Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self storage units

On 5/19/2021 8:45 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:06:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

AARP magazine has an article about self storage units. I guess as a
society we like out junk and are willing to pay to keep it. The US has
90% of the storage places in the world.

One in 10 household rent space. Total of 1.9 billion sq. ft.

Average rental is 15.8 months

Six of 10 boomers visit the storage unit one a month

In a recent year. 1550,000 units were auctioned off for non payment and
abandoned.

As a society I guess we put a lot of effort into keeping crap. I would
never keep that much and when we moved about 2 1/2 years ago made many
grips to Salvation Army.
even after moving, I still got rid of stuff.

I used one when we moved. We wanted to de-junkify the house to sell
it. I rented a storage unit and put everything that wasn't absolutely
needed (including my tools) for the few months our house was on the
market. I had a new job 70mi away and was commuting on weekends so
took a pickup load a week to the new place.

When we moved I used Pods. Rented the first one when the house went on
the market and made lots of trips to Salvation Army store.