Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self storage units

On Thu, 20 May 2021 10:54:14 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 10:34:50 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 5/20/2021 10:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/19/21 11:03 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 20:50:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/19/2021 8:45 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:06:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AARP magazine has an article about self storage units.* I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it.* The US
has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space.* Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment
and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap.* I
would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

I used one when we moved.* We wanted to de-junkify the house to sell
it.* I rented a storage unit and put everything that wasn't absolutely
needed (including my tools) for the few months our house was on the
market.* I had a new job 70mi away and was commuting on weekends so
took a pickup load a week to the new place.

When we moved I used Pods.* Rented the first one when the house went on
the market and made lots of trips to Salvation Army store.

I moved to Florida in a Firebird and a van with a Uhaul for my tools.
My ex still has a house full of my junk. Her second hubby came with
all of his junk and her parents died leaving all of their junk. The
last time I was up there she just had was just little paths between
piles of junk.
I showed her how to work EBay but she can't part with anything.
Ebay is my way of thinning the junk. If I can get 99 cents it is
better than nothing and I usually make a little on the shipping. (Ebay
lists the retail cost and you get a discount).
That is my contribution to recycling* ;-)

Except that now, you can't sell stuff on Ebay unless you give them your
date of birth, social security number and submit to "verification" by them.

I'd sold off lots of my old stuff on Ebay for over 20 years and was
surprised they keep a record of my total sales ($19,000!)

I'm not about to share my identity theft bait info with them so I guess
my selling days with them are over. Hello Craigslist...

I signed up for local buy and sell group on Facebook and readily sold a
bunch of stuff I no longer needed. No charge to do this. People show
interest in something you post and you give them contact info and they
come to you to buy.

The facebook buy & sell groups are good for being more local -
good for most things - perhaps less so if you have an unusual
or "collectible" item and you are looking to get top dollar.
I've not any Ebay experience at all ; in my part of the world
Kijiji is our Craigslist - but one tends to get a lot of idiots
replying - making low-ball offers without even asking a
single question about the item ; or VERY INTERESTED BUYERS -
- until you tell them you won't deliver and they will have to
heaven forbid leave The City and drive 20 miles to see it ..
John T.

Are you sure they're not scammers? Sounds like their MO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Fri, 21 May 2021 06:44:26 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Which ? I've named 2 types ...
1. low ball idiots
2. interested but not really
both might be scammers - FB has a "history"
but I don't use it.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 19 May 2021 19:06:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

AARP magazine has an article about self storage units. I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it. The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space. Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

My friend said that her customers stayed much longer than that, many for
20 years.

Then when a recession hit, quite a few moved out. They found storage
area in their house or a family memmber or friend's house.

Others who had more than one locker consolidated into one during the
recession.

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 02:04:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen. I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Cindy Hamilton

We got rid of a lot of stuff in the kitchen or moved it somewhere
else. The oven is outside now and we got rid of the dishwasher a while
ago. We could still use more cabinet space. I don't want one more
counter top appliance. My wife bought an air fryer that I am not sure
why we have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 11:41:44 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

I don't do Facebook- I think putting your personal info and picture out
there for all the world to see is just plain a bad idea.

My dog has a facebook page. I don't

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2021 17:54:38 -0400, wrote:

[...]

This is classic scammer's ploy. They want to buy anything, send too
much money then want you to return the rest. What they paid you is
rubber money. If the transaction is in-person, the scam doesn't work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen. I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Cindy Hamilton

We got rid of a lot of stuff in the kitchen or moved it somewhere
else. The oven is outside now

and we got rid of the dishwasher a while ago.

More fool you two.

We could still use more cabinet space.
I don't want one more counter top appliance.

My wife bought an air fryer that I am not sure why we have.

Because they leave the alternatives for dead, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 7:06:46 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
AARP magazine has an article about self storage units. I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it. The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space. Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

I have a 90+ YO aunt. Totally blind. She lives in a senior living complex that
is HUD funded. The vast majority of occupants (but not her) are retired nuns.
It's a very nice, well maintained and secure place to live.

Unfortunately, she's a hoarder. SWMBO is her POA and 2+ years ago we got a
call from the company that runs the facility. There was a HUD inspection
coming up and there was no way that her apartment would pass. Eviction
was a possibility unless she cleaned the place up.

She wouldn't let us throw anything out and chose instead to rent a storage
facility for the minimum amount of things that we needed to remove to make
the apartment "inspectable". I pay for it every month and every few months
she reimburses me with a money order. (I haven't told her that the monthly
cost went up last year).

No has been to the unit in those 2+ years. She keeps saying that she'll want
me to bring the stuff back someday but "not yet". I can just about guarantee
that it will go straight from storage into the same dumpster as the rest of her
stuff when she dies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2021 9:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That's a tough situation. You know as soon as you toss one trinket she
is going to ask you to bring it back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is classic scammer's ploy. They want to buy anything, send too
much money then want you to return the rest. What they paid you is
rubber money. If the transaction is in-person, the scam doesn't work.

Nope - there's no sending money ; no shipping..
It's a face-to-face cash transaction that begins
with a simple online advert and a reply.
Both email addresses are encoded for privacy.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 May 2021 11:18:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen. I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Cindy Hamilton

We got rid of a lot of stuff in the kitchen or moved it somewhere
else. The oven is outside now and we got rid of the dishwasher a while
ago. We could still use more cabinet space. I don't want one more
counter top appliance. My wife bought an air fryer that I am not sure
why we have.

Oven outside wouldn't work for us, of course. We thought about
moving it there for the duration of the remodel. Gas and electricity
are available outdoors, although the gas connection would be
decidedly non-code. The whole job is unpermitted. We usually don't
pull a permit unless the work will show from the outside.

We have a induction hot plate that we've been using, but we have a
limited number of pans that will work with it.

We set up the dishwasher in the laundry room. That's the only
thing holding my sanity together. I'd be pretty bitchy if I had
to wash dishes by hand. I resent having to hand-wash the sharp
knives.

It's been about a month and I expect it'll be another six weeks before
everything is back together, depending on how speedy the flooring and
countertop installations can be schedule. We don't use the stove
all that much this time of year anyway.

My husband loves to give me stuff for Christmas. I haven't quite
mastered a look of delight when viewing, say, a panini press that
I didn't want. The best I can manage is "I'm glad this dog turd is dried
and not stinky."

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/21 5:42 AM, wrote:
My husband loves to give me stuff for Christmas. I haven't quite
mastered a look of delight when viewing, say, a panini press that
I didn't want. The best I can manage is "I'm glad this dog turd is dried
and not stinky."

Cindy Hamilton

You women invented all these damned gift-required holidays. Live with it.

FWIW, I think the panini press was a hint. Give the panini press back along with a link to Sam The Cooking Guy's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/samthecookingguy/videos
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 7:24:44 AM UTC-4, Larry wrote:
On 5/21/21 5:42 AM, wrote:
My husband loves to give me stuff for Christmas. I haven't quite
mastered a look of delight when viewing, say, a panini press that
I didn't want. The best I can manage is "I'm glad this dog turd is dried
and not stinky."

Cindy Hamilton

You women invented all these damned gift-required holidays. Live with it.

Can't hang that one on me. We don't do Hallmark holidays (Valentine's day,
Sweetest Day, all that money-churning crap) in our house. We do Christmas
because of nostalgia and because it's nice to have the lighted tree in the
house when it's so dark in December.

Anniversaries usually involve the exchange of greeting cards on a bodily-function
theme.

FWIW, I think the panini press was a hint. Give the panini press back along with a link to Sam The Cooking Guy's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/samthecookingguy/videos

My husband already knows how to cook. Everything from tossed salad to
an entire roast pig.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 9:52:55 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and even though she is 90+ and has been blind for over 20 years,
she, for the most part, knows what's in just about every box and knows
where the boxes are in her apartment.

"There's a stack of 3 boxes in the far left corner of the bedroom. In the
middle box, towards the front, there's a manila envelope. Could you get
that for me?" She is extremely intelligent and her memory is phenomenal.

The biggest issue is that it's mostly paperwork - thousands of pages - that
she doesn't want to get rid of until "she goes through them". So she needs
someone to read them to her. "What's the date?" "What's the amount?" "Does
it have the name of the doctor on it?" "You know, I started seeing that doctor
when we lived on Elm St. He had nurse named Ann that I didn't get along with."

Imagine that kind of process for box after box of paperwork, going back
decades. It's brutal and patience is not my strong suit. Heck, that suit isn't
even in my closet. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen. I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I was wondering if neighbors were moving when I saw a Pod in their
driveway. The next day there was a flooring truck in the front, then
someone cutting tile, then hardwood, then... Seemed like a pretty
good idea.

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Them's fightin' words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:56:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I rented a Pod when we remodeled the kitchen and living room and I
ended up throwing almost all of it away. It is amazing when you
actually look at the stuff you save, how much is really trash.

We're remodeling the kitchen. I wish I could take the opportunity to
throw away a bunch of things we never use, but my husband loves
"stuff".

I suppose I could move those things to his workshop...

Cindy Hamilton

We got rid of a lot of stuff in the kitchen or moved it somewhere
else. The oven is outside now and we got rid of the dishwasher a while
ago. We could still use more cabinet space. I don't want one more
counter top appliance. My wife bought an air fryer that I am not sure
why we have.

I bought one for my wife about nine years ago, when they first came
out. She loves them and cooks on/in it at least three nights a week.

I use mine most nights of the week. The main things I don't do in
it are steak and other similar stuff like chops etc and the massive
great open sandwich which is the dome end of the vertical loaf of
bread from the bread machine which is my dinner every 4 days.

I still do the legs of lamb in the glass convection oven but
that's only because my air fryers arent big enough for that.

She usually does chicken but last night did a NY strip. It was very
good. Cooked perfectly. I think she's on her fourth air-fryer.
They don't last forever

Yeah, I have been thru 2 from Aldi. The current Bellini BTDF950
has lasted much longer. It has lost the button cover for the button
that releases the inner from the outer of the drawer you put the
food into when putting it into the dishwasher, and one bar of
the digital display but still works fine.

but are quite cheap now.

Yeah, I got mine brand new unused from a garage/yard
sale for peanuts sold by someone as stupid as fretwell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 May 2021 14:22:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When we had the kitchen torn up I had the oven out in the tiki bar,
plugged into my welder outlet. That was where we cooked the
thanksgiving turkey.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/addi...eck%20oven.jpg

I decided it could stay outside and we ended up with this right
outside the door after a little evolution.
Everything was free except the convection oven that I got for $150 on
Craigslist. It was pre owned but probably never used. The book was
still taped to one of the racks.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/country%20kitchen.jpg

The water heater is outside too in a small "Pump house" to the left of
the oven. It keeps the heat out of the house and reduces my AC bill.
We don't run the heat here.

I don't mind washing the few dishes the two of us accumulate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

don't last forever but are quite cheap now.

It is just a convection oven and I have one. I do steaks on the grill
and I don't have a problem with a big pot of hot oil to fry stuff. I
can do that outside too so I don't stink up the house. I am still
trying to find something that is actually better in the air fryer.
It seems like it is for folks who say "It tastes like **** but you can
live off of it". Sort of like the microwave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Much smaller, far less electricity used,
much more convenient for stuff like this.
https://www.lenards.com.au/products-list/

It seems like it is for folks who say "It tastes like ****
but you can live off of it". Sort of like the microwave.

More utterly mindless silly ****, your trademark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 May 2021 11:53:46 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Salt laden, chemically preserved, highly processed food in a plastic
bag.
Your idea of "cooking".
No thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2021 11:53:46 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Salt laden,

Nope.

chemically preserved,

Nope.

highly processed food

Nope.

in a plastic bag.

Nope.

Your idea of "cooking".

Nope.

You didn't even manage to get a single one right.

No thanks.

Your mindless bull**** and bare faced lies.

No thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 May 2021 15:25:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 May 2021 15:25:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I guess you never read the ingredients on that Lenards web site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2021 15:25:04 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 23 May 2021 11:53:46 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

Guess again. They arent loaded with salt, arent highly
processed, no chemical preservative, no plastic bag
involved and no microwave involved either.

An air fryer leaves a big wall oven for dead when cooking those.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2021 03:34:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

BBQ Chicken Sausage Roll
Puff Pastry (Wheat Flour, Margarine [Vegetable Oil, Water, Salt,
Emulsifier (471, 322 (Soy Derived), Preservative (202), Acidity
Regulator (330), Antioxidant (307b (Soy Derived))], Water, Milk Solids,
Preservative (202), Salt), Chicken (23%), Chicken Breast (23%), Water,
Carrots, Marinade (Water, Tomato Paste, Dextrose, Golden Syrup, Soy
Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Thickener (1442), Reconstituted Lemon
Juice, Flavour, Garlic Powder, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (Soy),
Chilli Powder, Colour (150a), Food Acid (330), Vegetable Gum (415)),
Seasoning (Rice Flour, Salt, Tapioca, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein,
Sugar, Acidity Regulator (451), Preservative (223), Natural Flavour,
Vegetable Oil (Canola), Dehydrated Vegetable, Spice), Onion, Ghee,
Sesame Seeds, Seasoning, Coating (Sugar, Salt, Tapioca Starch, Thickener
(Modified Waxy Maize Starch, Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose, Guar Gum),
Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein, Spices (Paprika, Chilli), Flavour
(Contains Soy), Garlic, Rice Flour Coarse, Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon
Dioxide), Colour (Caramel))

Don't think my grandmother ever used Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose in
her foods. I guess we missed out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not at all. It's quite good and nothing like a microwave at all.
Forget fried food. My cardiologist would kill me if the food didn't
get there first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it has more that 5 ingredients... I just came back from the grocery
store.

Atlantic salmon ingredients: salmon
broccoli ingredients: broccoli
green pepper ingredients: green pepper.

I plan to bake the salmon filet, adding extra virgin olive oil and dill
seed. The broccoli gets steamed, with grass fed butter added before
serving and maybe a sprinkle of grated parmesan if I'm in the mood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 23 May 2021 16:29:17 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

If it has more that 5 ingredients...

Oh, ****! Now he's babbling about recipes! ROTFLOL! ****ing stupid senile
Yankietard!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Mad with ready to cook food like that and
other food eaten as you buy it like bread,
cookies, marmalade and chocolate etc.

Atlantic salmon ingredients: salmon
broccoli ingredients: broccoli
green pepper ingredients: green pepper.

I plan to bake the salmon filet, adding extra virgin olive oil and dill
seed. The broccoli gets steamed, with grass fed butter added before
serving and maybe a sprinkle of grated parmesan if I'm in the mood.

Which means there is a lot more than just 5 ingredients
and you had to fart around a lot more to eat it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2021 03:34:31 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

[...]

I don't know how it is packed but I bet it is not just thrown in a
box. I bet it is sealed in plastic, then put in the box.

As for salt, I looked at a little snack, Camembert & Bacon Chicken
Baguette. 250 grams. (8oz)
Sodium 612mg, that is about a third of what you should have in a day.
Why not just eat a bag of potato chips?

As for preservatives, there are at least a half dozen preservatives
and a larger number of other chemical thickeners, emulsifiers, flavour
enhancers and artificial flavours. Some are harmless, some troubling,
like Sodium Nitrite. I will applaud OZ giving them numbers so they are
easy to look up.

This is the list

Chicken (78%), Seasoning (Crumb, Feta Cheese (Cheese [Pasteurised
Milk, Salt, Starter Culture, Enzyme (Non Animal Rennet), Calcium
Chloride (509)]), Camembert Cheese (Water, Camembert Cheese (39%)
(Contains Milk) (Milk, Salt, Starter Culture, Non-Animal Enzyme),
Cheese (6%) (Contains Milk) (Milk, Salt, Starter Culture, Non-Animal
Enzyme), Thickener (1442), Mineral Salts (452, 339), Citrus Fiber,
Citric Acid And Stabilizer (466)), Bacon (Pork (81%), Water, Salt,
Sugar, Emulsifiers (451, 450, 452), Dextrose (Maize, Tapioca),
Antioxidant (316), Acidity Regulator (330), Sodium Nitrite (250),
Smoke Flavour, Rosemary Extract. Smoked), Onion, Spinach, Celery Salt
(Salt, Celery, Anti-Caking Agent (551)), Thickener (412), Natural
Flavouring), Bacon (Pork (89%), Water, Salt, Sugar, Mineral Salts
(450, 451), Antioxidant (316), Preservative (250), Natural Wood
Smoke), Seasoning (Dehydrated Garlic, Mixed Herbs (Parsley, Oregano,
Marjoram, Thyme, Sage), Dehydrated Carrot, Sugar, Rice Or Maize Flour,
Dehydrated Onion, Dehydrated Peppers, Ground Coriander, Black Pepper,
Anti-Caking Agent (170), Vegetable Oil (Canola), Flavour Enhancer
(635), Ground Mustard, Antioxidant (330)), Ghee

For cooking, my toaster oven would do just fine but a "happy meal"
like this might be as good in the microwave if I was going to choke
one down.

An air fryer leaves a big wall oven for dead when cooking those.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ah, another intellectually curious guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You have to admit it isn't the same tho, it just helps you cope ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There you go. That is real food.
I cooked Mahi on the grill with steamed broccoli and a little angel
hair pasta tossed in garlic butter and thyme.