Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- Concealed Carry Recommendations

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at
work recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you
have to draw on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate
your weapon. He thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

You really want to trust your life to a cheap handgun ? My suggestion is
for something reliable , whether it be a revolver lots of 'em out there for
not-too-expensive or a semi-auto . My daily-carry is a 2-shot .38 spl
derringer that fits nicely in a pocket . For those days when I feel the need
for more firepower it's a Ruger .45 semi . Both are reliable ... or I would
replace them with something that is .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

How will you carry?
The smaller .380 pistols can be very handy as long as they are reliable.
I like my PPK that has been cleaned up and smoothed.
Reliable and accurate. Not the lightest out there but it also doesn't
bite as bad when using hotter ammo. That is one of the catches with most
of the lightweight pistols.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:18:01 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

============

My advice is worth at least twice what you pay for it...

It is well to remember that if you are forced to draw/use
your weapon, it is highly likely the perp will be high on
adrenaline and/or drugs, and while one or more center of
mass hits with a 380, even with FMJs may prove fatal in a
few moments, you and/or your family may well sustain
considerable damage in those few moments, for example from a
knife attack.

While the 380, at least in the newer versions is compact,
light, and an easy carry, IMNSHO it has, at best, marginal
stopping performance, particularly with FMJ loads, and if
you carry with expanding hollow-points, be sure to fire a
box or two to verity reliability. I would suggest double
action is a "must," and if you carry locked, the safety must
be easily and instinctively movable with one hand to "fire"
from "safe," and loaded magazine substitution can be a
problem. Suitable quick low light target acquisition [not
target] sights should also be a concern as most
confrontations reported to be in dimly lit conditions.

The least I would consider would be a 9M/M parabellem,
preferably using the P++ loading and hollow points. There
are a number of good value weapons available with quick
action safeties, good low light sights (or laser pointers),
and easy magazine reload. If you are not particularly
sensitive to muzzle flash and recoil a 40 or 45 caliber is
even better, but these have astounding muzzle blast/flash
when fired in low light conditions (which may be beneficial
in communicating to the perp they should be in a different
line of work, even if you totally miss...)

The rimmed version of the 9m/m for revolver use is the 38
special, and Smith makes a 357 chambering on the medium K
frame which is ideal for carry with a 3 or 4 inch barrel.
Again the muzzle blast and fireball from a full pressure 357
in a three inch barrel is quite impressive, but you can use
38 special blooper [wad cutter] loads for practice and/or 38
special hollow point carry rounds if you are especially
sensitive, although in an actual combat situation this will
be the least of your worries. Again low light [not target]
sights/target acquisition may be a concern.

One cheap fix is to paint the front and rear sights with
high visibility white, yellow or orange air plane dope to
make these stand out in low light against a dark background.

Of almost equal importance to the firearm is the holster,
which must be both secure and easily accessible. If you
chose a semi-automatic, I would suggest a suitable rig
should also include secure storage and easy access for two
magazines.

It is worth remembering that in a confrontation with a
criminal, even a 25 automatic is better than nothing, and a
weapon with which you are familiar, comfortable, and in
which you have confidence, is far superior to even the
perfect weapon which is strange, and with which you have had
minimal or no experience/practice.

You need not buy a new weapon, but try to stick to one of
the major brands. In this case function trumps
appearence/status.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-13, RogerN wrote:

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

It makes sense that a dealer recommends to buy a gun.

But it makes no sense to buy it. Just carry the one you have./

The chances of you using your gun while carrying concealed are very
small and the risk of getting it confiscated are minuscule.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-13, RogerN wrote:

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to
draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

It makes sense that a dealer recommends to buy a gun.

He was a dealer but gave it up, he sold guns at a good price but I'm
guessing didn't make enough money to continue. So he makes no money if I
buy a smaller gun.

But it makes no sense to buy it. Just carry the one you have./

My 2 pistols are a Ruger P89T, large frame and as smooth as a staple gun,
and a S&W 44Mag with 8-3/8" barrel, neither is ideal for concealed carry. I
have shot the Ruger 9mm quite a bit and even though it's not smooth, I got
to where I can hit stuff with it. Shot a small bird across the pond, shot
some wasps, snakes, turtles (head shot on a good size snapper). But with
guns that large, I wouldn't want to carry them, I'm thinking about maybe a
410 gauge/45 long colt derringer plus maybe a semi-auto or a revolver.

The chances of you using your gun while carrying concealed are very
small and the risk of getting it confiscated are minuscule.

I agree, but some of the "very reliable" models are under $500 while others
are over $1000. I'd kind of like a .22(mag?) for practicing with, I'm
thinking a shot between the eyes with a 22 might be better than a non-vital
body shot with a larger caliber.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-13, RogerN wrote:

[...]

My current plans are to carry my Beretta 92

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-13, RogerN wrote:

[...]

Roger , my Ruger is a P90 , very similar to your 9 . Shoulder rig under a
shirt or light jacket , or a belt holster under a shirt , vest , or jacket
sweatshirt work well for me . Not totally invisible but ya gotta know what
to look for . BTW , I'm a kinda skinny guy at 150 or so and 5'7" .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You going to trust your life to a POS?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/13/2012 6:18 PM, RogerN wrote:

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

I used to carry a S&W 442 Airweight .38 +p with wadcutters. I don't
have any guns anymore but I still teach CCW, In-home Defense, Out of
home Defense, Basic Pistol, Metallic Cartridge and Shotshell Reloading.
But, I don't have any guns!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What would you have to give up, if you were a drivers ed instructor? Or, if
you decided to teach sex ed, and reproductive responsibility? Or.....
enquiring minds want to know!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message

I used to carry a S&W 442 Airweight .38 +p with wadcutters. I don't
have any guns anymore but I still teach CCW, In-home Defense, Out of
home Defense, Basic Pistol, Metallic Cartridge and Shotshell Reloading.
But, I don't have any guns!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/14/2012 8:35 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
What would you have to give up, if you were a drivers ed instructor? Or, if
you decided to teach sex ed, and reproductive responsibility? Or.....
enquiring minds want to know!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Whatever is politically incorrect and/or whatever the far, far leftists
demand. The nail that sticks up gets pounded down! The leftists see
nails everywhere!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Whatever is politically incorrect and/or whatever the far, far leftists
demand. The nail that sticks up gets pounded down! The leftists see
nails everywhere!

And constantly flatten their fingers with the hammers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 13:16:36 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Whatever is politically incorrect and/or whatever the far, far leftists
demand. The nail that sticks up gets pounded down! The leftists see
nails everywhere!

And constantly flatten their fingers with the hammers.

This ain't Japan, either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

You going to trust your life to a POS?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Your reply assumes a lower priced gun is a POS, why?

Most of the time the worlds safest automobile, the worlds most reliable
automobile, and the worlds most expensive automobile isn't the same
automobile. Likewise the worlds best CCW gun is not necessarily the worlds
most expensive CCW gun.

I have a Savage 22-250 that has never misfired even though it's a lower
priced gun. One of the reasons it is lower priced is that it's not finished
a pretty as a Winchester or Remington, but it shoots good, accurate, and so
far 100% reliable in the ~9 years I've owned it.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Whatever is politically incorrect and/or whatever the far, far leftists
demand. The nail that sticks up gets pounded down! The leftists see
nails everywhere!

And constantly flatten their fingers with the hammers.

Damn good observation!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I grew up with a Dad who said "you get about
what you pay for".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

You going to trust your life to a POS?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Your reply assumes a lower priced gun is a POS, why?

Most of the time the worlds safest automobile, the worlds most reliable
automobile, and the worlds most expensive automobile isn't the same
automobile. Likewise the worlds best CCW gun is not necessarily the worlds
most expensive CCW gun.

I have a Savage 22-250 that has never misfired even though it's a lower
priced gun. One of the reasons it is lower priced is that it's not finished
a pretty as a Winchester or Remington, but it shoots good, accurate, and so
far 100% reliable in the ~9 years I've owned it.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

380 caliber is the smallest..smallest..reliable problem stopper. And
then it will take mulitiple hits with a .380.

9mm is the smallest cartridge Id ever carry. Period. End program.
Full stop.

And the vast majority of my carry guns all start with .4x

A good .357 Mag with a decent 125gr jhp is pretty good as well..but
LOUD as hell.

Check out the Firestars in 9mm or .40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ub467VYz_c

This is what I carry each and every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnMWot0-9vs

Reviews of "pocket" 9mms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEnqoS77y9I

The PF9 has a lot going for it..and its DAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

These guys are treating the weapon like a "range gun"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZ3j_Rf1DI

Quality with this arm has been spotty.

Now there are others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQN3SL3tu64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls5OS1BjTjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu9GB35lQcU
(A womans review, quite good.)

Lots of reviews and lots of plus/minus comments on all of them.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:53:27 -0600, Ignoramus26907

On 2012-12-13, RogerN wrote:

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

It makes sense that a dealer recommends to buy a gun.

But it makes no sense to buy it. Just carry the one you have./

The chances of you using your gun while carrying concealed are very
small and the risk of getting it confiscated are minuscule.

Your statements are true...in most places. On the other hand..in your
local...figure the odds.

Though price is the least concern. if you can afford a range of
prices.

1. Does the weapon fit your hand?
2. Can you control it well?
3. Can you shoot it accurately and quickly?
4. Is the weapon build ruggedly for the conditions you will be
carrying it in?
5. Will the weapon last for many years? (if you are a sweater...will
your body sweat damage/destroy a blued firearm? Then plastic or
stainless steel might be better) Dont laugh..its far more common a
problem than you would think it is..
..
;
;
;
Way down the list...

6. Can you comfortably carry it concealed throughout the day?

Im a big guy, not fat, not slender. Blocky. I can and have carried a
full sized 1911 for years on and about my person, concealed. But its
unhandy and not as easy to conceal as a smaller weapon. Same with
wheelguns. I carried a Ruger Redhawk for a week while on a hunting
trip and no one in the party knew I had it on. Shrug. They found out
when I had to put down a hog with a head shot that another hunter had
crippled but not killed. Thats not a small gun by any stretch of the
imagination. But Ive carried weapons for years and know how best to do
it.....for me and my body type. Shrug.

But seriously...again ...a .380 should be considered way way down
around #174. 9mm at the smallest, .40 S&W should be the middle and
..45ACP or 44 Special should be the top. No more cartridge than those
are necessary for 2 legged varmints.

All of which are readily available in readily concealed sidearms.

Go to a range that rents pistols and shoot a few magazines though each
one. Or go to a busy pistol range and ask to shoot the various pistols
people are shooting. Simply tell them you are trying to find a weapon
that fits properly. When you lift your hand...the sights should be
already aligned..thats a good fit. Having to hunt for sights..will
slow you down..sometimes a lot. Having it fit your hand while you are
firing it is critical.

Fit, function...then form.

Pocket guns are NOT range guns. They are last resort weapons. But
they should fit your hand properly, be reliable, easy to shoot, easy
to reload and then..able to be carried concealed. That last may take
some work..but its entirely doable.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-13, RogerN wrote:

[...]

The Judge really sucks. And unless you have ever fired a 410/45 LC
from a derringer...put it at the bottom of your list. Way way down.
They kick like a son of a bitch and you only have 2 shots.

The chances of you using your gun while carrying concealed are very
small and the risk of getting it confiscated are minuscule.

I agree, but some of the "very reliable" models are under $500 while others
are over $1000. I'd kind of like a .22(mag?) for practicing with, I'm
thinking a shot between the eyes with a 22 might be better than a non-vital
body shot with a larger caliber.

RogerN

Nice wishful thinking, but while true on paper...it doesnt work out
that way in the real world.

Shoot for center of mass and anchor the perp. Biggest target area,
and easier to hit when both of you are moving. Hit him with something
that will HURT him with each shot. Not just **** him off.

The whole idea is to put him down NOW..not after he has beat you to
death with your empty gun.

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-13, RogerN wrote:

[...]

If you can tuck it away properly concealed..go for it. And shoot
proper JHP ammo. Dont bother with hardball. It will stop..but it
takes a while. Time you may not have.

And check it with the ammo you are going to carry!! The 9mm is known
for feeding FMJs fine..and choking on hollowpoints.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 00:16:46 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 12/13/2012 6:18 PM, RogerN wrote:

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

I used to carry a S&W 442 Airweight .38 +p with wadcutters. I don't
have any guns anymore but I still teach CCW, In-home Defense, Out of
home Defense, Basic Pistol, Metallic Cartridge and Shotshell Reloading.
But, I don't have any guns!

hollow based wad cutters turned backwards? Or straight wad cutters
nose on? If the latter..go to SWC...they feed so much better into a
wheel gun.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 13, 4:18*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? *A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. *He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

Are you carrying "just in case" or is the threat level high enough to
consider heavier weapons? If you're a civilian, pulling a gun is
applying deadly force, you don't do it unless your life is in danger,
you WILL end up in jail otherwise If that's the case, I'd want the
largest caliber I could comfortably carry. .380 doesn't qualify for
me, I've chronoed some out of my granddad's Colt.

Looked at the Kimber Solo, it's a real 9mm about the size of the old
Colt 1908. I've got a Glock 29 in 10mm, it's a little fat for summer
carry, but does well with winter jackets. I feel comfortable that.38
Special +P and above will stop most opponents, YMMV. But any gun is
better than no gun at all...

If you use deadly force, confiscation of your gun for evidence is
going to be the least of your financial worries. The lawyer that
taught the CCW class says he starts with a $5K retainer and it goes
from there. There's a book out there, "After You Shoot: Your gun's
hot. The perp's not. Now what?", details what you'd get put through.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

That is a good gun. Small. Concealable. Not a lot of stopping power, tho.
There are different schools of thought on this. My last class was taught by
Bill Irwin, Las Vegas Metro Officer. He drilled us that you want to be
beaten to the edge of consciousness before you draw and fire, because if you
don't, you will lose all you own in court costs and lawyers.

I carry a Keltec 3AT, a .380, and also have a S&W 2 1/8" barrel .357 5 shot
that I like because it hides well in its Safariland paddle holster on the
back of my skinny hip. Anything else on me looks like I'm shoplifting a
loaf of bread. And he drilled on us that if your gun is SEEN, and someone
calls it in, and the police respond, you will be given ONE letter of
reprimand, and the second time it happens, it's goodbye permit, so pick
something that's CONCEALABLE.

I'm not a fan of carrying what I would field carry if I were in a firefight
situation, mostly because of concealability. I have rethought my strategies
and scenarios, and now I would retreat, retreat, retreat. If cornered, I
would let them get in a couple of evidentiary licks. If struck, I'd just
start shooting, and even my little .380 popgun will poke enough holes to
break off the attack, or damage the bad guy. Especially if he was close
enough to be hitting me.

And, he said, as another poster did here, to stand in front of your mirror,
and with your prayers, and your "Yes, dear", and "I love you" practices, to
say why you shot ...... "I shot to end the attack. I shot to end the
attack. I shot to end the attack." Say it until it will roll off your
lips, because that's what the LEO will be writing down.

Yes, I would like a smallish .45 carry pistol, but now I have to go for
carpal tunnel syndrome surgery, and I can't even get a pill bottle open. My
..357 would probably launch back in my face if I fired it now.

What YOU should carry is up to you, your attitude, your body configuration,
the amount of clothes you wear in your location, and several other things.
And for me, one of the major ones is how the gun fits my hand, tho the
Keltec is horrible fitting in my hand. But I can put it in just about any
pocket, and no one knows I have a gun. Fergeddabout the Uncle Mike's inside
the belt holster, it falls out. Might have to put some Velcro on it. Have
dropped it in public more than once.

My scenario calls for me to be in close, not to take any shot more than 7
feet. I have years of Greco-Roman wrestling experience, and if I can get in
close and tie you up, I'll best you, or at least put some powder burns in
there with the bullet holes. You can't miss with contact wounds.

MHO, YMMV, and all that.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/18/2012 10:46 AM, Steve B wrote:
"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at work
recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your weapon. He
thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

RogerN

That is a good gun. Small. Concealable. Not a lot of stopping power, tho.
There are different schools of thought on this. My last class was taught by
Bill Irwin, Las Vegas Metro Officer. He drilled us that you want to be
beaten to the edge of consciousness before you draw and fire, because if you
don't, you will lose all you own in court costs and lawyers.

Of course, the cops themselves don't adhere to that. They haul out
their iron and blast away, then cue up the "reaching in his waistband" tape.

No one except cops who have shot someone ever use the word "waistband."
It's a complete giveaway.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leroy ProudEagle Garcia" wrote

Of course, the cops themselves don't adhere to that. They haul out their
iron and blast away, then cue up the "reaching in his waistband" tape.

No one except cops who have shot someone ever use the word "waistband."
It's a complete giveaway.

It is also notable at this point to mention that US DOJ is doing an
investigation into ALL of the officer involved shootings in Las Vegas dating
way back. Hope they do something, because, IMHO, there were some bad
shoots. One was a mentally ill man who had a knife, and was surrounded by
6-8 officers. I think they could have used LTL loads, or some other means
of subduing the man. There were others that were "questionable."

We'll see what DOJ comes up with.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/18/2012 10:58 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Leroy ProudEagle Garcia" wrote

Of course, the cops themselves don't adhere to that. They haul out their
iron and blast away, then cue up the "reaching in his waistband" tape.

No one except cops who have shot someone ever use the word "waistband."
It's a complete giveaway.

It is also notable at this point to mention that US DOJ is doing an
investigation into ALL of the officer involved shootings in Las Vegas dating
way back. Hope they do something, because, IMHO, there were some bad
shoots. One was a mentally ill man who had a knife, and was surrounded by
6-8 officers. I think they could have used LTL loads, or some other means
of subduing the man. There were others that were "questionable."

We'll see what DOJ comes up with.

The bad shoot that stands out to me is the 1979 LAPD shooting of Eulia
Love. Two cops confronted Love over a $23 unpaid gas bill. She was
holding a knife approximately 11" in length. She became belligerent and
irrational, and threw the knife at the two cops. She was unarmed at
that point. Both cops emptied their revolvers at her, hitting with
eight shots. The corrupt chief at the time, Darryl Gates, said the cops
acted within policy. A subsequent police commission investigation
concluded the two cops acted outside of policy, but because Gates had
refused to impose any discipline on them, the commission concluded that
for them to attempt to discipline the cops would amount to a due process
violation.