Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GOP Rep Introduces National Concealed Carry Reciprocity On Day One of New Congress

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 14:03:49 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

I think the real estate license may be the best example if you were
going to have reciprocity. A real estate license says you understand
that state's real estate laws well enough to arrange contracts.
A CCW reciprocity would mean you understood the state law well enough
to know when using you gun was legal and that varies widely across
state lines. An excellent example would be the Maryland Virginia
border. A "good shoot" in Virginia will get you time in the big house
across the bridge.

Agree. But the issue is it up to the states to decide which state's
they will have reciprocity with or is it the federal govt right to
force it down their throats. Doug thinks it's a constitutional right.
If so, it's very strange that NRA or other gun rights groups haven't
brought a case demanding all states recognize any CCW from any other
state.

If Trump/Pence get two SCOTUS seats, who knows what will happen.
No matter what, I do think the education requirement is a reasonable
burden. I also understand there will be gun free zones and other
limitations. (hence the education part)
A good start would be some kind of federal law about transporting
unloaded firearms through blue states. If I am going to New Hampshire
where guns are legal, I am still subject to arrest in Maryland, New
York and New Jersey, just for having them, unloaded, cased and stored
in my luggage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 18:13:17 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

The NRA seems to be afraid to go all in on the 2nd amendment. Not sure
why unless they are afraid to loose, or if they win, there would not be
any need for them.

The NRA wants to pick battles they can win and there is still plenty
for them to do if the whole 2d amendment fight went away tomorrow.
It is not newsworthy but the NRA's main focus is civilian marksmanship
programs, competition, training and promoting shooting sports in
general. The media finds it convenient to lump the NRA (the education
organization) and the ILA (the legal organization) into one boogie
man. Most members would be very happy if more of our dues went into
hiring instructors and less into hiring lawyers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ralph Mowery:
The NRA seems to be afraid to go all in on the 2nd amendment.

Bunch of years ago I saw a tongue-in-cheek argument in favor of
legalizing "Personal Hand-Grenades"... Right up there with the bogus
Smith & Wesson commercial... Anybody else recall it? Links?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ralph Mowery:
have seldom seen anyone open carry that is not some kind of law. There
are a few , but not many that do.

Ask anyone that is in the know and they say open carry is about the
dumbist thing to do.

That would seem to support my suspicion that there is a
greater-than-average chance that the carrier is, perhaps, running a
quart low.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/08/2017 08:35 AM, Shadow wrote:
Good. Taking opiates for a temporary condition is nuts. I lost
two colleagues because of that. When you can prescribe for yourself,
the danger is multiplied. One died from a small kidney stone, and one
from a "bad back". Both were under 40.

That truly sucks. I am sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/08/2017 07:02 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Ralph Mowery:
have seldom seen anyone open carry that is not some kind of law. There
are a few , but not many that do.

Ask anyone that is in the know and they say open carry is about the
dumbist thing to do.

That would seem to support my suspicion that there is a
greater-than-average chance that the carrier is, perhaps, running a
quart low.

That's been my feeling. I don't need a 1911 on my hip to visit the library.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/09/2017 12:28 AM, T wrote:
And, what is all the hue and cry about illegal drugs
anyway? The legals ones that allopaths push (designer
opiates) are killing far more folks by multiple times
than all the illegal drugs combined!

-T

Sad but true!
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 14:13:49 -0700
rbowman wrote:

On 01/08/2017 12:30 PM, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:22:55 -0700
rbowman wrote:

On 01/08/2017 04:31 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 12:30:33 -0700
rbowman wrote:

I often carry in the back
country but even then I leave the gun in my pack until I'm clear
of the trail head to avoid making the granola crowd nervous.

That is pathetic and has ZERO educational value.

So educate me, troll.

No

Yeah, I forgot your specialty is one line copy'n'paste links from
Breitbart rather than intelligent discussion.

You are not savable.
Bet you enjoyed the Globes yesterday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per T:
They don't
need a test for pot to bust intoxicated drivers. Just
follow the guy and put his driving on your dash cam,
show it in court, and busted ...

This is totally tangential... but yesterday I heard a standup comedian
do a spiel on why drunk driving criteria based on the same blood alcohol
level for everybody are unfair.

Paraphrasing:

"I'm driving along and a cop pulls me over".

"Have you been drinking?"

"Well, I had five beers..."

"Please show me your driver's licence and registration."

"Oh... your name is Madigan!... You could have had 8. Have a nice day."
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 01/09/2017 03:24 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:

rbowman wrote:

I often carry in the back
country but even then I leave the gun in my pack until I'm clear
of the trail head to avoid making the granola crowd nervous.

That is pathetic and has ZERO educational value.

So educate me, troll.

No

Yeah, I forgot your specialty is one line copy'n'paste links from
Breitbart rather than intelligent discussion.

You are not savable.
Bet you enjoyed the Globes yesterday.

What ****ing globes? I'll save myself, thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:50:43 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per T:
They don't
need a test for pot to bust intoxicated drivers. Just
follow the guy and put his driving on your dash cam,
show it in court, and busted ...

This is totally tangential... but yesterday I heard a standup comedian
do a spiel on why drunk driving criteria based on the same blood alcohol
level for everybody are unfair.

I'd also point out that it's not as simple as just following someone
and busting them for intoxicated driving. That can be an important
part and might be sufficient, but a good attorney could turn it into
a careless driving charge, instead of DWI, because it hasn't been
proven that drugs or alcohol were involved. That's why field sobriety
tests, breathalyzer, blood tests are used and important.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

agree, there is no way to know. But Trump is promising conservatives
and there clearly is a conservative issue regarding state's rights,
limiting the power of the fed govt, in favor of state's having the
right to decide what their own state laws will be on concealed carry.

No matter what, I do think the education requirement is a reasonable
burden. I also understand there will be gun free zones and other
limitations. (hence the education part)
A good start would be some kind of federal law about transporting
unloaded firearms through blue states. If I am going to New Hampshire
where guns are legal, I am still subject to arrest in Maryland, New
York and New Jersey, just for having them, unloaded, cased and stored
in my luggage.

We'll see what happens. I agree, I feel sorry for some of the people
who get caught up in this. For example, there have been some poor
*******s that checked guns with the airline in TX, on their way to
Maine to go hunting. So, they are routed through JFK, their connecting
flight is cancelled because of weather and they are stuck there over
night. So, they retrieve their luggage, go off to a local hotel.
Next morning, they come back to the airline counter, tell them that
they want to check in their luggage which includes the guns, the
airline calls the cops and they are arrested. And NYC has a mandatory
sentence for illegal possession, which they are charged with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 07:33:41 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

We'll see what happens. I agree, I feel sorry for some of the people
who get caught up in this. For example, there have been some poor
*******s that checked guns with the airline in TX, on their way to
Maine to go hunting. So, they are routed through JFK, their connecting
flight is cancelled because of weather and they are stuck there over
night. So, they retrieve their luggage, go off to a local hotel.
Next morning, they come back to the airline counter, tell them that
they want to check in their luggage which includes the guns, the
airline calls the cops and they are arrested. And NYC has a mandatory
sentence for illegal possession, which they are charged with.

I was curious about that and it sounds like more was involved because
I have never been able to get my luggage on a delayed flight. The
airline gives you a little kit with a toothbrush, cheap T shirt, a
comb and sends you off to the hotel. (in first class). I guess coach
passengers just fight for a bench in the airport.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I had my luggage made available to me at London Heathrow. I was on
my way to Milan, but the connecting flight got cancelled. So, I
decided to stay in London for the night and asked them to give me
my luggage, which they did. IDK what the policy is, could vary
by airline and country. And in that case, there was a much later
flight to Milan, it's just I figured I'd take advantage of visiting
London for 24 hours. I flew out the next morning, and when I
was in the air was when the big London subway attack happened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 10:08:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

That would seem to support my suspicion that there is a
greater-than-average chance that the carrier is, perhaps, running a
quart low.

That's been my feeling. I don't need a 1911 on my hip to visit the library.

I don't think I need anything on my hip for the places I go, but I do
have something in my pocket every where it is legal for me. Look on it
as the spare tire. I have only need 2 in the last 15 years,but would
not have wanted to be with out them.

+1 I seldom carry. State law allows me open carry but in my opinion
that is a tell to the stink-eye that I'm armed. I prefer they would
find out the hard way. BANG. BANG mo-fo.

I don't conceal, but can have my weapon in plain view in my vehicle
for John Law to see it. Open site.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 01/07/2017 12:42 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per madadmin:
To my knowledge any place open carry is allowed there is no permit needed.
I actually prefer open carry to concealed.

Maybe it's different in the Western states where normal people carry
firearms in public.

But here in Southeastern Pennsylvania (about 23 miles West of
Philadelphia) I feel more at ease when people are carrying their weapons
out of sight - i.e. I am not aware of their presence.

When I see somebody with a Glock on their hip walking around in plain
sight and no badge, all I can think of is "Is this nut case going to
*do* something or is he harmless?".

Ignorance can be bliss - or, at least, freedom from anxiety...

I been around guns all my life and have had police and military
training. I prefer to see who's carrying and whether they may present a
threat or not. The Northeast has had issues since the 1800's at least.
Back in the Wild West days the murder rate in the West was considerably
less than any of the Western cities now and New York had a much HIGHER
rate back then than it does now. If I see somebody with a Glock on their
hip it just means they have different tastes than I do

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 01/07/2017 02:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/07/2017 10:42 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per madadmin:
To my knowledge any place open carry is allowed there is no permit
needed.
I actually prefer open carry to concealed.

Maybe it's different in the Western states where normal people carry
firearms in public.

But here in Southeastern Pennsylvania (about 23 miles West of
Philadelphia) I feel more at ease when people are carrying their weapons
out of sight - i.e. I am not aware of their presence.

When I see somebody with a Glock on their hip walking around in plain
sight and no badge, all I can think of is "Is this nut case going to
*do* something or is he harmless?".

Ignorance can be bliss - or, at least, freedom from anxiety...

I agree with you. If I see anyone openly carrying a firearm, cop or
civilian, they definitely get on my radar. I often carry in the back
country but even then I leave the gun in my pack until I'm clear of the
trail head to avoid making the granola crowd nervous. Even in that
setting if I meet someone who is armed I note both the firearm and which
is their strong hand.

I even do that in the movies. When I watch the Donnie Wahlberg character
in 'Blue Bloods' my brain says 'left handed'.

I try to maintain situational awareness at all times no matter if I see
any weapons or not. Just because you don't see one doesn't mean they're
not carrying one. I view open carry as a policy of honesty. A concealed
weapon traditionally has always been an implied intent to do harm. Plus,
if the **** hits the fan, a concealed weapon does tend to take a
fraction of a second longer to put into action and that fraction of a
second can easily mean life or death.

I wouldn't put too much stock in movies either........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That would seem to support my suspicion that there is a
greater-than-average chance that the carrier is, perhaps, running a
quart low.

That's been my feeling. I don't need a 1911 on my hip to visit the library.

I don't think I need anything on my hip for the places I go, but I do
have something in my pocket every where it is legal for me. Look on it
as the spare tire. I have only need 2 in the last 15 years,but would
not have wanted to be with out them.

+1 I seldom carry. State law allows me open carry but in my opinion
that is a tell to the stink-eye that I'm armed. I prefer they would
find out the hard way. BANG. BANG mo-fo.

I don't conceal, but can have my weapon in plain view in my vehicle
for John Law to see it. Open site.

I have a CCW and I never carry either. I moved away from the big city
so I wouldn't have to.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 01/09/2017 07:14 PM, madadmin wrote:
I try to maintain situational awareness at all times no matter if I see
any weapons or not. Just because you don't see one doesn't mean they're
not carrying one. I view open carry as a policy of honesty. A concealed
weapon traditionally has always been an implied intent to do harm. Plus,
if the **** hits the fan, a concealed weapon does tend to take a
fraction of a second longer to put into action and that fraction of a
second can easily mean life or death.

Several fractions, actually. The shot timer doesn't lie.

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2017 02:07, madadmin wrote:

I been around guns all my life and have had police and military training.

That sounds as if you, like me, are one of life's good guys! :-)

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:14:00 -0500
madadmin wrote:

[...]

the trail head to avoid making the granola crowd nervous. Even in
that setting if I meet someone who is armed I note both the firearm
and which is their strong hand.

I even do that in the movies. When I watch the Donnie Wahlberg
character in 'Blue Bloods' my brain says 'left handed'.

I try to maintain situational awareness at all times no matter if I
see any weapons or not. Just because you don't see one doesn't mean
they're not carrying one. I view open carry as a policy of honesty. A
concealed weapon traditionally has always been an implied intent to
do harm. Plus, if the **** hits the fan, a concealed weapon does tend
to take a fraction of a second longer to put into action and that
fraction of a second can easily mean life or death.

I wouldn't put too much stock in movies either........

Movies are what makes democrats experts.
Play a farm wife in a movie and you are now
qualified to to testify about women on the farm etc.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2017 11:39, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:07:01 -0500
madadmin wrote:

[...]

More utter rubbish! :-P

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

madadmin wrote:

[...]

Why do you claim to have a Browning Pistol then?
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

madadmin wrote:

[...]

I claimed that UK aircrew were (are? I'm not sure about what happens
nowadays) issued with a 9mm Browning pistol and taught how to use same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power

*YOU* claimed "I have had police and military training."

I very much doubt that that is true.

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

madadmin wrote:

[...]

You are not a current aircrew member nor were you ever.
You failed out of flight school as "a danger to himself
and others"

So why do you have a browning Pistol
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 10/01/2017 20:11, burfordTjustice is again wriggling on the hook!

madadmin wrote:

[...]

I am retired, as well you know. :-)

*YOU* claimed "I have had police and military training."

Why did you say that when it is blatantly untrue?

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On 10/01/2017 20:46, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 20:22:38 +0000
"David B." wrote:

[....]
I am retired, as well you know. :-)

*YOU* claimed "I have had police and military training."

Why did you say that when it is blatantly untrue?

So why do you have a browning Pistol

The reason for anyone to have a gun is to kill.

I'm surprised you didn't know that with you, supposedly, having "had
police and military training".

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair

On 01/10/2017 04:26 AM, David B. wrote:
On 10/01/2017 02:07, madadmin wrote:

I been around guns all my life and have had police and military training.

That sounds as if you, like me, are one of life's good guys! :-)

Actually my reputation is more along the lines of "He's a big asshole
but he helps people"

Somewhere in the archives of alt.2600 you'll see comments along those
lines about me......

Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

madadmin wrote:

[...]

because Burford is a pathological liar?

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 22:09:03 +0000
"David B." wrote:

On 10/01/2017 20:46, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 20:22:38 +0000
"David B." wrote:

[....]
I am retired, as well you know. :-)

*YOU* claimed "I have had police and military training."

Why did you say that when it is blatantly untrue?

So why do you have a browning Pistol

The reason for anyone to have a gun is to kill.

I'm surprised you didn't know that with you, supposedly, having "had
police and military training".

Who said that? Exactly where?
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

madadmin wrote:

[...]

Aw..the Asian/muslim Apologist puts his head up.
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

"David B." wrote:

On 10/01/2017 20:46, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 20:22:38 +0000
"David B." wrote:

[....]
I am retired, as well you know. :-)

*YOU* claimed "I have had police and military training."

Why did you say that when it is blatantly untrue?

So why do you have a browning Pistol

The reason for anyone to have a gun is to kill.

I'm surprised you didn't know that with you, supposedly, having "had
police and military training".

Who said that? Exactly where?

*YOU* did! --- Message-ID:

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."
Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal

madadmin wrote:

[...]

You might well be right about that!

Here's the relevant post ... Message-ID:

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."