Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default doing things right

On 6/5/2018 7:27 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Frank" "frank wrote in message
news
FIOS installation here and the neighborhood was a real cluster-**** with
all underground services. I could tell stories and show pictures to the
ng about all the comedy it was.

Anytime I hear about something like that I think of Hawaii's capital
building.

Wife and I lived there for decades and, for a while, she had to be downtown
at a building across from the construction site. She didn't drive at the
time so I took her and waited in the car while she did her bit of business.
While waiting, I watched the construction guys.

One in partiular. He and his backhoe were busy moving a large pile of dirt
from one place to another. When moved, he would move it back again to where
it was originally. He did this day after day, week after week, month after
month. Why in the world would he do this? Only thing I can think of is
because the contract was time + materials.

This was not that kind of situation but what you describe sounds like a
government job.

County park was expanding a ball diamond with back-fill. Trunks were
coming in, dumping dirt in a pile, another truck came along, they filled
it with the dirt and he drove out and dumped it where fill was needed.
A friend asked the supervisor why they had to transfer the dirt to
another truck and just dump it where needed from the first truck.
Supervisor said the first truck was too big to do it but friend observed
that both trucks were the same size.

I sent a letter to our local rag about this boondoggle. Some people
were ****ed in the county. I got a threatening letter and my son who is
Jr. was getting irate phone calls.