Don Ocean

Gymmie Bob wrote:
It's usually the clothes, seat material combination, no the static buildup
of tires This doesn't happen with radials, so I''m told. It happenned a lot
with bias ply tires.

Nope... It had to do with the seat covers and fabric.. Nylon was
quite popular. Your car chasis is isolated from ground-Ground. In other
words your frame floats to any electrical level the environment allows
it to. So grounding it to the road alleviates the problem.. Give it
a try.. Tires really don't have any function in this other then
insulating you from the ground. Have you ever heard of a vehicle being
struck by lightning?

"Don Ocean" wrote in message

wmbjk wrote:

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:11:59 GMT, Anthony Matonak
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

The static is cause by your clothing rubbing against the seat

upholstery

when you get out. Easy to prevent, just drive naked.

If you choose to continue wearing clothing, hold the keys in your hand

as

you get out. Now, touch the key to the door frame and see the spark

jump.

Once grounded, you can close the door wit no shock.

You could also just hold on to the frame of the car as you slide out.
This will ground out the charge as soon as it builds, no sparks.

It seems to me that it happens more with nylon and synthetic fibers
than with cotton. Changing what you wear and using anti-static
sprays on the seats might help.

Anthony

It happens to me *every* time I get out of the car (AZ). I sort of
smack the window frame as I get out, which lessens the effect, and
eliminates the surprise. Strangely enough, it *never* happens to my
wife, who wears very similar clothing.

Wayne

Install a ground strap to drag from the car frame.. They were quite
common in the late 1950's to early 1960's.