Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remote controlled access for storage units

Looking for recommendations for controlling access by users of our storage units. There are 40 units on the site.

These would be steel storage units with no on-site management. We want to control it all over the internet. Intention is to have users download an app that will allow them to unlock (and relock) via RFID on their phone, based on a code we send.

The entire storage facility needs to be run remotely so that the locking system in each individual unit can have the code reset by us remotely over the internet. Similarly it should be able to be over-ridden by us if rental money is outstanding.

Ideally the app should be linked in to our website so that users can sign up with direct debit payment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2021 21:57, Bazza wrote:
Looking for recommendations for controlling access by users of our
storage units. There are 40 units on the site.

These would be steel storage units with no on-site management. We
want to control it all over the internet. Intention is to have users
download an app that will allow them to unlock (and relock) via RF on their phone, based on a code we send.

Not all phones support NFC, so you would need some other way for them to
use the access code as well...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazza wrote:

Intention is to have users download an app that will allow them to
unlock (and relock) via RFID on their phone

What if they don't have an NFC-capable phone?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 01/02/2021 21:57, Bazza wrote:
Looking for recommendations for controlling access by users of our
storage units. There are 40 units on the site.

Airbnb owners typically have similar requirements. I would look into
solutions for that market.

(for airbnb, you don't want access to work before or after the scheduled
stay, so codes need to only stay valid for a day or few)

These would be steel storage units with no on-site management. We want
to control it all over the internet. Intention is to have users
download an app that will allow them to unlock (and relock) via RF on
their phone, based on a code we send.

Not all phones support NFC, so you would need some other way for them to
use the access code as well...

I'd expect a keypad would be needed anyway, and cheaper than an NFC interface.
Unlike Airbnb they probably aren't coming and going multiple times a day so
typing a code wouldn't be that onerous.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
I'd expect a keypad would be needed anyway, and cheaper than an NFC
interface. Unlike Airbnb they probably aren't coming and going multiple
times a day so typing a code wouldn't be that onerous.

That would be the simple way. Our local church has that for the hall front
door. For evening hire, etc. Saves having to pay the caretaker to open up.
They send the code by SMS.

--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
I'd expect a keypad would be needed anyway, and cheaper than an NFC
interface. Unlike Airbnb they probably aren't coming and going multiple
times a day so typing a code wouldn't be that onerous.

That would be the simple way. Our local church has that for the hall front
door. For evening hire, etc. Saves having to pay the caretaker to open up.
They send the code by SMS.

How often does the code change?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
Theo wrote:
I'd expect a keypad would be needed anyway, and cheaper than an NFC
interface. Unlike Airbnb they probably aren't coming and going multiple
times a day so typing a code wouldn't be that onerous.

That would be the simple way. Our local church has that for the hall front
door. For evening hire, etc. Saves having to pay the caretaker to open up.
They send the code by SMS.

How often does the code change?

As often as 'they' want it to. It seems to be programmed some time ahead.
I dunno if this is done at a control panel, or via a computer link.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2021 21:57, Bazza wrote:
Looking for recommendations for controlling access by users of our
storage units. There are 40 units on the site.

These would be steel storage units with no on-site management. We
want to control it all over the internet. Intention is to have users
download an app that will allow them to unlock (and relock) via RFID
on their phone, based on a code we send.

The entire storage facility needs to be run remotely so that the
locking system in each individual unit can have the code reset by us
remotely over the internet. Similarly it should be able to be
over-ridden by us if rental money is outstanding.

Ideally the app should be linked in to our website so that users can
sign up with direct debit payment.

As part of a gated marina I have come across something like this:

https://www.electricgates-uk.co.uk/o...te-opener.html

where you make a call to a number and the sender's number is recognised.
I am aware this is intended for multiple users but has some form of
central control to add or remove numbers.

It means the most noddiest phones will work, and doesn't require
anything to be installed, it just needs a mobile signal.

The above link is the first I came across and I am sure there are others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.electricgates-uk.co.uk/o...7892-GSM-Gate-

opener.html

where you make a call to a number and the sender's number is recognised.
I am aware this is intended for multiple users but has some form of
central control to add or remove numbers.

It means the most noddiest phones will work, and doesn't require
anything to be installed, it just needs a mobile signal.

The above link is the first I came across and I am sure there are
others.

Yes, our local storage units have this. You also have to use a keypad,
with a known number. Then you need your key!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
I'd expect a keypad would be needed anyway, and cheaper than an NFC
interface. Unlike Airbnb they probably aren't coming and going multiple
times a day so typing a code wouldn't be that onerous.

That would be the simple way. Our local church has that for the hall front
door. For evening hire, etc. Saves having to pay the caretaker to open up.
They send the code by SMS.

But does the code have to be manually changed on a regular basis?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,
Theo wrote:
I'd expect a keypad would be needed anyway, and cheaper than an NFC
interface. Unlike Airbnb they probably aren't coming and going multiple
times a day so typing a code wouldn't be that onerous.

That would be the simple way. Our local church has that for the hall front
door. For evening hire, etc. Saves having to pay the caretaker to open up.
They send the code by SMS.

But does the code have to be manually changed on a regular basis?

I dunno how the code is set. If you hire the room, you are sent the code.
If you hire it on a regular basis and pre-pay, you are sent all the
(different) codes for each occasion in advance.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain Lastname wrote:
On Wednesday, 3 February 2021 at 09:48:35 UTC, alan_m wrote:
That would be the simple way. Our local church has that for the hall front
door. For evening hire, etc. Saves having to pay the caretaker to open up.
They send the code by SMS.

But does the code have to be manually changed on a regular basis?

I would expect the code is either one-time-only or valid for a limited
time period (to allow for multiple entries for getting things out of the
car, etc, but only works for half an hour before the let starts).

The lock mechanism therefore needs linking to the code-generating system.

The thing is obviously micro proccessor controlled. And given the tiny
amount of data, no real reason why there couldn't be multiple codes for
the same day, each one time related. And obviously the code must work for
all the time you have access to the hall.

I'd guess an up to date one would be programmed via an external device
like a phone or laptop. Makes little sense providing a comprehensive local
control unit in this day and age.

--
*When you get a bladder infection urine trouble.*