Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default The tale of gas cans continues:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:26:37 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

To my surprise it started first pull. Yes, I replaced the carb with a cheap chinese one last summer, ran it only on ethanol free, and ran it dry before storing, but still that was a pleasant surprise.

My lawn mowers and snow blower virtually ALWAYS start first try but
I've always (for the last 15 or more years) used ethanol free
gasoline. I drain the bowl of the blower and store them all with full
tank - usually with a shot of sea-foam.

I have been using the ethanol free for a few years in all the small
engines and even put the Sta-bil in it . No problems. For the 4 cycle
engines like the tiller and pressure washer that are only used a few
times a year I let it run dry. For the 2 cycle engines I have heard not
to run them dry as the oil in the gas does the lubercating and it is bad
to let them run dry.

For my riding mower I just make sure I double dose it with Sta-bil and
have a full tank when I store it for about 3 or 4 months. It has always
started very easy. One thing I do is I have a solar battery tender that
I hook to the battery so it is fully charged when I first start it after
storage.

Before switching to the E-free gas I always had a hard time starting
the engines if Ileft gas in them for a long period of time.

I have even started filling my truck with the e-free as I may not drive
it enough in a month to use a full tank of gas.

With ethanol gas most small engines run too lean too - making them
harder to start, making them difficult to idle, AND lowering the
power. It gets even worse when the "greenies" restrict the jets even
further - and there is NO adjustment available to compensate.