Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Heat pump SEER rating

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 01:57:26 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z923x3v2wdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 01:57:19 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.z91bouj3wdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:47:45 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 21 Oct 2019 21:59:03 +0100, Robert
wrote:

On 21/10/2019 20:54, Rod Speed wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote
Why can't I find a heat pump with a good SEER rating? The USA has a
law stating 13 minimum. Yet here in the UK, I looked at Panasonic
and
they're all 7 to 11!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season...ficiency_ratio
Which suggests that the seasonal weighting parameters used in the US
,
Europe and possibly UK are all different which will give very
different
figures.

So if he compared the EERs, he'd get a fair comparison between those
sold in the US and UK?

Does the US have a regulation on minimum EER?

Presumably you mean the UK. No they don't.

Presumably because we don't use AC much.

Yeah, likely.

Once they take over for heating, we'll no doubt get something.

In the EU anyway. Less clear with the UK. The UK
isnt so keen on mandated minimum efficiencys.
Most obviously with the stupid EU mandate with
vacuum cleaners.

Not sure when that came into effect, but I know someone with a 2kW vacuum
cleaner that she bought only about 5 years ago.

It was well after that.

You could always get this, are they getting around it by calling it industrial? Rather like people still get incandescant bulbs by buying "rough service" bulbs:
https://www.directvacuums.co.uk/vipe...m-cleaner.html

Why on earth would you limit something that uses about 0.0000001% of the
world's electricity?

And when its so variable time of day wise so it
doesn't even affect the peak power demand.

Lie I said barking mad.

It's all that weird food they eat on the continent.

It's as daft as hosepipe bans.

That's not quite so bad given that a surprising
percentage of household water usage is to
water stupid lawns and gardens.

But household water usage is 5%, 95% is industrial. Why bother to save a small part of the 5%?

A few towns of ours are currently having
to have their entire water supply brought
in in ****ing great tanker trucks. Makes no
sense to be tipping that on the ground.

I pay for my water, I expect it to be delivered. Any shortages are the problem of the supplier. Build more dams ffs.

It's not often we run low on water in the UK,

Sure, but it does happen at times even
tho the place is usually very soggy.

but when we do, they ban hosepipes, despite domestic water use being only
5%, the rest is commercial.

That's not actually true with non industrial towns.

Irrelevant, water is transmitted long distances through pipes.

I just use one anyway then say I didn't know about the ban (which I
usually don't until someone tells me as I don't read newspapers).

Doesn't work here, we have street signs about the bans.

And if you haven't left your house that week?

Or just fill a watering can with a hosepipe the use that. I ****ed off a
neighbour once by walking around the garden using a watering can with the
hose in it refilling it. She said "you're flouting the law!"

She's right and that's why she poisoned the cats.

She's a moron and who poisoned what cats?