Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The tale of gas cans continues:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 08:06:49 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 3/26/2021 12:36 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:08:49 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 3/24/2021 7:33 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 15:03:55 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 3/24/2021 1:33 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 08:19:34 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 3/23/2021 9:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/23/2021 10:09 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 14:38:07 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

I bought a new plastic gas can last fall.Â* I gave my daughter my
tractor and gas can, and needed a new can for my push mower.

It's got a spout, and a little lever you hold down and press the lip
against the edge, and it works fine.Â* It was easy and I didn't spill.

They've obviously improved.Â* The last time I used one of those I gave
up and got my funnel.

Best of all, I found a gas station that sells ethanol free gas.Â* I
put a good bit of work into repairing that push mower and want to try
to keep it going.

If I get my gas string trimmer working this summer I may just buy the
premix.Â* For the small amount I use, mixing oil isn't worth the hassle.

I have said this before but go to a pharmacy and get a 10cc syringe.
It makes mixing gas by the tank easy. Figure out how much the tank
holds in ML and do a little math. I wrote the number on the machines
with a sharpie.

You make it sound easy but not everyone has a Sharpie.

Since all my 2 strokes are Stihl (except one 45 yr old Homelite
chainsaw) I buy their premeasured bottles . 12.8 oz per 5 gallons , I
use a 2.5 gal container and half a bottle . I also mix my gas (87 oct
reg and 92 oct premium , both non-ethanol) 50/50 since Stihl recommends
89 or better .

I burn enough gas in my boat that it doesn't get stale so I still buy
E-10 and mix as I go for yard equipment that doesn't get used nearly
as much. My chain saw has a half liter tank so a 10cc shot of oil is
perfect for it. (50:1) My Remington 2700 weed eater has a slightly
smaller tank (414ml), uses 40:1 and it gets 10 CC too. Close enough.

Hey , whatever works for you . I use enough that it would be a PITA
to mix it a tank at a time .

Not so much here. I seldom use a whole tank of gas in either of them.
I end up pouring the excess in the mower and running the little
machine dry.

Not so much with the line trimmer , but I quite often go thru over a
tank of gas in the saws .

If I am cleaning up after a hurricane or clearing out the canal I
might burn a gallon of gas but usually it is just a few limbs.
Sometime I just use my electric (taken off the pole saw) but my
"Husqvarna" doesn't screw around. It gets the job done a lot faster.

Husky makes a damn fine saw ! I think the major difference between
our use is that I cut several cords each year to heat my home .

After Irma and Charley I had several cords of wood but it was just
small enough to drag with my truck, not fireplace ready. It took two
18 wheeler trailers to haul it away after Charley. Irma was 2 big claw
truck beds full.