Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default mechanism to change height of a work bench

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Oct 2020 20:49:43 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 05:35:07 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 10/16/20 10:54 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:09:38 -0700 (PDT), Three Jeeps
wrote:

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john
Look at how your lawn mower adjusts hight - Preferably a single point
adjuster. Get a handle off an old trail plow, with the hand lever and
sector to give you fixed intervals.
Or get 4 jack screws,with pulleys, and some wire rope and a crank
handle.

Wow, you're old. I knew what you meant but had to look it up
out of curiosity. A good share of the results were blades for ATVs or
pickups.
Dad's was a two bottom that he pulled with his Farmall M. He
eventually bought a three bottom that used a hydraulic cylinder
to lift.

I ploughed with a 3 bottom behind 1949 MH 44. Same as my Dad did
about 10 years earlier - when he hit a rock that unhitched the plow
just as he grabbed the lever to lift the plow. He caught up to the
tractor and hit the clutch just before it went through the fence into
the Grand River.

Hey, good for him. I don't approve of polluting waterways.

And tractors are expensive.