Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat pump SEER rating

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 16:24:14 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 12:42:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 07:42:10 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 8:57:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:57:15 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 1:39:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 23:28:59 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article op.z927scfkwdg98l@glass, says...

The USA has snowy parts does it not? Have they not realised you can reverse those AC units?

I have a heat pump. It does the heating and cooling.

I live about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the US. We do not
usually have very many days where it gets below 15 deg F.

Heat pumps loose efficency below about 25 deg F. Around 15 deg F they
are really poor and probably cost as much as resistive electrical heat
to run. They usually have electrical heating elements in the inside
duct work to help when it is very cold.

That is the reason that most of the Norther states where it gets to near
zero F and lower the heat pumps are not used . It is usually more
efficent and less expensive to use other forms of heat.

I have never checked the price but I would think there should not be
much difference in a heat pump and plain air condition. I would install
the heat pump and another form of heat.

There are some units called a gas pack. They have natural gas for the
heat and electric for the AC.

The flip side of that is down here around the 26th parallel and below
heat pumps don't make that much sense economically because we seldom
actually turn on the heat and when we do it is typically a small space
heater, not heating up the whole house. The 30-40 hours a year or less
that my wife has a 1440w heater going would not justify paying the
extra money for a heat pump and she only heats a small space, not the
whole house. The heat pump draws more than 1440w.

But for the 1440W with the heat pump you'd get 4x, 5x the heat that
you get from an electric resistance heater. You could heat all or most
of the place, instead of one room.

The problem is the central air system draws twice that and why bother
heating rooms we are not in?

Because the heat pump has a COP of 4+? You can heat 4 rooms for
the same electric that it costs to heat your 1 room with a resistance
heater. You can block off
a few rooms, heat 4 rooms or more for the same cost. I would think
that would be an advantage for most people.

The problem is the condenser draws more current than the space heater
so it is still going to be more money to heat rooms we are not using

Why would that be? With a COP of 4, you get 4 times the heat out of
the heat pump as you do with the electric space heater. That would mean
you could heat about 4 rooms for the same price as one.

and she won't get that blast of warm air she wants.

That's true. How about an electric radiant heater. They direct the
heat to whatever is right in front of them, without heating the whole
room.

This 1440w heater is part of the electric fireplace built in here. It
blows out right on her feet and we don't attempt to heat the whole
room. She just has it on for a little while in the morning watching
Jenna and Hoda. Even then it is probably only 20 days a year.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/cabinet%202016.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 01:44:58 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z923rjgzwdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 01:51:55 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z91bl0zuwdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:46:29 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z9096aqdwdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:02:23 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
On 21/10/2019 20:54, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has
law
stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic and
they're all 7 to 11!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season...ficiency_ratio

Which suggests that the seasonal weighting parameters used in the US
,
Europe and possibly UK are all different which will give very
different
figures.

Yeah, that's why I included that link. Managed to forget to
point that out and then forgot to do it again when he asked
why I had included that. Worst ****up for quite a while now.

Must be your age.

Nope, time of day. That was the middle of the night for me.

Your sleep patterns are as bad as mine.

Worse actually, much more variable. But in my case its because
I don't even lie in bed trying to sleep, I get up, do what I usually
do and then go back to bed later and go to sleep immediately.

Bit tricky for the people I know tho, very hard to predict
when I will be up.

I'm worse. I can be too sleepy to continue what I'm doing, but when I go
to bed I lie there for up to 2 hours before I can sleep.

I never get that, go to sleep very quickly
indeed, in minute or two, quite literally.

So you can sleep immediately if you're tired, but that time may not be a convenient time of day if you were a 9 to 5 worker? What about having to be at the boot sales at a certain time? Or ending up sleeping during most of the daylight hours?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0awg32pfwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

Not just when I am tired, also quite a bit of the time
if I know that I wont be able to sleep at the normal time
too, say because I plan to leave home at midnight so
that I will arrive at the destination when I need to do that.

I have in fact done that when I helped to kids I taught to
drive to move to the state capital. We were planning to
have them drive on that first long distance drive for them
with me being in their car so I would drive if they decided
that they had had enough. Its an 8 hour drive. But since
those buggers change their minds at the last minute, they
decided that they were going that night at about 5pm
the evening before. So I went to bed then so that I would
get enough sleep. We needed to arrive at the state capital
at 7am to catch the only train back that day,. I would normally
fly but since they were paying, chose to use the train for the
much cheaper train fare.

He's a very poor sleeper, like you, and hadn't slept much
at all the night before or that day, so wasn't keen on
driving at all with the sort of driving he had never
done before, so I did in fact drive the whole way.

And then we arrived very late, just before the
train was due to leave, I pulled up at the traffic
lights outside the station, told them that I was
off, jumped out of the car quite literally stopped
in traffic at the lights, with them never having
ever driven in the capital city traffic at all.

He was a bit stunned but managed fine,
That part of sydney cbd is a real traffic
nightmare and they had to go over the
bridge to get to where they were going to.

He managed fine and drove back into the
city that evening after I had missed the train
and had to wait for the next train next morning.

but that time may not be a convenient time of day if you were a 9 to 5
worker?

I hardly ever was. Normally I could work any hours I liked.

What about having to be at the boot sales at a certain time?

I'm always up by then.

Or ending up sleeping during most of the daylight hours?

I can do that too. The only thing I can't do is sleep a lot more
hours than I need to sleep,

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 07:56:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH 130 !!! lines of troll****

....and much better air in here, again!

--
TYPICAL retarded "conversation" between sociopath Rodent and sociopath
Birdbrain from August 26th 2018:

Birdbrain: "I have one head but 5 fingers."

Senile Rodent: "Obvious lie. You hairy legged cross dressers are so inbred
that you all have two heads."

Birdbrain: "You're the one that likes hairy legs remember?"

Senile Rodent: "The problem isnt the hairy legs, it's the gross inbreeding
that
produces two headed unemployables like you."

Birdbrain: "So why did you mention hairy legs?"

Senile Rodent: "Because that's what those who arent actually stupid enough
to shave their legs have."

Birdbrain: "You only have hairy legs if both of the following are true:
1) You're quite far back on the evolutionary scale.
2) You haven't learned what a razor is for."

Senile Rodent: "Only a terminal ****wit or a woman shaves their legs."

Birdbrain: "There is literally zero point in having hair all over your
body."

Senile Rodent: "There is even less point in wasting your time changing what
you are born with."
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 01:57:26 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z923x3v2wdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 01:57:19 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z91bouj3wdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:47:45 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 21 Oct 2019 21:59:03 +0100, Robert
wrote:

On 21/10/2019 20:54, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has a
law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic
and
they're all 7 to 11!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season...ficiency_ratio
Which suggests that the seasonal weighting parameters used in the US
,
Europe and possibly UK are all different which will give very
different
figures.

So if he compared the EERs, he'd get a fair comparison between those
sold in the US and UK?

Does the US have a regulation on minimum EER?

Presumably you mean the UK. No they don't.

Presumably because we don't use AC much.

Yeah, likely.

Once they take over for heating, we'll no doubt get something.

In the EU anyway. Less clear with the UK. The UK
isnt so keen on mandated minimum efficiencys.
Most obviously with the stupid EU mandate with
vacuum cleaners.

Not sure when that came into effect, but I know someone with a 2kW vacuum
cleaner that she bought only about 5 years ago.

It was well after that.

You could always get this, are they getting around it by calling it industrial? Rather like people still get incandescant bulbs by buying "rough service" bulbs:
https://www.directvacuums.co.uk/vipe...m-cleaner.html

Why on earth would you limit something that uses about 0.0000001% of the
world's electricity?

And when its so variable time of day wise so it
doesn't even affect the peak power demand.

Lie I said barking mad.

It's all that weird food they eat on the continent.

It's as daft as hosepipe bans.

That's not quite so bad given that a surprising
percentage of household water usage is to
water stupid lawns and gardens.

But household water usage is 5%, 95% is industrial. Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

A few towns of ours are currently having
to have their entire water supply brought
in in ****ing great tanker trucks. Makes no
sense to be tipping that on the ground.

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered. Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

It's not often we run low on water in the UK,

Sure, but it does happen at times even
tho the place is usually very soggy.

but when we do, they ban hosepipes, despite domestic water use being only
5%, the rest is commercial.

That's not actually true with non industrial towns.

Irrelevant, water is transmitted long distances through pipes.

I just use one anyway then say I didn't know about the ban (which I
usually don't until someone tells me as I don't read newspapers).

Doesn't work here, we have street signs about the bans.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

Or just fill a watering can with a hosepipe the use that. I ****ed off a
neighbour once by walking around the garden using a watering can with the
hose in it refilling it. She said "you're flouting the law!"

She's right and that's why she poisoned the cats.

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0a1505gnwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Gotta cite for that ? Cant find that with a quick look.

Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

Don't believe its that low.

A few towns of ours are currently having
to have their entire water supply brought
in in ****ing great tanker trucks. Makes no
sense to be tipping that on the ground.

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered.

Doesn't matter what you expect. You don't get to decide policy.

Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

The problem isnt the number of dams.
Building more dams wouldn't fix the
problem when there isnt enough rain
and would increase the cost of water.

It's not often we run low on water in the UK,

Sure, but it does happen at times even
tho the place is usually very soggy.

but when we do, they ban hosepipes, despite domestic water use being
only 5%, the rest is commercial.

That's not actually true with non industrial towns.

Irrelevant,

Nope.

water is transmitted long distances through pipes.

There are few industrial towns left anymore in the UK.

I just use one anyway then say I didn't know about the ban (which I
usually don't until someone tells me as I don't read newspapers).

Doesn't work here, we have street signs about the bans.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

There arent enough to havent to matter. Presumably
those who havent will get told by their neighbours if
they try watering their lawns when that usually soggy
little island doesn't have a big surplus of water.

Or just fill a watering can with a hosepipe the use that. I ****ed off
neighbour once by walking around the garden using a watering can with
the hose in it refilling it. She said "you're flouting the law!"

She's right and that's why she poisoned the cats.

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?

She poisoned your cats when you ****ed her off.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 08:51:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH 155 !!! lines of the usual sick ****

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/...Figure_8.3.pdf

Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

Don't believe its that low.

A few towns of ours are currently having
to have their entire water supply brought
in in ****ing great tanker trucks. Makes no
sense to be tipping that on the ground.

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered.

Doesn't matter what you expect. You don't get to decide policy.

If I pay for something, I want to get it, or I stop paying for it.

Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

The problem isnt the number of dams.
Building more dams wouldn't fix the
problem when there isnt enough rain
and would increase the cost of water.

Double the dams, double the amount of water caught before it just flows into the sea unused.

It's not often we run low on water in the UK,

Sure, but it does happen at times even
tho the place is usually very soggy.

but when we do, they ban hosepipes, despite domestic water use being
only 5%, the rest is commercial.

That's not actually true with non industrial towns.

Irrelevant,

Nope.

water is transmitted long distances through pipes.

There are few industrial towns left anymore in the UK.

There is industry somewhere, using that 95%, as per the link earlier.

I just use one anyway then say I didn't know about the ban (which I
usually don't until someone tells me as I don't read newspapers).

Doesn't work here, we have street signs about the bans.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

There arent enough to havent to matter. Presumably
those who havent will get told by their neighbours if
they try watering their lawns when that usually soggy
little island doesn't have a big surplus of water.

Like I listen to my nosy neighbours.

Or just fill a watering can with a hosepipe the use that. I ****ed off
neighbour once by walking around the garden using a watering can with
the hose in it refilling it. She said "you're flouting the law!"

She's right and that's why she poisoned the cats.

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?

She poisoned your cats when you ****ed her off.

I have no evidence that anyone has ever poisoned any of my cats. A couple went missing, one was run over, but none have ever been poisoned.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0bdcaezywdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

That doesn't say that about the UK and nothing like
that about industrial either.

Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

Don't believe its that low.

A few towns of ours are currently having
to have their entire water supply brought
in in ****ing great tanker trucks. Makes no
sense to be tipping that on the ground.

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered.

Doesn't matter what you expect. You don't get to decide policy.

If I pay for something, I want to get it, or I stop paying for it.

Water doesn't work like that in a drought and those who
have metered water do stop paying for what they arent
allowed to use when there are water restrictions.

Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

The problem isnt the number of dams.
Building more dams wouldn't fix the
problem when there isnt enough rain
and would increase the cost of water.

Double the dams, double the amount of water caught before it just flows
into the sea unused.

Doesn't work like that either because you lose so
much of the water by evaporation and seepage.

It's not often we run low on water in the UK,

Sure, but it does happen at times even
tho the place is usually very soggy.

but when we do, they ban hosepipes, despite domestic water use being
only 5%, the rest is commercial.

That's not actually true with non industrial towns.

Irrelevant,

Nope.

water is transmitted long distances through pipes.

There are few industrial towns left anymore in the UK.

There is industry somewhere, using that 95%, as per the link earlier.

That link says nothing of the sort about the UK.

I just use one anyway then say I didn't know about the ban (which I
usually don't until someone tells me as I don't read newspapers).

Doesn't work here, we have street signs about the bans.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

There arent enough to havent to matter. Presumably
those who havent will get told by their neighbours if
they try watering their lawns when that usually soggy
little island doesn't have a big surplus of water.

Like I listen to my nosy neighbours.

You cant plead ignorance when they tell you.

Or just fill a watering can with a hosepipe the use that. I ****ed
off
a neighbour once by walking around the garden using a watering can
with the hose in it refilling it. She said "you're flouting the law!"

She's right and that's why she poisoned the cats.

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?

She poisoned your cats when you ****ed her off.

I have no evidence that anyone has ever poisoned any of my cats.

That's because you are so stupid, drugged and ****ed to even notice.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Ralph Mowery wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Water doesn't work like that in a drought and those
who have metered water do stop paying for what they
arent allowed to use when there are water restrictions.

A number of years ago the local power company wanted everyone
to cut back on power usage during a heat wave. They did.

A few months later they wanted to raise the price
because people were not using enough power.

Sure but water and droughts are different. The
end users return to their normal water use once
the water restrictions are lifted and so there is
no need to increase the cost of the water.

In fact those with drought killed lawns would
normally use rather more water, just later.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:24:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That doesn't say that about the UK

The UK? NONE of yours, senile Ozzie pest!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 12:41:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

A few months later they wanted to raise the price
because people were not using enough power.

Sure but water and droughts are different.

Yeah, senile idiot, KEEP teaching those dumb Brits how things REALLY are in
the UK! Who but a clinically insane asshole from Australia could do so!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The green parts of the graph are domestic. I'd say the UK was either middle income or maybe upper middle. Both have about 5% domestic use.

and nothing like that about industrial either.

I'd call agricultural "industrial" - it's a business, not a home.

Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

Don't believe its that low.

A few towns of ours are currently having
to have their entire water supply brought
in in ****ing great tanker trucks. Makes no
sense to be tipping that on the ground.

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered.

Doesn't matter what you expect. You don't get to decide policy.

If I pay for something, I want to get it, or I stop paying for it.

Water doesn't work like that in a drought and those who
have metered water do stop paying for what they arent
allowed to use when there are water restrictions.

I expect to get the service I pay for. When my internet breaks, I get a refund.

Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

The problem isnt the number of dams.
Building more dams wouldn't fix the
problem when there isnt enough rain
and would increase the cost of water.

Double the dams, double the amount of water caught before it just flows
into the sea unused.

Doesn't work like that either because you lose so
much of the water by evaporation and seepage.

If you have twice the dams, you clearly have twice the water available. If you lose 15%, so what? You still have double left.

I just use one anyway then say I didn't know about the ban (which I
usually don't until someone tells me as I don't read newspapers).

Doesn't work here, we have street signs about the bans.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

There arent enough to havent to matter. Presumably
those who havent will get told by their neighbours if
they try watering their lawns when that usually soggy
little island doesn't have a big surplus of water.

Like I listen to my nosy neighbours.

You cant plead ignorance when they tell you.

Unless they record the conversation, I certainly can.

Or just fill a watering can with a hosepipe the use that. I ****ed
off
a neighbour once by walking around the garden using a watering can
with the hose in it refilling it. She said "you're flouting the law!"

She's right and that's why she poisoned the cats.

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?

She poisoned your cats when you ****ed her off.

I have no evidence that anyone has ever poisoned any of my cats.

That's because you are so stupid, drugged and ****ed to even notice.

I think I'd notice a poisoned cat, it looks entirely different to a run over cat.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0be093r1wdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Yes.

I'd say the UK was either middle income or maybe upper middle.

You should be using europe and even that's not
appropriate because the UK is much more soggy
and much less industrial than much of europe and
nothing like central asia water use wise. That bar
is useless for the breakdown in the UK.

And your original industrial is just plain wrong.

Both have about 5% domestic use.

The europe bar is nothing like that and I don't
believe that the agricultural water use in the
UK is anything like the europe bar either.

That chart is completely useless for water use in the UK.

and nothing like that about industrial either.

I'd call agricultural "industrial" -

You'd be wrong about that.

it's a business, not a home.

Much of it isnt business at all, particularly with
the horse paddocks etc for the stinking rich kids
and the water for the horses and hosing away
the horse **** etc. Its actually part of the house.

Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

Don't believe its that low.

A few towns of ours are currently having
to have their entire water supply brought
in in ****ing great tanker trucks. Makes no
sense to be tipping that on the ground.

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered.

Doesn't matter what you expect. You don't get to decide policy.

If I pay for something, I want to get it, or I stop paying for it.

Water doesn't work like that in a drought and those who
have metered water do stop paying for what they arent
allowed to use when there are water restrictions.

I expect to get the service I pay for.

Doesn't matter what you expect, you get what you
are given services wise and have to pay for that.

When my internet breaks, I get a refund.

Water supply doesn't work like that, for a reason.

Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

The problem isnt the number of dams.
Building more dams wouldn't fix the
problem when there isnt enough rain
and would increase the cost of water.

Double the dams, double the amount of water caught before it just flows
into the sea unused.

Doesn't work like that either because you lose so
much of the water by evaporation and seepage.

If you have twice the dams, you clearly have twice the water available.

No you don't in droughts because the water doesn't
stay there for the decades between droughts.

If you lose 15%, so what? You still have double left.

It doesn't work like that with droughts,

And you lot don't have enough places suitable for twice as
many dams anyway. You don't even have enough dams for
London alone and have to recycle it thru 20 sets of kidneys
already even when its pouring down like it has recently.

Your scheme is just as pathetically naïve as your
microwave 'designs' and how car cooling systems
should be done. Taxation in spades.

We've been doing dams for millennia now, its just
a tad unlikely that some unemployable spammer
will be able to do it any better now.

I just use one anyway then say I didn't know about the ban (which I
usually don't until someone tells me as I don't read newspapers).

Doesn't work here, we have street signs about the bans.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

There arent enough to havent to matter. Presumably
those who havent will get told by their neighbours if
they try watering their lawns when that usually soggy
little island doesn't have a big surplus of water.

Like I listen to my nosy neighbours.

You cant plead ignorance when they tell you.

Unless they record the conversation, I certainly can.

They don't have to prove anything, you'll be fined regardless.

Or just fill a watering can with a hosepipe the use that. I ****ed
off a neighbour once by walking around the garden using a watering
can with the hose in it refilling it. She said "you're flouting the
law!" She's right and that's why she poisoned the cats.

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?

She poisoned your cats when you ****ed her off.

I have no evidence that anyone has ever poisoned any of my cats.

That's because you are so stupid, drugged and ****ed to even notice.

I think I'd notice a poisoned cat, it looks entirely different to a run
over cat.

But when it is never seen again, how it looks is irrelevant, stupid.