Posted to alt.home.repair

Default doing things right

Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 4:16:21 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

Depends on what their actual cost for Sunday delivery is. It's the
USPS and Amazon probably has a good deal that doesn't cost them very
much extra. And it's a great feature that many customers probably appreciate
and it wins them business. It impressed DaddiOH. I would certainly
appreciate it if it was something I needed quickly and it would make
me think of Amazon for next time too. Heck, I'm thinking about Amazon,
right now. See, it's working

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wade Garrett" wrote in message
news
On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does
all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics
of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend the
extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next day, a
Sunday even...

What makes you think it cost them extra money? If the procedure is in place
there is no reason it can't be normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Simple. Most carrier charge more for faster delivery and especially for
Sunday.

--
The fastest way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Not if it is your own carrier. Which it was.

Nor with anyone else depending upon how you negotiated the terms of your
contract. Your thinking is kinda constricted here, Wade

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/18 5:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Even if you own the carrier, next-day delivery operations still cost
more that batching last-mile delivery every few days. Sunday costs more
too, if not now, then soon once you get big enough for the van drivers
to try to organize.

Contract carriers will still cost more for weekend/Sunday delivery too.
UPS, FedEx, DHL only have skeleton staffs on duty weekends and USPS on
Sunday. You could be the world's greatest negotiator but the carriers
won't give you a weekday price for Sunday delivery.

I've rarely bought from Amazon but the very last time I did, I happened
to be looking out a front window as a thuggish-looking Bozo in a
medium-sized white van with the Amazon logo on the door pulled up and
"parked" facing the wrong way in front of my house about 5-6 feet from
the curb.

Instead of coming up the walkway, he proceeded to trudge through my
wife's award-winning flower beds and decorative plantings, then straight
across my carefully-tended lawn to the base of the flight of stairs that
leads to my front door.

He then heaved a package containing a $650 precision electronic device
up the flight of stairs where it slammed against the brick wall before
thudding down onto to the concrete front door landing. I went outside
and called to him but he ignored me, got back in his van and sped off.

Email and phone complaints to Amazon got no response. Concerned about
concealed damage- and annoyed- I decided to not even open the shipping
carton and just returned seals-intact it on their dime for a full refund.

Any contract carrier driver who received a customer complaint like that
would get reprimanded or fired- though probably not a postal droid ;-)

--
Have you ever looked into the mirror and though....hell no, that cant
be right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 16:16:17 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

As a recent - late-to-the-show - user of Amazon - grey-haired
fogey - the few things that I've ordered were delivered on time ;
in proper condition ; and met my expectations.
Price point was very good - and was the reason I went Amazon.
I paid zero shipping - not Prime - but the orders just met the free
shipping amount. it would have made a difference
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 16:16:17 -0400, Wade Garrett

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

Evidently a very successful one. The promise two day delivery and give it.

Now you mention why on Sunday. Just take a good look around you.
Unlike growing up, Sunday is no longer a special day. Used to be,
Sunday is when many went to church, we went to visit relatives, dinner
at grand mom's and so forth. Now, Sunday is just another day. It is
the busiest day at the supermarket and just another work day for those
in retail.

While I agree with you, most people don't and want what they ordered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2018 02:16 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 6/3/18 11:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Midmorning yesterday, I ordered a battery operated wall clock through
Amazon. It arrived TODAY, Sunday, at about 9:30 AM.

INCREDIBLE!! Amazon has their stuff down pat. Would that others, like
Microsoft, I'm thinking especially of their latest and greatest. Does
all
sorts of stuff people don't want; forced updates that people don't want.
Lots of stuff people don't wan't and can't stop All the
characteristics of
a virus.

Amazon says, do it better.

Microsoft says, screw them they'll do as we say because we know better.

One wonders about a business model that thinks it's good idea to spend
the extra money to deliver a wall clock to a retail customer the next
day, a Sunday even...

It's a working business model... It beats the "your stuff will get
there sometime next week, maybe, good lord willing and the creek don't
rise and it will only cost you $10.95 for shipping and handling."

I've been a Prime member for a number of years. You don't have to do
much online business with other vendors and their S&H charges until
Prime has paid for itself. Dependable delivery, free Kindle books,
music, and streaming video is just icing on the cake.