. I prefer to have some sunshine and clouds
in the sky.

How do you propose heating your home?

Most all forms of heat require burning something

Chloe

wrote in message
Burning anything is not environmental friendly. I guess it depends on
what
environment you want to live in. I prefer to have some sunshine and clouds
in the sky.

How do you propose heating your home?

Most all forms of heat require burning something

Solar doesn't. Well, technically I guess it does since it's the sun that's
burning, but it doesn't pollute the earth's air in the process.