Posted to alt.home.repair

Default doing things right

Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Amazon is raising Prime by $20
creating a profit of two billion dollars.Â* I don't have Prime but can
usually finagle free shipping if I don't mind waiting a couple extra
days.Â* I guess if you did not know the time until you got your new clock
that the service was valuable to you

There was an article recently that if you use all the benefits you can
get $700 a year in value. We use the video and streaming music and take
advantage of some discounts. I probably come out at least a little ahead.

Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.

Or whoever you cable provider is. They all suck, just to different
degrees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2018 3:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Amazon is raising Prime by $20 creating a profit of two billion
dollars.Â* I don't have Prime but can usually finagle free shipping if
I don't mind waiting a couple extra days.Â* I guess if you did not know
the time until you got your new clock that the service was valuable to
you

There was an article recently that if you use all the benefits you can
get $700 a year in value.Â* We use the video and streaming music and take
advantage of some discounts.Â* I probably come out at least a little ahead.

Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.

Or whoever you cable provider is.Â* They all suck, just to different
degrees.

My wife would not tolerate what my neighbor across the street does in
switching between Comcast and FIOS every couple of years when initial
offer is over and price goes up.

They are all annoying. I compare it to buying a car where they tell you
what the first year's monthly payment will be but not what subsequent
years will be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 4:16:21 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

Depends on what their actual cost for Sunday delivery is. It's the
USPS and Amazon probably has a good deal that doesn't cost them very
much extra. And it's a great feature that many customers probably appreciate
and it wins them business. It impressed DaddiOH. I would certainly
appreciate it if it was something I needed quickly and it would make
me think of Amazon for next time too. Heck, I'm thinking about Amazon,
right now. See, it's working

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wade Garrett" wrote in message
news
On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does
all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics
of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend the
extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next day, a
Sunday even...

What makes you think it cost them extra money? If the procedure is in place
there is no reason it can't be normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 16:16:17 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

As a recent - late-to-the-show - user of Amazon - grey-haired
fogey - the few things that I've ordered were delivered on time ;
in proper condition ; and met my expectations.
Price point was very good - and was the reason I went Amazon.
I paid zero shipping - not Prime - but the orders just met the free
shipping amount. it would have made a difference
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2018 02:16 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does
all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the
characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

It's a working business model... It beats the "your stuff will get
there sometime next week, maybe, good lord willing and the creek don't
rise and it will only cost you $10.95 for shipping and handling."

I've been a Prime member for a number of years. You don't have to do
much online business with other vendors and their S&H charges until
Prime has paid for itself. Dependable delivery, free Kindle books,
music, and streaming video is just icing on the cake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 16:16:17 -0400, Wade Garrett

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

Evidently a very successful one. The promise two day delivery and give it.

Now you mention why on Sunday. Just take a good look around you.
Unlike growing up, Sunday is no longer a special day. Used to be,
Sunday is when many went to church, we went to visit relatives, dinner
at grand mom's and so forth. Now, Sunday is just another day. It is
the busiest day at the supermarket and just another work day for those
in retail.

While I agree with you, most people don't and want what they ordered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

They are all annoying.Â* I compare it to buying a car where they tell you
what the first year's monthly payment will be but not what subsequent
years will be.

Don't forget dealer fees. What a scam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Amazon is raising Prime by $20 creating a profit of two billion
dollars.Â* I don't have Prime but can usually finagle free shipping
if I don't mind waiting a couple extra days.Â* I guess if you did not
know the time until you got your new clock that the service was
valuable to you

There was an article recently that if you use all the benefits you
can get $700 a year in value.Â* We use the video and streaming music
and take advantage of some discounts.Â* I probably come out at least a
little ahead.

Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.

Or whoever you cable provider is.Â* They all suck, just to different
degrees.

My wife would not tolerate what my neighbor across the street does in
switching between Comcast and FIOS every couple of years when initial
offer is over and price goes up.

They are all annoying.Â* I compare it to buying a car where they tell
you what the first year's monthly payment will be but not what
subsequent years will be.

Don't forget dealer fees. What a scam.

I have no problem buying cars since I separate the deal from the
financing and trade plus I deal with family and friends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.

BINGO on that. When one wants customer disservice just give them a ring.

Their motto is: We are not happy until you are not happy.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Amazon is raising Prime by $20
creating a profit of two billion dollars.* I don't have Prime but can
usually finagle free shipping if I don't mind waiting a couple extra
days.* I guess if you did not know the time until you got your new clock
that the service was valuable to you

There was an article recently that if you use all the benefits you can
get $700 a year in value. We use the video and streaming music and take
advantage of some discounts. I probably come out at least a little ahead..

Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.

Or whoever you cable provider is. They all suck, just to different
degrees.

Comcast has it down to such a fine art! They are the model...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Amazon is raising Prime by $20 creating a profit of two billion
dollars.* I don't have Prime but can usually finagle free shipping
if I don't mind waiting a couple extra days.* I guess if you did not
[...]

Ditto on that. Plus my dealer will email prices and details so I can examine
them at leisure. She will also do the paperwork for the credit union if I
want.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

Amazon is raising Prime by $20 creating a profit of two billion
dollars.* I don't have Prime but can usually finagle free shipping
if I don't mind waiting a couple extra days.* I guess if you did not
know the time until you got your new clock that the service was
valuable to you

There was an article recently that if you use all the benefits you
can get $700 a year in value.* We use the video and streaming music
and take advantage of some discounts.* I probably come out at least a
little ahead.

Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.

Or whoever you cable provider is.* They all suck, just to different
degrees.

We evidently have some new ATT fiber optics in our neighborhood.
With all of the "temporary multi-packaged deals" going around
between Comcast and them, it's difficult to compare! %-).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

On 6/3/2018 2:40 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

I have choice between Comcast and FIOS and actually have both in my
house since Verizon replaced copper in neighborhood with fiber a few
years ago. They needed my permission to do my two phones at the time
since they had to bury the cable in my lawn and come into my house with
the box. I put one phone on Comcast triple play but the FIOS phone
continues as if it were still a land line. I would remove it except I
have a long term business client that pays for it. Their backup battery
probably needs replacement as it beeps at me in the basement and I plan
to get rid of the phone when I quit consulting. Both Comcast and FIOS
are on fiber except Comcast splits to cables to a few houses. They both
throttle speeds and my download speed is probably just as fast.

FIOS constantly bugs me to take their service and I told them I would
accept their two year initial offer if they gave it for life. Answer is
always crickets. At my age, two years might be a lifetime offer, who
knows

FIOS installation here and the neighborhood was a real cluster-**** with
all underground services. I could tell stories and show pictures to the
ng about all the comedy it was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2018 1:41 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Frank posted for all of us...

Speaking or PITA companies, there is also Comcast.

BINGO on that. When one wants customer disservice just give them a ring.

Their motto is: We are not happy until you are not happy.

A neighbor's son is some sort of executive there at their Philly home
office. He does not live here and his mother died a couple of years ago
and his father is living with a daughter and is prepping the house for
sale. I ran into the son a few months ago and told him my complaints.
He gave me a card with "the" phone number to call and they were great.
Card said "single use" but the guy said I could call again anytime so I
did a week ago and could not get through. I hear dealing with FIOS is
just as frustrating and I think they still have the old telephone
company mentality of treating customers like they are the only game in town.

The thread originally addressed Amazon and we had a young neighbor
originally working at their warehouse here in DE as a temp but now
working full time at one of their offices in PA. He told me they
expected the bulk of their future profits would come from non-tangible
electronic assets like Prime. Another friend told me that BJ's
Wholesale Club says the same about their club membership.

I am glad the our favorite Uncle M gets a lot out his Prime account but
I know many folks that have many accounts and the account probably
profits most from their use like the gym memberships that are rarely used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Simple. Most carrier charge more for faster delivery and especially for
Sunday.

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Not if it is your own carrier. Which it was.

Nor with anyone else depending upon how you negotiated the terms of your
contract. Your thinking is kinda constricted here, Wade

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" "frank wrote in message
news
FIOS installation here and the neighborhood was a real cluster-**** with
all underground services. I could tell stories and show pictures to the
ng about all the comedy it was.

Anytime I hear about something like that I think of Hawaii's capital
building.

Wife and I lived there for decades and, for a while, she had to be downtown
at a building across from the construction site. She didn't drive at the
time so I took her and waited in the car while she did her bit of business.
While waiting, I watched the construction guys.

One in partiular. He and his backhoe were busy moving a large pile of dirt
from one place to another. When moved, he would move it back again to where
it was originally. He did this day after day, week after week, month after
month. Why in the world would he do this? Only thing I can think of is
because the contract was time + materials.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 7:27:48 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
When moved, he would move it back again to where
it was originally. He did this day after day, week after week, month after
month. Why in the world would he do this? Only thing I can think of is
because the contract was time + materials.

I observed the same thing. What it turned out to be was a different guy each time in training.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2018 7:27 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

This was not that kind of situation but what you describe sounds like a
government job.

County park was expanding a ball diamond with back-fill. Trunks were
coming in, dumping dirt in a pile, another truck came along, they filled
it with the dirt and he drove out and dumped it where fill was needed.
A friend asked the supervisor why they had to transfer the dirt to
another truck and just dump it where needed from the first truck.
Supervisor said the first truck was too big to do it but friend observed
that both trucks were the same size.

I sent a letter to our local rag about this boondoggle. Some people
were ****ed in the county. I got a threatening letter and my son who is
Jr. was getting irate phone calls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/18 5:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Even if you own the carrier, next-day delivery operations still cost
more that batching last-mile delivery every few days. Sunday costs more
too, if not now, then soon once you get big enough for the van drivers
to try to organize.

Contract carriers will still cost more for weekend/Sunday delivery too.
UPS, FedEx, DHL only have skeleton staffs on duty weekends and USPS on
Sunday. You could be the world's greatest negotiator but the carriers
won't give you a weekday price for Sunday delivery.

I've rarely bought from Amazon but the very last time I did, I happened
to be looking out a front window as a thuggish-looking Bozo in a
medium-sized white van with the Amazon logo on the door pulled up and
"parked" facing the wrong way in front of my house about 5-6 feet from
the curb.

Instead of coming up the walkway, he proceeded to trudge through my
wife's award-winning flower beds and decorative plantings, then straight
across my carefully-tended lawn to the base of the flight of stairs that
leads to my front door.

He then heaved a package containing a $650 precision electronic device
up the flight of stairs where it slammed against the brick wall before
thudding down onto to the concrete front door landing. I went outside
and called to him but he ignored me, got back in his van and sped off.

Email and phone complaints to Amazon got no response. Concerned about
concealed damage- and annoyed- I decided to not even open the shipping
carton and just returned seals-intact it on their dime for a full refund.

Any contract carrier driver who received a customer complaint like that
would get reprimanded or fired- though probably not a postal droid ;-)

--
Have you ever looked into the mirror and though....hell no, that cant
be right.