Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Heat pump SEER rating

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0be093r1wdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 00:24:11 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0bdcaezywdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 21:51:35 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0a1505gnwdg98l@glass...
On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 01:57:26 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z923x3v2wdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 01:57:19 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z91bouj3wdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:47:45 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 21 Oct 2019 21:59:03 +0100, Robert
wrote:

On 21/10/2019 20:54, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA
has
law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at
Panasonic
and
they're all 7 to 11!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season...ficiency_ratio
Which suggests that the seasonal weighting parameters used in
the
US
,
Europe and possibly UK are all different which will give very
different
figures.

So if he compared the EERs, he'd get a fair comparison between
those
sold in the US and UK?

Does the US have a regulation on minimum EER?

Presumably you mean the UK. No they don't.

Presumably because we don't use AC much.

Yeah, likely.

Once they take over for heating, we'll no doubt get something.

In the EU anyway. Less clear with the UK. The UK
isnt so keen on mandated minimum efficiencys.
Most obviously with the stupid EU mandate with
vacuum cleaners.

Not sure when that came into effect, but I know someone with a 2kW
vacuum
cleaner that she bought only about 5 years ago.

It was well after that.

You could always get this, are they getting around it by calling it
industrial? Rather like people still get incandescant bulbs by buying
"rough service" bulbs:
https://www.directvacuums.co.uk/vipe...m-cleaner.html

Why on earth would you limit something that uses about 0.0000001% of
the
world's electricity?

And when its so variable time of day wise so it
doesn't even affect the peak power demand.

Lie I said barking mad.

It's all that weird food they eat on the continent.

It's as daft as hosepipe bans.

That's not quite so bad given that a surprising
percentage of household water usage is to
water stupid lawns and gardens.

But household water usage is 5%, 95% is industrial.

Gotta cite for that ? Cant find that with a quick look.

http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/...Figure_8.3.pdf

That doesn't say that about the UK

The green parts of the graph are domestic.

Yes.

I'd say the UK was either middle income or maybe upper middle.

You should be using europe and even that's not
appropriate because the UK is much more soggy
and much less industrial than much of europe and
nothing like central asia water use wise. That bar
is useless for the breakdown in the UK.

And your original industrial is just plain wrong.

Both have about 5% domestic use.

The europe bar is nothing like that and I don't
believe that the agricultural water use in the
UK is anything like the europe bar either.

That chart is completely useless for water use in the UK.

and nothing like that about industrial either.

I'd call agricultural "industrial" -

You'd be wrong about that.

it's a business, not a home.

Much of it isnt business at all, particularly with
the horse paddocks etc for the stinking rich kids
and the water for the horses and hosing away
the horse **** etc. Its actually part of the house.

Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

Don't believe its that low.

A few towns of ours are currently having
to have their entire water supply brought
in in ****ing great tanker trucks. Makes no
sense to be tipping that on the ground.

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered.

Doesn't matter what you expect. You don't get to decide policy.

If I pay for something, I want to get it, or I stop paying for it.

Water doesn't work like that in a drought and those who
have metered water do stop paying for what they arent
allowed to use when there are water restrictions.

I expect to get the service I pay for.

Doesn't matter what you expect, you get what you
are given services wise and have to pay for that.

When my internet breaks, I get a refund.

Water supply doesn't work like that, for a reason.

Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

The problem isnt the number of dams.
Building more dams wouldn't fix the
problem when there isnt enough rain
and would increase the cost of water.

Double the dams, double the amount of water caught before it just flows
into the sea unused.

Doesn't work like that either because you lose so
much of the water by evaporation and seepage.

If you have twice the dams, you clearly have twice the water available.

No you don't in droughts because the water doesn't
stay there for the decades between droughts.

If you lose 15%, so what? You still have double left.

It doesn't work like that with droughts,

And you lot don't have enough places suitable for twice as
many dams anyway. You don't even have enough dams for
London alone and have to recycle it thru 20 sets of kidneys
already even when its pouring down like it has recently.

Your scheme is just as pathetically naïve as your
microwave 'designs' and how car cooling systems
should be done. Taxation in spades.

We've been doing dams for millennia now, its just
a tad unlikely that some unemployable spammer
will be able to do it any better now.

I just use one anyway then say I didn't know about the ban (which I
usually don't until someone tells me as I don't read newspapers).

Doesn't work here, we have street signs about the bans.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

There arent enough to havent to matter. Presumably
those who havent will get told by their neighbours if
they try watering their lawns when that usually soggy
little island doesn't have a big surplus of water.

Like I listen to my nosy neighbours.

You cant plead ignorance when they tell you.

Unless they record the conversation, I certainly can.

They don't have to prove anything, you'll be fined regardless.

Or just fill a watering can with a hosepipe the use that. I ****ed
off a neighbour once by walking around the garden using a watering
can with the hose in it refilling it. She said "you're flouting the
law!" She's right and that's why she poisoned the cats.

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?

She poisoned your cats when you ****ed her off.

I have no evidence that anyone has ever poisoned any of my cats.

That's because you are so stupid, drugged and ****ed to even notice.

I think I'd notice a poisoned cat, it looks entirely different to a run
over cat.

But when it is never seen again, how it looks is irrelevant, stupid.