Posted to alt.home.repair
SNAG SNAG is offline

Default The tale of gas cans continues:

On 3/26/2021 9:50 AM, Frank wrote:
On 3/26/2021 8:47 AM, Snag wrote:
On 3/26/2021 12:51 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:56:24 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Has any homeowner actually ever worn out the engine on a weed eater?
They usually get tossed because of other things, just like cars.

If like I used to be, they got tossed because they would not start.
That
was for the cheap ones.

After I retired and had time, I found out most of them needed the
carborator cleaned out or some fuel line in the gas tank was bad.

Often the filter in the tank broke off and then let junk into the
carborator.

Lots of them lost compression to the point they would not start
without rther too - or the crankcase seals started to leak and they
ran lean ANF had poor transfer. In other words they wore out. Quite a
few of the cheap ones had a half life of about 75 hours. In 150 they
were dead.

Â*Â*I was looking at the data tag on a Poulan chainsaw , it said the
expected service life was 50 hours ... that was tied to emissions
levels , but from personal experience that particular make/model isn't
one I would ever buy again . My Stihl equipment has much better
workmanship and materials .

I have a cheap Poulan and it is a piece of crap.Â* Some companies make
low cost item like that and high cost hold up much better.

My Stihl MS250 cost just about twice what a comparable sized Poulan
does ... and I expect it to last at least 5X as long . My "old" Stihl is
an 025 , at least 20 years old . It was given to me by a neighbor that
couldn't keep it running ... after I finished wearing out the original
motor , I put a new one in . And when I got the new saw I went up a size
to an 18" bar on the old one so they'd use the same size . Both work
extremely well for what I do - as long as I take care to keep the chains
sharp and the bar (slot) tight .
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.