Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mechanism to change height of a work bench

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2020 07:09 PM, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

How often will you be changing the height? There are a variety of RV
stabilizer jacks. A set of 4 scissor type jacks is about $100. It would
be tedious to crank them up and down very often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/20 8:09 PM, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

Picture a very light version of one of these.
https://www.palletforks.com/industrial/shop-cranes/12-ton-adjustable-steel-gantry-crane-shop-lift/840041.html?scid=scbplp840041&sc_intid=840041&mscl kid=45eda7e5c382150bf31ef86d38571f86&utm_source=bi ng&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC%20Shopping%20-%20NB%20-%20Desktop&utm_term=4580840326356013&utm_content=S C%20Shopping%20-%20NB%20-%20Desktop

OR https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6rx8tu4

Could you make something from garage door opener parts?
Trailer jacks?
http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/13000086/images/195356-bulldog-trailer-jack-square-tube-5000-sidewind.jpg
A portable shop crane that could be used for other things?
https://www.toolots.com/foldable-hydraulic-shop-crane-4400lbs-max-capacity-amatek-scp2000.html?cid=389572081&msclkid=851e2e316a371c1 20eb271b81332d028&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&u tm_campaign=everytings%20-%20shopping&utm_term=4581252644184726&utm_content= everything

OR https://preview.tinyurl.com/yysu4ksp

There are these fine things. We call them come alongs.
https://www.toolots.com/4400-lbs-wire-rope-grip-puller.html?cid=389572081&msclkid=f9d2c4c8a5211208 66e59b41deb77e7a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&ut m_campaign=everytings%20-%20shopping&utm_term=4581252644184726&utm_content= everything

OR https://preview.tinyurl.com/y36uwxje

Lowes has something called a kayek storage hoist.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fleming-Supply-Fleming-Supply-Kayak-Storage-Hoist-Set-of-2-Pulley-and-Strap-System-to-Lift-Canoes-SUPs-and-Ladders-to-the-Ceiling/1002549008?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-bing-_-pla-_-151-_-1002549008-_-0&kpid&placeholder=null&msclkid=28a5657c2a071a3784 763af557367098&gclid=28a5657c2a071a3784763af557367 098&gclsrc=3p.ds

OR https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxlagdyb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 9:09:44 PM UTC-4, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

Do you need the whole 5 feet by 30 inches raised, or would a smaller amount work?

You could build a sturdy box, 8 inches high and two feet square, With corner posts that extend into index holes on your current bench. Set it on top when you need the height, toss it under the bench when you don't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/20 7:19 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

That would be much simpler than any ideas I had. What about a
hinged, flip down shelf, with legs on the outside edge?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2020 06:41 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/16/20 7:19 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

It's a little pricey:

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Stan...dp/B07QCNL73Y/

There are less expensive adjustable desks that may have a suitable
mechanism to cannibalize.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 16 Oct 2020 05:19:37 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

[...]

I like your idea better, but maybe not as good, but it depends on the
current height, and certainly not as cool as the request, but
conversely, a a sturdy box to stand on. Maybe 2 to 3 feet wide, and
maybe with a short back wall to remind him not to step backwards and
fall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2020 6:09 PM, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

4 screw jacks linked together with bicycle chain and a crank or gear motor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:09:38 -0700 (PDT), Three Jeeps
wrote:

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

Look at how your lawn mower adjusts hight - Preferably a single point
adjuster. Get a handle off an old trail plow, with the hand lever and
sector to give you fixed intervals.
Or get 4 jack screws,with pulleys, and some wire rope and a crank
handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

Look at how your lawn mower adjusts hight - Preferably a single point
adjuster. Get a handle off an old trail plow, with the hand lever and
sector to give you fixed intervals.
Or get 4 jack screws,with pulleys, and some wire rope and a crank
handle.

Wow, you're old. I knew what you meant but had to look it up
out of curiosity. A good share of the results were blades for ATVs or
pickups.
Dad's was a two bottom that he pulled with his Farmall M. He
eventually bought a three bottom that used a hydraulic cylinder
to lift.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 9:09:44 PM UTC-4, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

as a follow-up
Thanks for all the replies!!! am very appreciative. Given the location and setting of the workbench, any lifting mechanism from the top wont work. Neither will separating the bench into smaller parts. The bench is in the shape of a 'L' with one side being a 'set aside' area' and is basically free standing and not intended to move up/down.

Hard to say how often it would be moved up/dn...lets put it this way, if there was an easy mechanism to do it, it would be moved often. Working on some things like a stereo receiver, I prefer higher. Working on developing something on a small computer, I prefer lower, like a desk. It all sorta depends on what is being worked on and how I feel I can best approach it.

The idea by rbowman seems to fit the bill nicely and yea, a little pricey but.....my desk is a little larger than what that can support. I'll have to look for something similar that will be a better size fit, but also capable of lifting 150-250 lbs - which is what it will be once I get all my electronic gear on it or make other arrangements for the gear and have a lighter bench.
Still open to other options....
Thanks again
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I suppose you could fabricate a scissor lift mechanism and use a
linear actuator to run it up and down. Surplus Center in Nebraska has
them.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Linear-Actuators/DC-Linear-Actuators/9-84-Stroke-110-lbs-12-Volt-DC-Linear-Actuator-GlideForce-LACT10-5-1845-10.axd
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/15/2020 6:09 PM, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

https://www.google.com/search?client...le+work+benmch
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A loot of the RV levelers or slideout supports incorporate screwjacks or
jack screws if you're Canadian.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 09:00:26 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 10/15/2020 6:09 PM, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

https://www.google.com/search?client...le+work+benmch

"Mike"s trailer jack idea looks OK but you are probably $200-300 in
parts

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I ploughed with a 3 bottom behind 1949 MH 44. Same as my Dad did
about 10 years earlier - when he hit a rock that unhitched the plow
just as he grabbed the lever to lift the plow. He caught up to the
tractor and hit the clutch just before it went through the fence into
the Grand River.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hey, good for him. I don't approve of polluting waterways.

And tractors are expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder formulated on Saturday :

wrote:

[...]

That's not good for the tractor or the river.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 11:43:45 AM UTC-4, Three Jeeps wrote:
[...]

So, you don't really need 5 feet of high desk, you really need enough to work on one project, and while working on a project like that it might even be more convenient to have a lower space to set tools and parts on.

Since you need about 8 inches of height, the simplest solution is still the box. On a box you can pound or drill. The second simplest solution, if you won't have to apply force, is a set of sturdy brackets on the wall or mounted onto the back of the bench into which you occasionally insert a shelf.. If you need strength you just put hinged legs on the front of it.

The elegant solution is to dedicate a space on the bench and separate it. Draw a rectangle about 24 inches wide and 19 deep, and cut that piece out of your bench. Put legs on it on pivots and an attachment bracket under the bench top such that you can pull it up and snap it into place, somewhat like your dining room table where the wings pull up when you need it wider.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:09:38 -0700 (PDT), Three Jeeps wrote:

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.

Can you cannabalize an old barber chair?

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/20 11:46 AM, croy wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:09:38 -0700 (PDT), Three Jeeps wrote:

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.

Can you cannabalize an old barber chair?

Now that....................is creative thinking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2020 9:00 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 10/15/2020 6:09 PM, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep).Â* Basic 2x4
framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4
shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk,
from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy
expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers
appreciated.
TIA
john

https://www.google.com/search?client...le+work+benmch

If those solutions are no help, how about 4 wheels, 4 channel iron
ramps, and a pry bar or block and tackle to roll it up the ramps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep).Â* Basic 2x4
framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, +
3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk,
from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but
crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers
appreciated.

Can you cannabalize an old barber chair?

Â*Â*Â* Now that....................is creative thinking.

Which led to this:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_kw=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_mPrRngCbx= 1&_nkw=exhaust+jack&_sacat=&_sadis=&_sop=12&_udhi= &_udlo=&_fosrp=1

They're just inflatable air bags.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F used his or her keyboard to write :
On 10/17/2020 9:00 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 10/15/2020 6:09 PM, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep).* Basic 2x4 framing
and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves
above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from
say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy
expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers
appreciated.
TIA
john

https://www.google.com/search?client...le+work+benmch

If those solutions are no help, how about 4 wheels, 4 channel iron ramps, and
a pry bar or block and tackle to roll it up the ramps.

He could use a platform which slides under when not in use like a
trundel bed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4
framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, +
3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk,
from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but
crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers
appreciated.

Can you cannabalize an old barber chair?

Now that....................is creative thinking.

First you have to cannibalize the old barber... I haven't seen a
barber close up in this century but I assume they're not doing too well
these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Particularly when the Grand is down pretty far when you are only a
few miles from the Elora Gorge - - Likely about 25 feet or more down
from where the fence ran.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of a redneck beer can crusher video I saw on youtube some years
back. It was pretty slick.

qualcast petrol mower rear wheel opposite height adjuster is not not maintaining height like other wheels John UK diy 1 February 11th 20 04:49 PM
ideas for adjustable height assembly/work bench kansascats Woodworking 10 August 31st 11 06:16 AM
work bench/ B&D Work mate Fred UK diy 8 April 13th 08 10:06 PM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 07:22 AM
dual height coffee table mechanism Chris Melluish UK diy 2 March 4th 04 10:16 AM