View Single Post
  #11   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default mechanism to change height of a work bench

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 9:09:44 PM UTC-4, Three Jeeps wrote:
I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

as a follow-up
Thanks for all the replies!!! am very appreciative. Given the location and setting of the workbench, any lifting mechanism from the top wont work. Neither will separating the bench into smaller parts. The bench is in the shape of a 'L' with one side being a 'set aside' area' and is basically free standing and not intended to move up/down.

Hard to say how often it would be moved up/dn...lets put it this way, if there was an easy mechanism to do it, it would be moved often. Working on some things like a stereo receiver, I prefer higher. Working on developing something on a small computer, I prefer lower, like a desk. It all sorta depends on what is being worked on and how I feel I can best approach it.

The idea by rbowman seems to fit the bill nicely and yea, a little pricey but.....my desk is a little larger than what that can support. I'll have to look for something similar that will be a better size fit, but also capable of lifting 150-250 lbs - which is what it will be once I get all my electronic gear on it or make other arrangements for the gear and have a lighter bench.
Still open to other options....
Thanks again
J