Posted to alt.home.repair
Snydley

Default remote controlled light switch

I want to control my garage's outside light from inside my house with a
remote controlled RF light switch. The light is currently controlled with
2 - 3 way switches, one on both floors of the garage. The light was never
wired to the house, and the only way to control it now is to walk out to the
garage and turn it on or off. I'd like to be able to do this remotely from
the house.
Does anyone manufacture some kind of receiver/switch and remote control that
you can wire into an existing 3 way circuit?
Has anyone here ever done this? I appreciate any help you might bring.
Thanks,
Snyde

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Snydley" wrote in message
.. .
I want to control my garage's outside light from inside my house with a
remote controlled RF light switch. The light is currently controlled with
2 - 3 way switches, one on both floors of the garage. The light was never
wired to the house, and the only way to control it now is to walk out to

the
garage and turn it on or off. I'd like to be able to do this remotely from
the house.
Does anyone manufacture some kind of receiver/switch and remote control

that
you can wire into an existing 3 way circuit?
Has anyone here ever done this? I appreciate any help you might bring.
Thanks,
Snyde

X-10 and google

garage door opener type and google

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Snydley wrote:
I want to control my garage's outside light from inside my house with a
remote controlled RF light switch. The light is currently controlled
with 2 - 3 way switches, one on both floors of the garage. The light
was never wired to the house, and the only way to control it now is
to walk out to the garage and turn it on or off. I'd like to be able
to do this remotely from the house.
Does anyone manufacture some kind of receiver/switch and remote
control that you can wire into an existing 3 way circuit?
Has anyone here ever done this? I appreciate any help you might bring.
Thanks,
Snyde

http://www.smarthome.com/index.html

They have X-10 and RF Both should work for you. You also might want to
take a look at the garage door openers that offer multi function operation

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Snydley wrote:

I want to control my garage's outside light from inside my house with a
remote controlled RF light switch. The light is currently controlled with
2 - 3 way switches, one on both floors of the garage. The light was never
wired to the house, and the only way to control it now is to walk out to the
garage and turn it on or off. I'd like to be able to do this remotely from
the house.
Does anyone manufacture some kind of receiver/switch and remote control that
you can wire into an existing 3 way circuit?
Has anyone here ever done this? I appreciate any help you might bring.
Thanks,
Snyde

If you want to "do it raht" so that both the existing switches in the
garage operate "normally" and the remote also switches the light on or
off.....

Sounds like you're going to need a DPDT "alternate position" relay wired
into the existing 3-way switch travelers and a momentary rf switch to
pulse its coil and cause the relay to act like a local DPDT switch
that's just been flipped.

HTH,

Jeff

P.S. Can someone give me a good reason why they call those SPDT switches
"3-way switches"? Seems to me they only have TWO positions.

JW

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Snydley wrote:

[...]

My guess is they usually involve three devices, one lamp and two
switches. Four way's add one or more switches. Maybe it is because the
switches have three wires connected (four ways have four wires.)

JW

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Snydley wrote:

[...]

A recent post somewhere said it goes back to the Edison days when
'openings' were counted for billing. A switch and a light were 2
openings or a 2-way. Two switches become a 3-way. 3 switches become a 4-way.

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
Snydley

I forgot to mention on my last post about this that the light I want to
control is a mercury vapor security light if that makes any difference.

Snyde
.. .