Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default mechanism to change height of a work bench

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 18:09:38 -0700 (PDT), Three Jeeps
wrote:

I built a work bench years ago (~5' wide, 30" deep). Basic 2x4 framing and 3/4" plywood desk top with ESD shelf on top of that, + 3-4 shelves above desktop for equipment location.
One thing I wanted was a mechanism to raise/lower the entire desk, from say 28" to maybe 36".
I looked at some hydraulic mechanisms that would do the job, but crazy expensive.
Any one have pointers to more cost effective resources? Pointers appreciated.
TIA
john

Look at how your lawn mower adjusts hight - Preferably a single point
adjuster. Get a handle off an old trail plow, with the hand lever and
sector to give you fixed intervals.
Or get 4 jack screws,with pulleys, and some wire rope and a crank
handle.