Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mrdenial

Default 1/2 drywall fire rating and fire rating attic ladder

Hi All,

A buyer's home inspector pointed out that we needed to put drywall or
some type of metal skin over the attic ladder that is in the garage in
case of a fire. I'm trying to figure out what fire rating 1/2 drywall
has and how I can achieve that same rating with some type of
lightweight metal skin like aluminum.

The ladder is a werner 10 foot attic ladder. It currently has 1/4 or
3/8's plywood and after adding 1/2 drywall, the ladder sags. The
reason I'm leaning towards aluminum is because 1/2 inch drywall causes
the ladder to sag from weight.

Thanks,
Daniel

On 31 Jan 2005 21:11:02 -0800, someone wrote:

Get stronger or more springs. Lightweight skin of aluminum won't be
good, conducts heat too quickly.