Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default mechanism to change height of a work bench

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 11:43:45 AM UTC-4, Three Jeeps wrote:
On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 9:09:44 PM UTC-4, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

as a follow-up
Thanks for all the replies!!! am very appreciative. Given the location and setting of the workbench, any lifting mechanism from the top wont work. Neither will separating the bench into smaller parts. The bench is in the shape of a 'L' with one side being a 'set aside' area' and is basically free standing and not intended to move up/down.

Hard to say how often it would be moved up/dn...lets put it this way, if there was an easy mechanism to do it, it would be moved often. Working on some things like a stereo receiver, I prefer higher. Working on developing something on a small computer, I prefer lower, like a desk. It all sorta depends on what is being worked on and how I feel I can best approach it.

So, you don't really need 5 feet of high desk, you really need enough to work on one project, and while working on a project like that it might even be more convenient to have a lower space to set tools and parts on.

Since you need about 8 inches of height, the simplest solution is still the box. On a box you can pound or drill. The second simplest solution, if you won't have to apply force, is a set of sturdy brackets on the wall or mounted onto the back of the bench into which you occasionally insert a shelf.. If you need strength you just put hinged legs on the front of it.

The elegant solution is to dedicate a space on the bench and separate it. Draw a rectangle about 24 inches wide and 19 deep, and cut that piece out of your bench. Put legs on it on pivots and an attachment bracket under the bench top such that you can pull it up and snap it into place, somewhat like your dining room table where the wings pull up when you need it wider.