Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self storage units

AARP magazine has an article about self storage units. I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it. The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space. Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/21 7:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
AARP magazine has an article about self storage units.Â* I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it.Â* The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space.Â* Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap.Â* I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

Ever watch the cable TV show "Storage Wars" ? It is amazing how much
valuable stuff people abandon to later be auctioned off.

Lots of junk too ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2021 7:35 PM, wrote:
On 5/19/21 7:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
AARP magazine has an article about self storage units.Â* I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it.Â* The US
has 90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space.Â* Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment
and abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap.Â* I
would never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago
made many grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

Ever watch the cable TV show "Storage Wars" ? It is amazing how much
valuable stuff people abandon to later be auctioned off.

Lots of junk too ;-)

Yes, I'd like to spend a day in a unit with Brandi.

I guess there is money in the abandoned stuff if you know where to sell
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:06:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AARP magazine has an article about self storage units. I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it. The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.
One in 10 household rent space. Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.
Average rental is 15.8 months
Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month
In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.
As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

We filled a 10 x 10 - in a climate-controlled warehouse -
when we were having the basement gutted and re-done.
We donated a lot of stuff before renting it and some more
afterwards. I was very pleased to see no sign of bugs or vermin
after almost a year in storage.
We didn't want a U-store-It delivered to the driveway over the
winter - snow drifts would have been a problem.
It was ~ $ 120. per month so I can't imagine people paying that
to store junk for a long time !
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 19 May 2021 19:06:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

AARP magazine has an article about self storage units. I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it. The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space. Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

Was this meant to be 1,550,000 or 155,000 or what?

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

Copy to a friend who managed a ministorage for maybe 20 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:35:33 -0400, wrote:

On 5/19/21 7:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
AARP magazine has an article about self storage units.* I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it.* The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space.* Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap.* I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

Ever watch the cable TV show "Storage Wars" ? It is amazing how much
valuable stuff people abandon to later be auctioned off.

Seems like a good way to get rid of junk/waste. Put it in a storage
unit and stop paying.

Lots of junk too ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:06:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AARP magazine has an article about self storage units. I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it. The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space. Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

I used one when we moved. We wanted to de-junkify the house to sell
it. I rented a storage unit and put everything that wasn't absolutely
needed (including my tools) for the few months our house was on the
market. I had a new job 70mi away and was commuting on weekends so
took a pickup load a week to the new place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 19 May 2021 19:35:33 -0400,
wrote:

On 5/19/21 7:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
AARP magazine has an article about self storage units.* I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it.* The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space.* Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap.* I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

Ever watch the cable TV show "Storage Wars" ? It is amazing how much
valuable stuff people abandon to later be auctioned off.

Some places lock people out if they don't pay their rent, and if they
still don't pay, they sell their stuff. My impression is that almost
all places do that, but my friend and her uncle who owned 3 of them,
hundreds of units each, never did that. (She managed one, he managed
another, and by the time I met them, he'd sold the third, although it's
still where it was.)

When someone wasn't paying his rent, eventually she, or he at the other
location, would call and tell him to get everything out and that would
be the end of it. And I'd say that was one big reason she never had a
fight or even an argument with any of the customers in 20 years. She's
5' or 5'2".

But people did abandon things and she had a regular and a asubstitute if
the first guy was busy that she'd call and he'd clean everything out.
If she saw something I might want, she called me. One time there were
six nice good-condition 2-drawer file cabinets. I screwed two of them
together to make a 4-drawer cabinet. No truck but I was able to put 4
of them in the back and front seats of my convertible, or maybe it was 6
in two trips.

A couple times she had someone living in his locker, but she would tell
him he had to go.

Lots of junk too ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2021 05:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

I had a storage unit a long time ago. I built an 8' rowing dingy in my
apartment one particularly rainy spring. After humping it down from the
second floor I decided ground level storage would be preferable.

I have thought about renting one recently for a Harley rebuild. I don't
have a garage and a dry place where I could leave my tools laying around
and lock the door on my way out would be good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2021 20:50:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/19/2021 8:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

When we moved I used Pods. Rented the first one when the house went on
the market and made lots of trips to Salvation Army store.

It really wasn't so much about moving the stuff as staging the move.
We hadn't sold the old house so all the "stuff" went into the storage
unit. Then when we bought the new, I moved a truckload from the
storage unit each weekend. My wife moved six months later and we had
everything ells moved professionally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 May 2021 20:20:28 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2021 8:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

I moved to Florida in a Firebird and a van with a Uhaul for my tools.
My ex still has a house full of my junk. Her second hubby came with
all of his junk and her parents died leaving all of their junk. The
last time I was up there she just had was just little paths between
piles of junk.
I showed her how to work EBay but she can't part with anything.
Ebay is my way of thinning the junk. If I can get 99 cents it is
better than nothing and I usually make a little on the shipping. (Ebay
lists the retail cost and you get a discount).
That is my contribution to recycling ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It was staging for us too, but it cut out the middle move. I paid for a
few months rent on the Pod before it was finally moved south. Filled a
20' one and later a second.

Not sure how much I saved as opposed to just having a mover but it was
convenient is some respects. When they were delivered here, I paid $200
to have a few guys unload them and put everything where it belonged. No
appliances were moved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh, forgot that. Had a dumpster for a week and filled that first. 40
years of accumulation

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That is what my ex needs, a 30 yard construction dumpster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:36:37 -0600, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I had a storage unit a long time ago. I built an 8' rowing dingy in my

Oh, no! The senile blabbering starts again...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen. I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/21 5:04 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen. I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Cindy Hamilton

Next kitchen remodel, I'm going to do the entire thing with Whirlpool's Gladiator Garage Works cabinets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Except that now, you can't sell stuff on Ebay unless you give them your
date of birth, social security number and submit to "verification" by them.

I'd sold off lots of my old stuff on Ebay for over 20 years and was
surprised they keep a record of my total sales ($19,000!)

I'm not about to share my identity theft bait info with them so I guess
my selling days with them are over. Hello Craigslist...

--
A government that does not trust its law-abiding citizens to keep and
bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/21 6:45 AM, Larry wrote:
On 5/20/21 5:04 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen.Â* I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Cindy Hamilton

Next kitchen remodel, I'm going to do the entire thing with Whirlpool's
Gladiator Garage Works cabinets.

Bet you're not married.....

--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much
ammunition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 10:24:45 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/20/21 6:45 AM, Larry wrote:
On 5/20/21 5:04 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen. I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Cindy Hamilton

Next kitchen remodel, I'm going to do the entire thing with Whirlpool's
Gladiator Garage Works cabinets.

Bet you're not married.....

You're probably right, but in our house if I wanted the Gladiator cabinets,
my husband would veto. (OTOH, I wouldn't want them myself, so we're
well matched there.)

We're going with a nice medium oak.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:06:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AARP magazine has an article about self storage units.Â* I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it.Â* The US
has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space.Â* Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment
and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap.Â* I
would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

I used one when we moved.Â* We wanted to de-junkify the house to sell
it.Â* I rented a storage unit and put everything that wasn't absolutely
needed (including my tools) for the few months our house was on the
market.Â* I had a new job 70mi away and was commuting on weekends so
took a pickup load a week to the new place.

When we moved I used Pods.Â* Rented the first one when the house went on
the market and made lots of trips to Salvation Army store.

I moved to Florida in a Firebird and a van with a Uhaul for my tools.
My ex still has a house full of my junk. Her second hubby came with
all of his junk and her parents died leaving all of their junk. The
last time I was up there she just had was just little paths between
piles of junk.
I showed her how to work EBay but she can't part with anything.
Ebay is my way of thinning the junk. If I can get 99 cents it is
better than nothing and I usually make a little on the shipping. (Ebay
lists the retail cost and you get a discount).
That is my contribution to recyclingÂ* ;-)

Except that now, you can't sell stuff on Ebay unless you give them your
date of birth, social security number and submit to "verification" by them.

I'd sold off lots of my old stuff on Ebay for over 20 years and was
surprised they keep a record of my total sales ($19,000!)

I'm not about to share my identity theft bait info with them so I guess
my selling days with them are over. Hello Craigslist...

I signed up for local buy and sell group on Facebook and readily sold a
bunch of stuff I no longer needed. No charge to do this. People show
interest in something you post and you give them contact info and they
come to you to buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The facebook buy & sell groups are good for being more local -
good for most things - perhaps less so if you have an unusual
or "collectible" item and you are looking to get top dollar.
I've not any Ebay experience at all ; in my part of the world
Kijiji is our Craigslist - but one tends to get a lot of idiots
replying - making low-ball offers without even asking a
single question about the item ; or VERY INTERESTED BUYERS -
- until you tell them you won't deliver and they will have to
heaven forbid leave The City and drive 20 miles to see it ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

I'm not about to share my identity theft bait info with them so I guess
my selling days with them are over. Hello Craigslist...

I signed up for local buy and sell group on Facebook and readily sold a
bunch of stuff I no longer needed. No charge to do this. People show
interest in something you post and you give them contact info and they
come to you to buy.

I sold a few things on Craigslist,but usually just give most of it away
if I want to get rid of it fast and do not think it is worth much.

Surprising what you cn get rid of if giving it away.

Good thing there is no charge for this.

Facebook has the same thing and I have used it some too. Have even
bought a few things from the 2 above places.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

bunch of stuff I no longer needed.Â* No charge to do this.Â* People show
interest in something you post and you give them contact info and they
come to you to buy.

I don't do Facebook- I think putting your personal info and picture out
there for all the world to see is just plain a bad idea.

I use a fake identity on Craigslist and a corresponding fake Gmail.
Sales pickups are done right in front of a supermarket in a nearby busy
shopping center during daylight hours only.

Especially when selling something worth a bit, I arrive well before the
buyer, park my car a good distance away and have no more that a few
bucks in my pocket to make change. Afterward, I let them leave first and
don't drive directly home when I leave the parking lot.

For expensive stuff, I meet the buyer in the lobby of the police station.

--
Law-abiding legal gun owners in the U.S. possess about 270 million
firearms and billions of rounds of ammunition. Seriously people, if they
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 10:57 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...

I'm not about to share my identity theft bait info with them so I guess
my selling days with them are over. Hello Craigslist...

I signed up for local buy and sell group on Facebook and readily sold a
bunch of stuff I no longer needed. No charge to do this. People show
interest in something you post and you give them contact info and they
come to you to buy.

I sold a few things on Craigslist,but usually just give most of it away
if I want to get rid of it fast and do not think it is worth much.

Surprising what you cn get rid of if giving it away.

Good thing there is no charge for this.

Facebook has the same thing and I have used it some too. Have even
bought a few things from the 2 above places.

Selling can be a hassle and I do not want to save a few dollars selling
some things and prefer to give it away.

It can get annoying when you have to pay to get rid of something. A few
years ago I had to pay Best Buy $25 to get rid of an old CRT monitor
that had belonged to a consulting client. Only reason I paid was that I
could charge the client for it.

Goodwill takes practically anything but may turn down computers, TV's
and electric tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't do Facebook- I think putting your personal info and picture out
there for all the world to see is just plain a bad idea.

For expensive stuff, I meet the buyer in the lobby of the police station.

I finally signed up with facebook a few years ago - using my web
email ; made-up name and birthday ; I declined to enter any
personal data ; used an actual photo - of the back of my head ;
immediately blocked all ads and notifications & such.
I "friended" my 2 daughters to see the grandkid posts.
Politely declined the few other friend requests from people who
recognized my "photo". So far so good.

"Safe Trade Zones" are becoming a thing :

https://www.stratfordbeaconherald.co...e-marketplaces

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 12:28 PM, Frank wrote:

Selling can be a hassle and I do not want to save a few dollars selling
some things and prefer to give it away.

It can get annoying when you have to pay to get rid of something.Â* A few
years ago I had to pay Best Buy $25 to get rid of an old CRT monitor
that had belonged to a consulting client.Â* Only reason I paid was that I
could charge the client for it.

Goodwill takes practically anything but may turn down computers, TV's
and electric tools.

My late wife had a collection of porcelain dolls. They would sell from
$100 to $250 to the right person. I took them to Goodwill. Chances
are, someone will get a bargain and pay $10 for one. I'm OK with that
and did not have to identify, price, sell, ship, etc.

The few times I had stuff to sell over the years, I set it by the curb
with a "free" sign and made someone happy to get it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Makes more sense to use a local facebook buy swap sell group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

More fool you.

I think putting your personal info and picture out there for all the world
to see is just plain a bad idea.

You dont have to do either with facebook.

I use a fake identity on Craigslist and a corresponding fake Gmail.

No reason you cant do the same thing on facebook.

Sales pickups are done right in front of a supermarket in a nearby busy
shopping center during daylight hours only.

Ditto and plenty do.

Especially when selling something worth a bit, I arrive well before the
buyer, park my car a good distance away and have no more that a few bucks
in my pocket to make change. Afterward, I let them leave first and don't
drive directly home when I leave the parking lot.

No reason for not doing the same thing with facebook.

For expensive stuff, I meet the buyer in the lobby of the police station.

Ditto.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2021 05:24:13 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

05:24??? Whatsa matter? Did you sleep in today, you sleepless senile troll?
Are you sick or what? BG

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2021 05:18:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Makes more sense to use a local facebook buy swap sell group.

Would of course make much more sense if you finally swallowed your Nembutal
that you bragged about, you useless senile troll!

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

a bunch of stuff I no longer needed.Â* No charge to do this.Â* People
[...]

For expensive stuff, I meet the buyer in theÂ* lobby of the police
station.

Ditto.

But the problem with selling on Facebook is the same as selling on
Craigslist- local market only...not national or worldwide like Ebay.

Oh, and help me understand the psychology of somebody going through a
medium length post paragraph by paragraph and commenting/trying to
refute each one ;-)

--
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain...and most fools do.
- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, slightly different purposes. We wanted stuff out of the house
so the house could be shown. There wasn't a place to put a Pod and
the agent probably wouldn't have wanted it on the property anyway.

I was working as a contractor, at first, so the insurance was crap. My
wife kept her job so we'd have decent insurance. I lived in an
apartment for three months so was filling the storage unit. We then
bought the house and I emptied the storage unit truckload by
truckload.

I was converted to a regular employee after nine months (was
"promised" three) and my wife followed me. We used a professional
mover at that point. We finally "sold" (more complications - it was
2011) the house.

The storage unit worked out really well. If we'd had both houses from
the beginning it would have made things a lot easier.

Not sure how much I saved as opposed to just having a mover but it was
convenient is some respects. When they were delivered here, I paid $200
to have a few guys unload them and put everything where it belonged. No
appliances were moved.

Right. At some point, it's not about the money. Most of the stuff I
moved was in boxes so wasn't too difficult; from storage unit, to
truck, 70mi, to garage). My Unisaw was a little harder but not so
much. It required a U-Haul trailer but it would have just to get from
the garage to the basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/21 11:03 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 20:50:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sure, but I was commenting on your decision to use craigslist.
Facebook works much better.

Oh, and help me understand the psychology of somebody going through a
medium length post paragraph by paragraph and commenting/trying to refute
each one ;-)

I comment on specific points.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It's not hard to see why she's you ex. I have enough problem with
mine but I just start pitching. I'm just going through stuff that
hasn't been even opened since our last move (some from the move
before. I've thrown out 90% of my stuff. Hers is next. If she still
wants it, she's going to have to go sift through it. If it's not been
even moved in two years, do we really need it? Some, maybe. Most,
no.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Good to know. I'll cross that idea off the list. Give ebay my
personal information? Not likely.