Jonny R

Default Window install - in middle of winter - cons?

I have a 2-story 40 year old home that still has all of its original
wood windows. I am planning on getting them all replaced with new
double or triple pane windows in order to improve energy efficiency
(even with the windows shut you can see the curtains blow when its
windy).

There was an advertisement on the radio back in February by a local
window company saying that they replace windows in the middle of
winter with 50% off of the labor costs. This sounds pretty good to me
given the amount of windows that I'll need to replace.

Now here's the catch. I live in Ottawa (Canada) where the weather
probably averages -15 Celsius (5 Fahrenheit) during winter, without
the wind chill. During extreme cold spells the weather can drop below
-45 Celsius (-49 Fahrenheit) with the wind chill. Hence why the
company is advertising 50% off labor costs for window replacements
during Winter. It can get pretty damn cold!

In your opinion would there be any disadvantage to getting the windows
replaced during Winter, given the temperatures? Would the results be
the same as getting them replaced in the Summer? (i.e. a nice tight
seal). The only one that I could think of is if they need to do any
caulking, it may not work properly if its that cold, or that if its
really cold outside that the installers might try to do the job as
fast as possible to get back inside and warm up, thus rushing through
the job and not doing it properly.

Is having your windows replaced in the middle of winter a bad idea?
Has anybody gone through this before?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jonny R" wrote in message
There was an advertisement on the radio back in February by a local
window company saying that they replace windows in the middle of
winter with 50% off of the labor costs. This sounds pretty good to me
given the amount of windows that I'll need to replace.

Now here's the catch. I live in Ottawa (Canada) where the weather
probably averages -15 Celsius (5 Fahrenheit) during winter, without
the wind chill. During extreme cold spells the weather can drop below
-45 Celsius (-49 Fahrenheit) with the wind chill. Hence why the
company is advertising 50% off labor costs for window replacements
during Winter. It can get pretty damn cold!

It could be a good deal. Also depends on just what they are doing. Many
years ago I used to install replacement windows in a little sideline
business that I had. All the work was done from inside the house. It was a
little uncomfortable at times, but the opening was only open for about 10 to
15 minutes per window. You can close the door to a particular room to save
on heat.

Talk to them as far as exactly what they will do, how long it will take.
Not much downside that I know of. New construction goes on year round in
most places today.
Ed

m Ransley

I would not anyone work on my house doing windows in that temp. You will
have rushed work, you cant caulk, my windows were done in fall and the
warmth, some were gone 5 hrs due to problems.

A rushed job can mean a bad job and if not leveled, plumb, and squared
to less than factory warranty maximums you will loose Any warranty you
may have had. Many warranties give 1/8" max or you have no warrany . My
hack redid 4. Luckily it was warm out.

In those temps you will loose your heat savings for that month maybe
costing your savings. Weigh the costs you may not save but loose.