Gary J Tait

Default Remote controlled audio potentiometer (OT?)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:22:31 +0100, "Maxy888"
wrote:

Hello,

I would like to change the manual volume potentiometer of my integrated
amplifier with a motor-driven potentiometer which must be infrared
controlled.

My question is simple...

How do I do that?

I've already chosen the potentiometer, what do I need now? A servo control?
And what about the infrared control and reciever?

Do you have any idea about some newsgroup I colud ask in?

Thank You

You need a DC PM motor to turn the potentiometer. You need a gearing
mechanism to reduce the RPM, an a sip clutch (so the motor doesn't
brak the potentiometer at its limits, plus you can manually operate
the potentiometer.

The motor will be controlled by an H-bridge, which has two logic
lines, a CW and a CCW.

As for the remote, that is a little more open.

You can find/build a transmitter/receiver set that provides the logic
to provide the signals you need (can't recommend one though, at least
one in production).

You can use an existing remote (or chip, or code in a universal
remote), and build a microcontroller based decoder for it (takes
software skills).

When I built my A/V switcher, I chose the former, as the logic with a
decoder chip was easier for me than the software code would be.
I salvaged the decoder chip from some obsolete gear, and "emulated"
the original remote in a programmable universal remote (One ForAll URC
6011/6017).

You should ask in the sci.electronics.design group.

worldcitizen

Maxy888 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to change the manual volume potentiometer of my

integrated
amplifier with a motor-driven potentiometer which must be infrared
controlled.

My question is simple...

How do I do that?

I've already chosen the potentiometer, what do I need now? A servo

control?
And what about the infrared control and reciever?

Do you have any idea about some newsgroup I colud ask in?

Thank You

Maybe salvage the remote, reciever, and motors from a cheap RC car that
has at least 2 different control axis like front/back or forward/turn,
you get the idea.
By doing this you won't have to do much more than making everything
attach to your volume control.

jakdedert

worldcitizen wrote:
Maxy888 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to change the manual volume potentiometer of my
integrated amplifier with a motor-driven potentiometer which must be
infrared controlled.

My question is simple...

How do I do that?

I've already chosen the potentiometer, what do I need now? A servo
control? And what about the infrared control and reciever?

Do you have any idea about some newsgroup I colud ask in?

Thank You

Maybe salvage the remote, reciever, and motors from a cheap RC car
that has at least 2 different control axis like front/back or
forward/turn, you get the idea.
By doing this you won't have to do much more than making everything
attach to your volume control.

NO, no...salvage the entire motorized volume control from one of the
plethora of Technics receivers which are dustbinned daily because the output
chips have blown...and for which replacements are too expensive to
economically fix. Possibly some of those units have the remote
receiver/decoder on a separate board as well.....

jak

Gary J Tait

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:03:08 -0600, "jakdedert"
wrote:

worldcitizen wrote:
Maxy888 wrote:
[...]

Possibly could be a stretch. Not knowing the details of the Technics
design:

On my Yamaha, on the main system board, near the front, is the system
controller, which, amongst other things, decodes the remote commands
(in software), an provides logic to control its volume motor, source
selectors, drive the LCD, and tune the tuner.

On Pioneer he The remote and front panel is decoded in the front
panel, which sends logic signasl to the various pieces, including the
DSP.

I would think it would be just as easy to start from square one with
new silicon (EG a micro or a specific remote decoder chip)