Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mechanism to change height of a work bench

On 10/16/20 7:19 AM, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 9:09:44 PM UTC-4, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

Do you need the whole 5 feet by 30 inches raised, or would a smaller amount work?

You could build a sturdy box, 8 inches high and two feet square, With corner posts that extend into index holes on your current bench. Set it on top when you need the height, toss it under the bench when you don't.

That would be much simpler than any ideas I had. What about a
hinged, flip down shelf, with legs on the outside edge?