Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default OT- Concealed Carry Recommendations

RogerN wrote:

On 2012-12-13, RogerN wrote:

Any favorites for a concealed carry pistol? A former gun dealer at
work recommended getting an inexpensive gun because he said if you
have to draw
on someone, it is likely that the police will confiscate your
weapon. He thought the Ruger 380 Auto would be good.

It makes sense that a dealer recommends to buy a gun.

He was a dealer but gave it up, he sold guns at a good price but I'm
guessing didn't make enough money to continue. So he makes no money
if I buy a smaller gun.

But it makes no sense to buy it. Just carry the one you have./

My 2 pistols are a Ruger P89T, large frame and as smooth as a staple
gun, and a S&W 44Mag with 8-3/8" barrel, neither is ideal for
concealed carry. I have shot the Ruger 9mm quite a bit and even
though it's not smooth, I got to where I can hit stuff with it. Shot
a small bird across the pond, shot some wasps, snakes, turtles (head
shot on a good size snapper). But with guns that large, I wouldn't
want to carry them, I'm thinking about maybe a 410 gauge/45 long colt
derringer plus maybe a semi-auto or a revolver.
The chances of you using your gun while carrying concealed are very
small and the risk of getting it confiscated are minuscule.

I agree, but some of the "very reliable" models are under $500 while
others are over $1000. I'd kind of like a .22(mag?) for practicing
with, I'm thinking a shot between the eyes with a 22 might be better
than a non-vital body shot with a larger caliber.

RogerN

Roger , my Ruger is a P90 , very similar to your 9 . Shoulder rig under a
shirt or light jacket , or a belt holster under a shirt , vest , or jacket
sweatshirt work well for me . Not totally invisible but ya gotta know what
to look for . BTW , I'm a kinda skinny guy at 150 or so and 5'7" .
--
Snag
Learning keeps