Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Self storage units

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 9:52:55 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/20/2021 9:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 7:06:46 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

I have a 90+ YO aunt. Totally blind. She lives in a senior living complex that
is HUD funded. The vast majority of occupants (but not her) are retired nuns.
It's a very nice, well maintained and secure place to live.

Unfortunately, she's a hoarder. SWMBO is her POA and 2+ years ago we got a
call from the company that runs the facility. There was a HUD inspection
coming up and there was no way that her apartment would pass. Eviction
was a possibility unless she cleaned the place up.

She wouldn't let us throw anything out and chose instead to rent a storage
facility for the minimum amount of things that we needed to remove to make
the apartment "inspectable". I pay for it every month and every few months
she reimburses me with a money order. (I haven't told her that the monthly
cost went up last year).

No has been to the unit in those 2+ years. She keeps saying that she'll want
me to bring the stuff back someday but "not yet". I can just about guarantee
that it will go straight from storage into the same dumpster as the rest of her
stuff when she dies.

That's a tough situation. You know as soon as you toss one trinket she
is going to ask you to bring it back.

Yeah, and even though she is 90+ and has been blind for over 20 years,
she, for the most part, knows what's in just about every box and knows
where the boxes are in her apartment.

"There's a stack of 3 boxes in the far left corner of the bedroom. In the
middle box, towards the front, there's a manila envelope. Could you get
that for me?" She is extremely intelligent and her memory is phenomenal.

The biggest issue is that it's mostly paperwork - thousands of pages - that
she doesn't want to get rid of until "she goes through them". So she needs
someone to read them to her. "What's the date?" "What's the amount?" "Does
it have the name of the doctor on it?" "You know, I started seeing that doctor
when we lived on Elm St. He had nurse named Ann that I didn't get along with."

Imagine that kind of process for box after box of paperwork, going back
decades. It's brutal and patience is not my strong suit. Heck, that suit isn't
even in my closet. ;-)