Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The tale of gas cans continues:

On 3/26/2021 12:37 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:17:43 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 3/25/2021 11:54 AM,
wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 10:35:00 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 3/24/21 9:19 AM, Snag wrote:
On 3/23/2021 9:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/23/2021 10:09 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:38:07 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

SNIP

Â* Since all my 2 strokes are Stihl (except one 45 yr old Homelite
chainsaw) I buy their premeasured bottles . 12.8 oz per 5 gallons , I
use a 2.5 gal container and half a bottle . I also mix my gas (87 oct
reg and 92 oct premium , both non-ethanol) 50/50 since Stihl recommends
89 or better .

Echo also recommends 89/mid grade octane for their two-stroke machines.

I could never figure out why such low compression engines would need
anything more than regular grade 87 octane gas. Is pre-ignition really a
problem?

Echo also recommends using a higher grade of two stroke oil (ISO-L-EGD
(ISO/CD 13738) and J.A.S.O. FD) instead of the cheap sludge I've always
used in my 1960's vintage 70 HP Evinrude outboard that's still running
like a champ.

Nonetheless, I've used the Echo-recommended oil in all my Echo lawn
tools and they too are working fine.

Has any homeowner actually ever worn out the engine on a weed eater?
They usually get tossed because of other things, just like cars.

Yup , got one the neighbor wanted fixed . It still ran , but only at
around half power . Had as much suction as compression when you pulled
the rope .

Sounds like reeds.

That trimmer motor has no reeds , the rings were so worn the most of
the compression was lost by TDC . No other way that I know of it could
have suction on the downstroke .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2021 12:36 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:08:49 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 3/24/2021 7:33 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 15:03:55 -0500, Snag wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:38:07 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

I bought a new plastic gas can last fall.Â* I gave my daughter my
tractor and gas can, and needed a new can for my push mower.

It's got a spout, and a little lever you hold down and press the lip
against the edge, and it works fine.Â* It was easy and I didn't spill.

They've obviously improved.Â* The last time I used one of those I gave
up and got my funnel.

Best of all, I found a gas station that sells ethanol free gas.Â* I
put a good bit of work into repairing that push mower and want to try
to keep it going.

If I get my gas string trimmer working this summer I may just buy the
premix.Â* For the small amount I use, mixing oil isn't worth the hassle.

I have said this before but go to a pharmacy and get a 10cc syringe.
It makes mixing gas by the tank easy. Figure out how much the tank
holds in ML and do a little math. I wrote the number on the machines
with a sharpie.

You make it sound easy but not everyone has a Sharpie.

Since all my 2 strokes are Stihl (except one 45 yr old Homelite
chainsaw) I buy their premeasured bottles . 12.8 oz per 5 gallons , I
use a 2.5 gal container and half a bottle . I also mix my gas (87 oct
reg and 92 oct premium , both non-ethanol) 50/50 since Stihl recommends
89 or better .

I burn enough gas in my boat that it doesn't get stale so I still buy
E-10 and mix as I go for yard equipment that doesn't get used nearly
as much. My chain saw has a half liter tank so a 10cc shot of oil is
perfect for it. (50:1) My Remington 2700 weed eater has a slightly
smaller tank (414ml), uses 40:1 and it gets 10 CC too. Close enough.

Hey , whatever works for you . I use enough that it would be a PITA
to mix it a tank at a time .

Not so much here. I seldom use a whole tank of gas in either of them.
I end up pouring the excess in the mower and running the little
machine dry.

Not so much with the line trimmer , but I quite often go thru over a
tank of gas in the saws .

If I am cleaning up after a hurricane or clearing out the canal I
might burn a gallon of gas but usually it is just a few limbs.
Sometime I just use my electric (taken off the pole saw) but my
"Husqvarna" doesn't screw around. It gets the job done a lot faster.

Husky makes a damn fine saw ! I think the major difference between
our use is that I cut several cords each year to heat my home .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:47:55 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 3/26/2021 12:51 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:56:24 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Has any homeowner actually ever worn out the engine on a weed eater?
They usually get tossed because of other things, just like cars.

If like I used to be, they got tossed because they would not start. That
was for the cheap ones.

After I retired and had time, I found out most of them needed the
carborator cleaned out or some fuel line in the gas tank was bad.

Often the filter in the tank broke off and then let junk into the
carborator.

Lots of them lost compression to the point they would not start
without rther too - or the crankcase seals started to leak and they
ran lean ANF had poor transfer. In other words they wore out. Quite a
few of the cheap ones had a half life of about 75 hours. In 150 they
were dead.

I was looking at the data tag on a Poulan chainsaw , it said the
expected service life was 50 hours ... that was tied to emissions levels
, but from personal experience that particular make/model isn't one I
would ever buy again . My Stihl equipment has much better workmanship
and materials .

ANd that 50 hours better not be in one week!!! The duty cycle on the
crap has to be less than one minute cutting and 3 resting to last even
that long on some of the cheap (not necessarilly inexpensive) brands -
which translates to a month or two of casual wood-cutting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK I really have never taken a little 2 smoke apart. I just know old
outboards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

After Irma and Charley I had several cords of wood but it was just
small enough to drag with my truck, not fireplace ready. It took two
18 wheeler trailers to haul it away after Charley. Irma was 2 big claw
truck beds full.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 10:50:27 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 3/26/2021 8:47 AM, Snag wrote:
On 3/26/2021 12:51 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:56:24 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Has any homeowner actually ever worn out the engine on a weed eater?
They usually get tossed because of other things, just like cars.

If like I used to be, they got tossed because they would not start. That
was for the cheap ones.

After I retired and had time, I found out most of them needed the
carborator cleaned out or some fuel line in the gas tank was bad.

Often the filter in the tank broke off and then let junk into the
carborator.

Lots of them lost compression to the point they would not start
without rther too - or the crankcase seals started to leak and they
ran lean ANF had poor transfer. In other words they wore out. Quite a
few of the cheap ones had a half life of about 75 hours. In 150 they
were dead.

Â*I was looking at the data tag on a Poulan chainsaw , it said the
expected service life was 50 hours ... that was tied to emissions levels
, but from personal experience that particular make/model isn't one I
would ever buy again . My Stihl equipment has much better workmanship
and materials .

I have a cheap Poulan and it is a piece of crap. Some companies make
low cost item like that and high cost hold up much better.

I had a Remington 33 that wasn't up to the task. After fooling with it
for a couple years I put it on the curb. Someone took it .. Good Luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:47:55 -0500, Snag posted for all of us to digest...

On 3/26/2021 12:51 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:56:24 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

All Stihl in the fire co, chain saws, chop saws, etc. Of course they get a
regular workout and maintenance if they don't start in two pulls they are put
OOS until repaired.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2021 9:50 AM, Frank wrote:
On 3/26/2021 8:47 AM, Snag wrote:
On 3/26/2021 12:51 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:56:24 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Has any homeowner actually ever worn out the engine on a weed eater?
They usually get tossed because of other things, just like cars.

If like I used to be, they got tossed because they would not start.
That
was for the cheap ones.

After I retired and had time, I found out most of them needed the
carborator cleaned out or some fuel line in the gas tank was bad.

Often the filter in the tank broke off and then let junk into the
carborator.

Lots of them lost compression to the point they would not start
without rther too - or the crankcase seals started to leak and they
ran lean ANF had poor transfer. In other words they wore out. Quite a
few of the cheap ones had a half life of about 75 hours. In 150 they
were dead.

Â*Â*I was looking at the data tag on a Poulan chainsaw , it said the
expected service life was 50 hours ... that was tied to emissions
levels , but from personal experience that particular make/model isn't
one I would ever buy again . My Stihl equipment has much better
workmanship and materials .

I have a cheap Poulan and it is a piece of crap.Â* Some companies make
low cost item like that and high cost hold up much better.

My Stihl MS250 cost just about twice what a comparable sized Poulan
does ... and I expect it to last at least 5X as long . My "old" Stihl is
an 025 , at least 20 years old . It was given to me by a neighbor that
couldn't keep it running ... after I finished wearing out the original
motor , I put a new one in . And when I got the new saw I went up a size
to an 18" bar on the old one so they'd use the same size . Both work
extremely well for what I do - as long as I take care to keep the chains
sharp and the bar (slot) tight .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
We shot them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

*I was looking at the data tag on a Poulan chainsaw , it said the
expected service life was 50 hours ... that was tied to emissions levels
, but from personal experience that particular make/model isn't one I
would ever buy again . My Stihl equipment has much better workmanship
and materials .

I have a cheap Poulan and it is a piece of crap. Some companies make
low cost item like that and high cost hold up much better.

Unless you know the product it is easy to get screwed over.

I bought a house with about 1.5 acres to mow. Bought a John Deere low
end mower. Transmission wore out after a few years. Found out many
people had the same problem. At the time I did not know Deere would
make a piece of crap, but they did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery writes:
In article , "frank says...

*I was looking at the data tag on a Poulan chainsaw , it said the
expected service life was 50 hours ... that was tied to emissions levels
, but from personal experience that particular make/model isn't one I
would ever buy again . My Stihl equipment has much better workmanship
and materials .

I have a cheap Poulan and it is a piece of crap. Some companies make
low cost item like that and high cost hold up much better.

Unless you know the product it is easy to get screwed over.

I bought a house with about 1.5 acres to mow. Bought a John Deere low
end mower. Transmission wore out after a few years. Found out many
people had the same problem. At the time I did not know Deere would
make a piece of crap, but they did.

Generally one gets what one pays for. You can buy a cheap JD at
Lowes or spend a grand more for a non-consumer-grade JD from the JD dealer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 5:38:11 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
I bought a new plastic gas can last fall. I gave my daughter my tractor and gas can, and needed a new can for my push mower.

It's got a spout, and a little lever you hold down and press the lip against the edge, and it works fine. It was easy and I didn't spill.

They've obviously improved. The last time I used one of those I gave up and got my funnel.

Best of all, I found a gas station that sells ethanol free gas. I put a good bit of work into repairing that push mower and want to try to keep it going.

If I get my gas string trimmer working this summer I may just buy the premix. For the small amount I use, mixing oil isn't worth the hassle.

I made a run to the next town for ethanol free gas, and fueled up the push mower yesterday.

To my surprise it started first pull. Yes, I replaced the carb with a cheap chinese one last summer, ran it only on ethanol free, and ran it dry before storing, but still that was a pleasant surprise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 06:31:33 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

[...]

My lawn mowers and snow blower virtually ALWAYS start first try but
I've always (for the last 15 or more years) used ethanol free
gasoline. I drain the bowl of the blower and store them all with full
tank - usually with a shot of sea-foam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

To my surprise it started first pull. Yes, I replaced the carb with a cheap chinese one last summer, ran it only on ethanol free, and ran it dry before storing, but still that was a pleasant surprise.

My lawn mowers and snow blower virtually ALWAYS start first try but
I've always (for the last 15 or more years) used ethanol free
gasoline. I drain the bowl of the blower and store them all with full
tank - usually with a shot of sea-foam.

I have been using the ethanol free for a few years in all the small
engines and even put the Sta-bil in it . No problems. For the 4 cycle
engines like the tiller and pressure washer that are only used a few
times a year I let it run dry. For the 2 cycle engines I have heard not
to run them dry as the oil in the gas does the lubercating and it is bad
to let them run dry.

For my riding mower I just make sure I double dose it with Sta-bil and
have a full tank when I store it for about 3 or 4 months. It has always
started very easy. One thing I do is I have a solar battery tender that
I hook to the battery so it is fully charged when I first start it after
storage.

Before switching to the E-free gas I always had a hard time starting
the engines if Ileft gas in them for a long period of time.

I have even started filling my truck with the e-free as I may not drive
it enough in a month to use a full tank of gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:26:37 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

With ethanol gas most small engines run too lean too - making them
harder to start, making them difficult to idle, AND lowering the
power. It gets even worse when the "greenies" restrict the jets even
further - and there is NO adjustment available to compensate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 19:49:00 -0400, micky
wrote:

The tale of gas cans continues:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ainst-n1252595

Here's a few :

https://jantziauctions.hibid.com/cat...page=3&ipp=100

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The tale of gas cans continues:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ainst-n1252595

Here's a few :

https://jantziauctions.hibid.com/cat...page=3&ipp=100

John T.

Ebay has some also.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw= five+gallon+cans&_sacat=0
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 16:35:20 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman

wrote:

The tale of gas cans continues:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ainst-n1252595

Here's a few :

https://jantziauctions.hibid.com/cat...page=3&ipp=100

John T.

Ebay has some also.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw= five+gallon+cans&_sacat=0

These appear to be hot sellers for the 99.999% of Americans who know
you don't pour gas on a fire from a 5 gallon can.

https://tinyurl.com/3tfb978h

Gas Cans Diamond[_2_] Home Repair 40 November 21st 12 07:00 PM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Ownership 3 June 18th 07 06:34 AM
Natural Gas - Pictures and Diagrams of Natural Gas, Natural Gas Furnace, Natural Gas Grill, Natural Gas Heater, Natural Gas Water Heater and Natural Gas Vehicle [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 18th 07 05:32 AM
Ventless gas cans Vic Dura Home Repair 10 July 31st 05 10:50 PM
OT-gas cans- favorites? patrick mitchel Metalworking 3 March 4th 05 10:29 PM